Sponsored by:

g2x mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:42 AM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default g2x mounting?

Alright, so with only a few days to go until this weekends track event the one last thing i need to do is mount my g2x unit. I have all the wires run to a spot that i thought was "level." Its not entirely level but nothing a few layers of tape cannot fix. So My question is how did you all mount yours? did you bolt it down, Velcro, some quick disconnect thingy?

I'm looking for options so i can take it in/out of the car with not much of a problem. Since the car has no windows I'd like to be able to remove it for towing and paddock over night stays.

TIA
Old 02-07-2008, 09:02 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I used velcro without any problems on the passenger rear floor. I tapped into switched power and ground on the radio and ran a cigarette lighter outlet to under the passenger seat so it was not visible. The velcro may not allow for perfect gforce measurement, but it would be relative.

Good luck.

-Skip
Old 02-07-2008, 01:11 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually you should not mount the box directly to metal where vibration is constant. Since I use to sell these and help people install them I did the following. Definitely mount to a flat surface and if you must shim the box to make it level make sure you shim it all the way under not just on the edges. Next RacePak always recommended putting some dampening under the box to elimite vibrations anyway so I used an old rubber mouse pad and cut it the size of the G2X box bottom. You can also use the mouse pad to shim as well. Then I used a thin piece of aluminum over the mouse pad and bolted the aluminun to the G2X box with the mouse pad inbetween. The I put velcro on the aluminun and velcro'ed box into position. 1) the box does not move if you velcro the entire bottom of the aluminum in my example. 2) you can easily take the box out. 3) it dampens the vibration and you get clean G data always.

I have been doing this for more than 2 years and it works great. Hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:21 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great info Kary - When I install in the new car I'll do it this way.

Why did you stop selling them?

-Skip
Old 02-07-2008, 01:40 PM
kary993
Drifting

When RacePak sold to MSD, MSD did not honor the wholesale agreements and allowed previous MSD customers lower wholesale prices than they would allow the orginal RacePak dealers. Nothing RacePak could do about it unfortuantely as much as they wanted to help, they could not. So after I am undercut, my territory for the dealership is saturated, and I make little off a G2X units it is not worth the effort. For all units I sold I offered unlimited help with set up and also training on the software so they could use them. I went to RacePak for training to be prepared. None of the current dealers do that. It was great until they decided to leave me out in the cold, MSD that is.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:47 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

That sucks Kary - sorry to hear about it.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:39 PM
kary993
Drifting

Originally Posted by swftiii
That sucks Kary - sorry to hear about it.
Yes, it does and it is too bad they sold out to MSD....it was a great product with much potential to overtake the other DA Systems....still might but I won't be a part of it as a dealer.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did similar to the above for the data unit.

For the dash, I bent semi-thick piece of aluminum into an L and bolted it to the car's dash, then velcroed the G2X display with heavy duty velcro to the Aluminum. Ran it that way for over a year in that config.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Skip,

PM Todd Bernard ("Todd B"). He mounted his G2X on the steering column so he can easily see his lap times and shift points.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark,

I have seen Todd's install and it is nice. I'll probably just mount it like I did in the C4S for the time being as that will be the least of my concerns for a while and it is still easy to see.

When am I going to see your install Mark...DAS, everyone is doing it...:O

Skip
Old 02-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swftiii
Mark,

I have seen Todd's install and it is nice. I'll probably just mount it like I did in the C4S for the time being as that will be the least of my concerns for a while and it is still easy to see.

When am I going to see your install Mark...DAS, everyone is doing it...:O

Skip
It may be a long while, Skip. I just don't feel like bothering with it. I know I should, but I'd rather spend the money on HGH therapy for my *****.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Mark - the therapy is the last on the list of excuse elimination...

1. Transmission grinds into 3rd - fixed
2. Engine running on 5 cyl - fixed
3. No data so i'm lost - full AIM system so that excuse is gone
4. No ***** - Always can fall back on that one!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

LOL, Gary. I think I'm going to up my game just by flooring it more and braking less, pure and simple. It seemed to somewhat help for last year.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

My original mentor, Dan J. once said - "Brakes just slow you down".... truer words were never spoken.

Quick Reply: g2x mounting?