Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT

Seriously?
Aluminum...last 10 years...

Last edited by Mike S.; 12-28-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:56 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slantnose!
I don't think so...
A guy I know tows an enclosed 20' with one fine.
I towed a steel trailer with an Bravada...they're like only 1100lbs.
LOL, my QX-56 can barely tow an empty 28 ft enclosed steel trailer it gets tossed all over the place. I would bet money it's not very comfortable to drive with a car that small and a steel enclosed trailer, I'm going to have to not beleive that one.

As for the open trialer, I there is not a full steel open car hauler that weighs 1100 lbs. Heck that is what my aluminum weighs and it's 18 ft. Maybe the wood floor steel trailer is around that weight (which most are understated in terms of weight).

Like I said, it's worth his time to go and try it for himself, I'll even let him hook mine up afterwards to see the difference, I live 5 minutes from RPM and Road Atlanta. IT wont hurt anything for him to at least see what he prefers, but a VW touareg towing a 20 ft enclosed steel trialer (especially with a car in it) is well past far fetched. Not impossible, but not very safe either.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:41 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey, that's cool.
FWIW, my open Econotrailer trailer weighs that, it does not have a solid floor.
Yes, the owner of the Diasio 962 Turbo "R" down in FL does tow an enclosed like I mentioned.
Sure, I bet it's not as great as a dually but it works for him.
I am no way a trailer expert like you, just was adding what I know.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:56 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Hey, that's cool.
FWIW, my open Econotrailer trailer weighs that, it does not have a solid floor.
Yes, the owner of the Diasio 962 Turbo "R" down in FL does tow an enclosed like I mentioned.
Sure, I bet it's not as great as a dually but it works for him.
I am no way a trailer expert like you, just was adding what I know.
I'm not an expert, but I know one, and as comfy as I am driving with mine, I know how that steel enclosed 28 footer tossed it to an fro like a rag doll and I have vowed never to connect it to my truck ever again.

I only advise him to do his due diligence as it is a pretty sizeable investment (figuratively and literally). Dont just take word of mouth through the grapevine, because at the end of the day, he has to pay for it and drive it.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:38 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Default PULLED THE TRIGGER

Thanks again for all the input...

I've towed alot w/ my T-Reg and I don't feel the weight being too much of an issue for the amount of use/milage I'll be using the car hauler for.

My Boat w/ trailer weighed 5,800 lb (Surge Brakes)(sold for P-Car)
I rented a UHaul Trailer last year once and had my P-Car on it.. It was heavy but plenty stable IMO. I called UHaul and found out that their trailers empty weigh 4,000lbs & I had a loaded car and my P-Car.

So I pulled the trigger on this:

2007 18' Steel 2' stone Guard, Tire Rack, Electric Disc Brakes, Removable Fenders, less than 400mi. on it.. $2K I pick it up Saturday.
Attached Images    
Old 02-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Noel
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think so...
A guy I know tows an enclosed 20' with one fine.
I towed a steel trailer with an Bravada...they're like only 1100lbs.
Just because he can tow it, doesn't mean that he can stop it or control it if/when something happens on the road. The MB has such a short wheelbase that it is really simple physics of the tail wagging the dog. Good luck and tow safe.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:48 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
Thanks again for all the input...

I've towed alot w/ my T-Reg and I don't feel the weight being too much of an issue for the amount of use/milage I'll be using the car hauler for.

My Boat w/ trailer weighed 5,800 lb (Surge Brakes)(sold for P-Car)
I rented a UHaul Trailer last year once and had my P-Car on it.. It was heavy but plenty stable IMO. I called UHaul and found out that their trailers empty weigh 4,000lbs & I had a loaded car and my P-Car.

So I pulled the trigger on this:

2007 18' Steel 2' stone Guard, Tire Rack, Electric Disc Brakes, Removable Fenders, less than 400mi. on it.. $2K I pick it up Saturday.
Nice deal!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:01 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

007, I towed for two years with a Twag and it worked just fine. My prior trailer was an older Trailex and the new one is a Motiv. Add the load stabilizer, it will diminish the tail wag which you will get occasionally. I now tow with a Titan and will likely move enclosed next season.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Noel
Just because he can tow it, doesn't mean that he can stop it or control it if/when something happens on the road. The MB has such a short wheelbase that it is really simple physics of the tail wagging the dog. Good luck and tow safe.
Excellent point. To me "towing" a trailer means pulling it, stopping it and controlling its actions in all conditions/situations. It seems many people say a vehicle can "tow" a trailer when they really mean the vehicle can "pull" the trailer.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:42 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bull
Excellent point. To me "towing" a trailer means pulling it, stopping it and controlling its actions in all conditions/situations. It seems many people say a vehicle can "tow" a trailer when they really mean the vehicle can "pull" the trailer.
I agree, hence my persistance. I had a blow out on my tow vehicle on the way back from the drag strip in Macon, a guy pulled up next to me right before it happened and pointed at the tire and did the throat slahser, as I started to move over from almost farthest left lane, the tire gave, had I not had road course experience in lightning quick corrections I would have hit the upcoming steel side barrier for sure, or worse. After towing a steel enclosed trailer, I know for a fact I would have had no chance with that thing. So that's the reason for my concern, nothing else.

My aluminum trailer is something that I hated paying what I did when I bought it, but sure am glad I have it now.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:05 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Stopping is more important than going, no doubt. Keep in mind that this trailer has electric brakes on it and I'm having a good controller put on my vehicle. Also have you ever seen the size of the brakes on a V8 T-Reg? They are HUGE...

Again, I appreciate all the feedback.

Quick Reply: Steel Trailer in GA... Thoughts vs. Aluminum