Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few More Rolex 24 Photos

Better late than never I guess...
Attached Images        
Old 02-03-2008, 01:35 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might call them late but I think they look great.

ok, that was awful but the pics do look great!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:44 PM
DallasC4S
Advanced

Great shots! How did you get so close? Do you have a press pass?

I'm also curious about how you got the lighting right in the last shot. I'm an amateur photographer and can't figure out how you stopped the cars in action with very little light. The Ferris wheel in the background should be streaked across the picture as you panned with the car. You must have had a monster F1.4 lens.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:04 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

Still think that car with Steve McQueen's eyes in the back is "creepy" looking... how'd you like to be following that into the bus stop at something like 160mph???

BTW, great shots- gotta get back there- haven't been to a 24 there since the late 70's, when it was really DARK at night!!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:27 PM
DanR
Drifting

great pics!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Blackness
Pro

Thanks for the compliments! I'm strictly an amateur. I'm using a Canon Rebel XTi, which is my first digital SLR that I've had for about a year now. This is the fourth race I've shot, starting with the Rolex last year. I also was at Sebring and Petit Le Mans and of course the Rolex this year. I learn something every new race and my keeper ratio on the panning shots is increasing.

DallasC4S - I didn't have a press pass, but I was able to snag a pit pass Sat. evening. The only shot in this series that came from the pits is the #85 going across the start/finish. All the pics except #6 of the cars streaming by were taken with a Canon 70-200 f4L. Pics #1 and 2 also had a 1.4x that a buddy let me borrow for a few shots. That definitely let me get tighter. But most of the pics have a small amount of crop that makes it look like I have a lot more lens. The 10 Mpixel sensor on the XTi helps in getting away with the crops.

For the ferris wheel shot, I had the ISO all the way up to 1600. I certainly could have used a faster lens at night. The shutter speed was at 1/125s. There is a small amount of background blur as I was panning to keep the cars in focus. This is the first time I've taken these types of shots at night. And I'm not good enough with the pans yet to get many keepers at a slower shutter speed.

Quick Reply: A Few More Rolex 24 Photos