Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel Trailer in GA... Thoughts vs. Aluminum

 
Old 02-05-2008, 06:39 PM
  #16  
Mike S.
User
 
Mike S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 684
Default

Originally Posted by 007DT View Post


Seriously?
Aluminum...last 10 years...

Last edited by Mike S.; 12-28-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Mike S. is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 06:56 PM
  #17  
wanna911
Super User
 
wanna911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: With A Manual Transmission
Posts: 4,718
Default

Originally Posted by Slantnose! View Post
I don't think so...
A guy I know tows an enclosed 20' with one fine.
I towed a steel trailer with an Bravada...they're like only 1100lbs.
LOL, my QX-56 can barely tow an empty 28 ft enclosed steel trailer it gets tossed all over the place. I would bet money it's not very comfortable to drive with a car that small and a steel enclosed trailer, I'm going to have to not beleive that one.


As for the open trialer, I there is not a full steel open car hauler that weighs 1100 lbs. Heck that is what my aluminum weighs and it's 18 ft. Maybe the wood floor steel trailer is around that weight (which most are understated in terms of weight).


Like I said, it's worth his time to go and try it for himself, I'll even let him hook mine up afterwards to see the difference, I live 5 minutes from RPM and Road Atlanta. IT wont hurt anything for him to at least see what he prefers, but a VW touareg towing a 20 ft enclosed steel trialer (especially with a car in it) is well past far fetched. Not impossible, but not very safe either.
wanna911 is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 05:41 AM
  #18  
Slantnose!
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Slantnose!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 2,312
Default

Hey, that's cool.
FWIW, my open Econotrailer trailer weighs that, it does not have a solid floor.
Yes, the owner of the Diasio 962 Turbo "R" down in FL does tow an enclosed like I mentioned.
Sure, I bet it's not as great as a dually but it works for him.
I am no way a trailer expert like you, just was adding what I know.
Slantnose! is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 05:56 AM
  #19  
wanna911
Super User
 
wanna911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: With A Manual Transmission
Posts: 4,718
Default

Originally Posted by Slantnose! View Post
Hey, that's cool.
FWIW, my open Econotrailer trailer weighs that, it does not have a solid floor.
Yes, the owner of the Diasio 962 Turbo "R" down in FL does tow an enclosed like I mentioned.
Sure, I bet it's not as great as a dually but it works for him.
I am no way a trailer expert like you, just was adding what I know.
I'm not an expert, but I know one, and as comfy as I am driving with mine, I know how that steel enclosed 28 footer tossed it to an fro like a rag doll and I have vowed never to connect it to my truck ever again.

I only advise him to do his due diligence as it is a pretty sizeable investment (figuratively and literally). Dont just take word of mouth through the grapevine, because at the end of the day, he has to pay for it and drive it.
wanna911 is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 02:38 PM
  #20  
007DT
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
007DT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 2,919
Default PULLED THE TRIGGER

Thanks again for all the input...

I've towed alot w/ my T-Reg and I don't feel the weight being too much of an issue for the amount of use/milage I'll be using the car hauler for.

My Boat w/ trailer weighed 5,800 lb (Surge Brakes)(sold for P-Car)
I rented a UHaul Trailer last year once and had my P-Car on it.. It was heavy but plenty stable IMO. I called UHaul and found out that their trailers empty weigh 4,000lbs & I had a loaded car and my P-Car.

So I pulled the trigger on this:

2007 18' Steel 2' stone Guard, Tire Rack, Electric Disc Brakes, Removable Fenders, less than 400mi. on it.. $2K I pick it up Saturday.
Attached Images    
007DT is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 02:47 PM
  #21  
Noel
User
 
Noel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 786
Default

Originally Posted by Slantnose! View Post
I don't think so...
A guy I know tows an enclosed 20' with one fine.
I towed a steel trailer with an Bravada...they're like only 1100lbs.
Just because he can tow it, doesn't mean that he can stop it or control it if/when something happens on the road. The MB has such a short wheelbase that it is really simple physics of the tail wagging the dog. Good luck and tow safe.
Noel is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 04:48 PM
  #22  
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member
 
MUSSBERGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Down on Penny's farm
Posts: 19,350
Default

Originally Posted by 007DT View Post
Thanks again for all the input...

I've towed alot w/ my T-Reg and I don't feel the weight being too much of an issue for the amount of use/milage I'll be using the car hauler for.

My Boat w/ trailer weighed 5,800 lb (Surge Brakes)(sold for P-Car)
I rented a UHaul Trailer last year once and had my P-Car on it.. It was heavy but plenty stable IMO. I called UHaul and found out that their trailers empty weigh 4,000lbs & I had a loaded car and my P-Car.

So I pulled the trigger on this:

2007 18' Steel 2' stone Guard, Tire Rack, Electric Disc Brakes, Removable Fenders, less than 400mi. on it.. $2K I pick it up Saturday.
Nice deal!
MUSSBERGER is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 10:01 PM
  #23  
bobt993
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
bobt993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philly Burbs
Posts: 3,051
Default

007, I towed for two years with a Twag and it worked just fine. My prior trailer was an older Trailex and the new one is a Motiv. Add the load stabilizer, it will diminish the tail wag which you will get occasionally. I now tow with a Titan and will likely move enclosed next season.
bobt993 is offline  
Old 02-07-2008, 09:04 AM
  #24  
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Bull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,346
Default

Originally Posted by Noel View Post
Just because he can tow it, doesn't mean that he can stop it or control it if/when something happens on the road. The MB has such a short wheelbase that it is really simple physics of the tail wagging the dog. Good luck and tow safe.
Excellent point. To me "towing" a trailer means pulling it, stopping it and controlling its actions in all conditions/situations. It seems many people say a vehicle can "tow" a trailer when they really mean the vehicle can "pull" the trailer.
Bull is offline  
Old 02-07-2008, 10:42 AM
  #25  
wanna911
Super User
 
wanna911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: With A Manual Transmission
Posts: 4,718
Default

Originally Posted by Bull View Post
Excellent point. To me "towing" a trailer means pulling it, stopping it and controlling its actions in all conditions/situations. It seems many people say a vehicle can "tow" a trailer when they really mean the vehicle can "pull" the trailer.
I agree, hence my persistance. I had a blow out on my tow vehicle on the way back from the drag strip in Macon, a guy pulled up next to me right before it happened and pointed at the tire and did the throat slahser, as I started to move over from almost farthest left lane, the tire gave, had I not had road course experience in lightning quick corrections I would have hit the upcoming steel side barrier for sure, or worse. After towing a steel enclosed trailer, I know for a fact I would have had no chance with that thing. So that's the reason for my concern, nothing else.

My aluminum trailer is something that I hated paying what I did when I bought it, but sure am glad I have it now.
wanna911 is offline  
Old 02-07-2008, 01:05 PM
  #26  
007DT
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
007DT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 2,919
Default

Stopping is more important than going, no doubt. Keep in mind that this trailer has electric brakes on it and I'm having a good controller put on my vehicle. Also have you ever seen the size of the brakes on a V8 T-Reg? They are HUGE...

Again, I appreciate all the feedback.
007DT is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steel Trailer in GA... Thoughts vs. Aluminum


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: