Sponsored by:

ROLEX 24

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:51 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 582 Posts

Not to change the subject, but I love to see how the NASCAR boys come over to the sports car race and LOVE it. I'm no big NASCAR fan but must admit I've watched a few times since JPM switched over. I remember a few years ago in that Tradin' Paint special Jeff Gordon kept saying how he got the better end of that deal... Kurt Busch and Jimmie Johnson actually sound like normal guys when they interview them in the pits- and they're having a ball doing it. Wonder why Gordon wasn't back this year??? And Tony???
Old 01-29-2008, 08:38 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocissimo87
Exactly, as I said in my previous post, until around 7am Sunday morning, the 66 and 67 TRG Porsches were competing for the win, and in terms of performance, I believe they had every measure of that miserable little car, especially considering all the spins and offs that little car had during the race. BUT, the Porsches just could not keep the radiators clean, which the reason as to why that occurred baffled me. TRG and Porsche are not exactly knew to this game, why didn't they expect or were they able to not cure the problem?

They went from the 66 and 67 being on the lead lap, to 5 laps down because of that overheating. Thats absurd IMO. Porsche, TRG dropped the ball, they lost the race by themselves IMO.
I saw an interview with Kevin Butler (sp?) during the race where he was discussing the overheating problems they and others were having and I thought he made some mention of a new radiator design that PAG was using. Maybe that was the problem. Anyone else catch that interview?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:29 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

I was there and in the TRG pit all night till 7am (before needing a nap). A friend was driving in the 2nd place 66 car - they were forced to run restricted ecu maps and trying to keep rpm's lower to keep the temps down. I had a pit radio so I could listen to all the communication between the drivers and the pit. (it was fun to listen to andy lally giving a breakdown of how he was negotiating every turn on the track in the rain and the adjustments he was making to his driving). The front radiators were getting blockage from debris and unable to keep the cars sufficiently cool. Thats when the 70 car was able to pick up on lap times gain distance over the P cars. As said before before, the mazdas were 2200 lbs and the GT3 min weight was 2700 lbs.Keep in mind from the factory the GT3 cups weigh 2535. Not only that but the 07-08 car are forced to run an air inlet restrictor as supplied by Grand AM. So, I wouldn't be too upset that our beloved p-cars did not take the win at the 24hr. They did manage to seal 2nd 3rd and 4th all while being weight handicapped against 1 ugly loud tube framed purpose built race car that is nothing like its roadgoing counterpart. Its a long season, the rules are designed to level the playing field so everyone can compete. What fun would it be if porsche won every race all season. We did have total domination over the couple F cars out there right?? It will make the rest of the season better having something to fight for.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:44 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DM993tt
I was there and in the TRG pit all night till 7am (before needing a nap). A friend was driving in the 2nd place 66 car - they were forced to run restricted ecu maps and trying to keep rpm's lower to keep the temps down. I had a pit radio so I could listen to all the communication between the drivers and the pit. (it was fun to listen to andy lally giving a breakdown of how he was negotiating every turn on the track in the rain and the adjustments he was making to his driving). The front radiators were getting blockage from debris and unable to keep the cars sufficiently cool. Thats when the 70 car was able to pick up on lap times gain distance over the P cars. As said before before, the mazdas were 2200 lbs and the GT3 min weight was 2700 lbs.Keep in mind from the factory the GT3 cups weigh 2535. Not only that but the 07-08 car are forced to run an air inlet restrictor as supplied by Grand AM. So, I wouldn't be too upset that our beloved p-cars did not take the win at the 24hr. They did manage to seal 2nd 3rd and 4th all while being weight handicapped against 1 ugly loud tube framed purpose built race car that is nothing like its roadgoing counterpart. Its a long season, the rules are designed to level the playing field so everyone can compete. What fun would it be if porsche won every race all season. We did have total domination over the couple F cars out there right?? It will make the rest of the season better having something to fight for.
Still, why did the Porsche overheat and not the Mazda? Surely they were also encountering the same debris?
Old 01-29-2008, 02:37 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Still, why did the Porsche overheat and not the Mazda? Surely they were also encountering the same debris?
Rotary engines have no valves or what we would normally call 'valve trains'; also, since the rotor is geared directly to the output shaft, there is no connecting rod, crankshaft balance weights, etc. - all makes for an engine that creates less heat - and since the rotor is iron and the block aluminum, the block will expand more than the rotor which prevents seizing due to overheating
Old 01-29-2008, 03:46 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Radiator problems in the 911s........Damn it I knew it was a bad idea!

Quick Reply: ROLEX 24