Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Places to Kart in Tampa/Sarasota Area?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Places to Kart in Tampa/Sarasota Area?

Sorry if this is a tad OT here...

While the family is on the beach, I'd like to try some karting. I have no experience in a kart but it looks like loads of fun. Any suggestions on where to go in the Tampa to Sarasota area? Thanks.

Mike
Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Try here

http://www.tampabaygp.com/

I't's much more fun if you can get a group together.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:24 PM
GT3CAR
Needs to Get a Life
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.imaracing.com/

Hit this place in Punta Gorda, FL. It will be worth the drive for you straight down I-75.

This is great karting and they have professional instruction.

LJ
Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Velocissimo87
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sbelles
Try here

http://www.tampabaygp.com/

I't's much more fun if you can get a group together.
I've been to the place on 19, north of Bert Smith I believe it is and was rather disappointed TBH. Great format and style, but the kart is just so-so, nothing too awesome.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:39 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The best indoor track used to be in St. Petersburg. It was owned by Moretti that owns MOMO. It was called Mo-Kart. Since he pulled out of town a few years ago it seems that nobody wants to be in that business in that area. I imagine it's a great market.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Mike S.
Pro

Thanks for the suggestions!

LJ....The place in Punta Gorda looks very hardcore. It's real close to where we'll be staying (Venice) during the later half of our vacation. I will definitely give them a call. I see they run quite a few instuctional programs. If I'm lucky, a beginner/novice program will be available when I'm in Venice.

sbelles...Since we'll be in Tampa for the first half of our vacation, the Tampa Bay GP is worth checking out and doing some laps.

Mike
Old 01-30-2008, 01:13 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Mike,

I would agree with Velocissimo87, the carts are only so-so but it's still better then most roadside kart places where you don't have to lift at all. I've only been there a couple of times but at least the karts are pretty consistently de-tuned so if you have people to race against it's still fun. Drop me a line when you are planning to go, I might be able to get away for a little while.

Scott
Old 01-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is great, I will be down in Ft. Myers in February and I will hit one of these places for sure. Who doesn't love karting!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by sbelles
Mike,

I would agree with Velocissimo87, the carts are only so-so but it's still better then most roadside kart places where you don't have to lift at all. I've only been there a couple of times but at least the karts are pretty consistently de-tuned so if you have people to race against it's still fun. Drop me a line when you are planning to go, I might be able to get away for a little while.

Scott
Thanks Scott and Velocissimo87. As you said Scott, better that the typical "fun center" 15 mph, foot to the floor venues. I'll PM you with details on when I'll be down in sunny, warm Florida.

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
This is great, I will be down in Ft. Myers in February and I will hit one of these places for sure. Who doesn't love karting!?!?!?!?!?!?
Jay...I think karting could be considered a disease and addiction. My friend sold his turbo-look 3.2 after he tried karting and got hooked. Fast forward 3-4 years and he now owns 3 karts and spends many a Saturday morn with his son at the area kart track.

My poor wife doesn't realize that her urging me to "do something fun" on the family vacation might wind up with either a kart showing up in our garage and/or me disappearing on good weather Saturday's to race at the semi-local to us kart track!

Mike

Quick Reply: Places to Kart in Tampa/Sarasota Area?