Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skiing and HPDE, is there a connection?.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:53 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Skiing and HPDE, is there a connection?.......

I have heard from several drivers that skiing is somewhat similar to high performance driving/ racing........

I just don't see it....

Today for example, spent most of the day on the slopes at Sugar Bush, OK, granted I am a beginner, (I grew up at the ocean) and thus in my old age I am trying to learn an new trick and keep up with my wife and kids, but...... believe it or not as soon as I started picking up speed my fear factor starts increasing until I would wipe out.....

So how is it possible that speed in a track car is an adrenaline rush, total exilaration and speed on skis is scary?......

Maybe it is just me, but I just don't see connection between the two. The only explanation I have is that I have control of my track car, but no control of my skis....

Maybe I should move somewhere South where there is no snow and track events all year around........
Old 02-09-2008, 06:59 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I have heard from several drivers that skiing is somewhat similar to high performance driving/ racing........

as soon as I started picking up speed my fear factor starts increasing until I would wipe out.....

So how is it possible that speed in a track car is an adrenaline rush, total exilaration and speed on skis is scary?......

:
Maybe its because you know how to drive, and you don't know how to ski???
Old 02-09-2008, 07:05 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Maybe its because you know how to drive, and you don't know how to ski???
Lots of people would also argue that I don't know how to drive......
Old 02-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dr. Pain, the skiing - track driving comparison is usually used in reference to "looking ahead to where you want to go, not looking where you are". Of course, developing the ability to read your skis and the reaction to the surface, making quick adjustments to avoid big "offs", etc. all apply too. If you aren't looking ahead while skiing quickly, don't do it! Similar to "target fixation", etc.

Now "Lodging" while at a ski resort.....then it is fine to look at where you are, if that is where you are trying to end up....if you know what I mean.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:10 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

I hear you loud and clear Professor Bull......
Old 02-09-2008, 07:31 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paolo, I grew up 15 minutes from the beach. I used to ski and changed to snowboarding about 10 years ago. There are similarities and differences.

You are worried about other jackasses cutting off in both. You are worried about the slow-moving obstacles in your way in both. You always wonder if you're carrying too much spped into a turn in both. You have to look ahead (as previously mentioned) in both. And the big one.... when you wreck, it's a pain in your *** (skiing is the physical type, cars is the wallet type).

The difference is that it's easier to ensure your safety through equipment and who you 'ride' with in a car. You (assuming you don't smoke) don't lose performance at altitude when skiing. When skiing, if your 'engine' blows you go drink beer until the next day. Skiing/snowboarding is much much much much much less expensive.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:31 PM
jester911
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well one reason its not as scary in a car as it is on skis is that in a car you have a little protection when you hit a tree.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:33 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jester911
Well one reason its not as scary in a car as it is on skis is that in a car you have a little protection when you hit a tree.
That's an important consideration for him since he is from Massholechusetts.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:37 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyingDog
That's an important consideration for him since he is from Massholechusetts.
Please, don't even remind me.......
Old 02-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the skiing analogy all the time with my students. Beginners look at the tips of their skis, wait until they are already leaving the mogul behind and turn too late. As you get better, you learn to keep your head up (hands forward), looking ahead and down slope - not at the tips of the skis. With DE drivers, it's keep the eyes ahead and look through the turn in point through the apex to the track out point. Don't concentrate on looking for some stupid cone (on the wrong/other side of the track) as the indication to turn in.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:51 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom W
I use the skiing analogy all the time with my students. Beginners look at the tips of their skis, wait until they are already leaving the mogul behind and turn too late.
Mogul?.....No, not for me, I don't want to break a leg, DE season is coming up soon.....
Old 02-09-2008, 08:25 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's about being 100% in control of being 100% out of control...

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...-is-speed.html

I've been skiing since I was 4 years old, raced a bunch in my younger years, taught for several years, and feel a real strong connection between the two activities.

edit: this link might work better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iAygsv2MD0
Old 02-09-2008, 09:51 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD

I just don't see it....

Today for example, spent most of the day on the slopes at Sugar Bush, OK, granted I am a beginner, (I grew up at the ocean) and thus in my old age I am trying to learn an new trick and keep up with my wife and kids, but...... believe it or not as soon as I started picking up speed my fear factor starts increasing until I would wipe out.....

Maybe it is just me, but I just don't see connection between the two. The only explanation I have is that I have control of my track car, but no control of my skis....

Maybe I should move somewhere South where there is no snow and track events all year around........

Yes HPDE is more dangerous
Old 02-09-2008, 10:24 PM
joel-cs
Instructor

There are tremendous similarities between skiing and driving. The biggest I have noticed as you progress in ability (in both sports) are: (1) weight transfer and (2) line. I am relatively new to driving (2 years), but ski raced at the national level for 15 years. It seems to me that the single most important factor to progressing to a very high level in both sports (aside from psychological and brass *****) is the ability to "feel" the balance, rotation, grip and weight transfer. Once you can turn, the fastest way around the track or through a race course is determined by optimal line -- and the concept of "line" is very similar.

It is interesting to note that in both sports, a great turn starts with the weight at the front of the ski/car, apexes with weight perfectly in the middle and exits with weight biasing toward the rear of the ski/car.

On the flip side, there is a big difference with rotation. To turn well on skis, you need to counter-rotate your body (turn your shoulders the opposite of turning direction), where this clearly isn't possible in a car...
Old 02-09-2008, 10:28 PM
joel-cs
Instructor

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Yes HPDE is more dangerous
Recreational maybe, but my 6 surgeries would argue otherwise about competitive skiing...

Quick Reply: Skiing and HPDE, is there a connection?.......