Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best PCA region in the Northeast for driving events?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fuenfer
The NJ Jersey Shore Region will be putting together two events this year at the new Thunderbolt Raceway in Millville, NJ. JSR hasn't run any events in the past couple of years, but the guys putting together these new events are nice, down to earth guys. I anticipate that they'll be putting together a couple of great events.
Do you have the dates?
Old 02-04-2008, 01:25 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it's all dependent on what you are looking for.

Do you want lots of events and your schedule limits you to weekends? NNJR is the group for you then. Be warned, a lot of people also like to run on weekends, so the events tend to be full.

Do you want lots of near-solo time and you can drive on weekdays? Then Schattenbaum is a great club.

BTW: There is LOTS of middle ground between these two clubs. NY Metro and Potomac are very close to NNJR. I'm sure there are many clubs that are similar to Schattenbaum.

The nice thing right now is that there is almost no region that can sell out an event with just their own membership (at least not on the first day), so you can look at your schedule and choose the events that works for you.

If you want to stick with one club so that you can build up a "resume" so that you can be promoted into higher run groups, then I'd stick with a club that does a bunch of days. It'll take more time to advance (simply because they have more people to put into relatively fewer spots), but when you do advance you'll have better skills.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:05 AM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
I think it's all dependent on what you are looking for.

Do you want lots of events and your schedule limits you to weekends? NNJR is the group for you then. Be warned, a lot of people also like to run on weekends, so the events tend to be full.

Do you want lots of near-solo time and you can drive on weekdays? Then Schattenbaum is a great club.

BTW: There is LOTS of middle ground between these two clubs. NY Metro and Potomac are very close to NNJR. I'm sure there are many clubs that are similar to Schattenbaum.

The nice thing right now is that there is almost no region that can sell out an event with just their own membership (at least not on the first day), so you can look at your schedule and choose the events that works for you.

If you want to stick with one club so that you can build up a "resume" so that you can be promoted into higher run groups, then I'd stick with a club that does a bunch of days. It'll take more time to advance (simply because they have more people to put into relatively fewer spots), but when you do advance you'll have better skills.
Thanks for the input. The bottom line is I want to learn how to drive well and have fun doing it.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:15 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO Potomac and NNJR are only close in the fact that both put on many and weekend events. Potomac does not require you pay and also peform busy work.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:54 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Do you have the dates?
According to the JSR website, their events are on September 10-11th and October 3rd-5th. The September date will be on the Thunderbolt course, while the latter date will be on the Lightning course.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:46 PM
TraqBayB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to learn to drive well -- then I suggest Rennsport. I started there with their "Ground School" and did my first event(s) with a Rennsport instuctor, some at different tracks. I know many of the Rennsport instructors, and would also have to say that they have a very ____ (what's the word I'm looking for here, Bob?) Instructor Training program. If you could participate in something like their Ground School, it's a bonus! I changed my whole perspective on driving right from the get-go. I'm an old gal, but I can still learn new things.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:28 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

For value and volume, I'd pick NNJR. They offer tons of dates at most every track out there, at very competitive prices. They have a good program, and run a good event. I do most of my driving with them.

For instruction, I'd concur with our erstwhile, beaming Welder BayB and say Rennsport Region. The word she was looking for is selective, persnickity, carefully-groomed instructor corp, and they run the safest events in the NE.

Having said that... I've never had a bad time with any of them.

Last edited by RedlineMan; 02-05-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:14 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
For instruction, I'd concur with our erstwhile, beaming Welder BayBand say Rennsport Region. The word she was looking for is selective, persnickity, carefully-groomed instructor corp, and they run the safest events in the NE.
You can't go wrong with a region where the track chair is a former factory Renault team driver and a significant percentage of instructors are current or former pro racers. While I generally like most of the PCA regions I've run with, I was absolutely the most impressed with Rennsport. I also like the driver's meeting in both French and English -- gives me a chance to practice the high school French I learned many, many years ago.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:22 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Track day sponsors are like my kids - I love them all.
Track events? Cups of course, and NER's Blues Festival at LCMT.
And every other one I go to, now that I think further.
Rick, I've never run with NER, but I've had the pleasure of having been instructed by three of your instructors (you, David and Goodloe). I have to say that, universally, you guys have each been extremely meticulous, insightful and actually cared that my driving improved. If all of your instructors are like that, I'd rate NER very highly on my list of regions.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:52 PM
jittsl
Racer

As track chair for Northeast Region (NER) you would have to take my opinion with a grain of salt but... if you are looking in the Northeast how could you go by your local club. This year Northeast, North Country (NCR) and Upper Canada (UCR) have put together a combined calendar that offers 24 days and 7 different tracks (including NHIS, Limerock, Mt Tremblant, the Glen, Calabogie, Mosport and the new Northern New Jersey Motorsport Park). We have also arranged a wide array of more unusual activities including a Novice day on April 30th which will include skid pan and extended classroom as well as instructed track time for the complete newbie through to a special Instructor Coaching Clinic to be run by the guys from the Bertil Roos Race School to be held at NHIS on May 21st.

Generally I think you will find that the administration and attuitude of all three clubs to be fairly relaxed with a focus on good safe fast fun for all involved. I make it my job to ensure maximum track time and minimum BS. For more information on this year's season go to Porschenet.com and have a look at the Driver Education section.

Laurie (Laurence) Jitts

Last edited by jittsl; 02-05-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:06 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Originally Posted by fuenfer
Originally Posted by Bull
Do you have the dates?
According to the JSR website, their events are on September 10-11th and October 3rd-5th. The September date will be on the Thunderbolt course, while the latter date will be on the Lightning course.

Here is the full schedule for NJMP
http://www.MyTrackSchedule.com/ViewT...rsports%20Park
13 out of the 20 events are PCA events.

-Scott

Quick Reply: What is the best PCA region in the Northeast for driving events?