Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best R comp track tire for 2 driver car, most life?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I'm onto my 3rd set of R888's and I think they have just started to bring them into the US by now. They are seen as a superior tyre to the RA1 and I've found they get up to heat quickly but also offer a long life. When they have a bit of tread they're actually not bad in the wet either.
Sounds like a good choice for my needs now.

As time goes on we will change our approach or possibly my wife will drive the C2 and i will drive a different car. For now I am looking for better than street traction without spending thousands on tires in a season.

So far you guys gave me a lot of food for thought. Much appreciated and all in about 20 minutes of post time.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:24 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ted wrote:
I shared a car with my son (different run groups) for 2/3 of last season. Got +50 heat cycles and have some life left. As stated not the fastest at that age but still OK for a slow guy like me. YMMV.
I corded my front Hoosiers last Nov. while running at Roebling Road with Ted. I borrowed his "spent" RA-1s for the three sessions on Sunday that we stayed for (I also had to raise the front end one full turn to get them not to rub because they were 944 offset), and proceeded to take another 4 seconds a lap off. I was still on the steep portion of the learning-the-track curve. My next set will be RA-1 or R888s.

FWIW, I normally get someone else's Hoosiers with 6-8 heat cycles and drive them until they are north of 40 heat cycles total. That is normally when they cord. My car is 2818 with me and 5/8 tank.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I was told to expect 10 heat cycles most from the R6's so driving back to back at 8-10 events that sounds like ouch. I had also heard they have a peak life and the last 1/3rd of them is worthless. Is this true. You seem to be saying differently.
Define useless...people complain because the faster R-comps like the Hoosiers drop off a LOT more over their life than something like a Toyo which is more consistent. That said, I've seen some suggest that a Hoosier at it's slowest is still faster than a Toyo at it's fastest, even though the delta between fastest and slowest for each individual tire is much bigger on the Hoosier.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:30 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the RA-1 seemed to get greasy after a run you may be running too much air in the tires. I have found that over 40psi hot and RA-1's get slick. I start around 32 to see 38-39 psi hot. (2600lbs 944 NA) I have heard that the R888 might heat up more than RA-1 and thus need lower starting pressures.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:33 PM
smankow
Pro

from what I've been hearing from people in my region, the R6 Hoosiers have a very good life cycle. I also think that the older models lasted longer than 8-10 heat cycles - that's 1 weekend.

Steve
Old 01-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by M758
If the RA-1 seemed to get greasy after a run you may be running too much air in the tires. I have found that over 40psi hot and RA-1's get slick.
I had the same experience in Spec Miata on Toyo's.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:37 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Define useless...people complain because the faster R-comps like the Hoosiers drop off a LOT more over their life than something like a Toyo which is more consistent. That said, I've seen some suggest that a Hoosier at it's slowest is still faster than a Toyo at it's fastest, even though the delta between fastest and slowest for each individual tire is much bigger on the Hoosier.
Well thats why I am asking. I have no experience with them and can only go by what others have told me. you guys always have a lot of solid info to learn from.

My biggest concern is my wifes comfort and safety. She has learned a lot in a short time and I want the tire to be consistent over its life. She still has a lot to learn and i don't want to throw too much at her at once. If we go with Hossiers and they loose their grip over the first few events she will most likely find this unnerving. I think until she gets another year under her belt I would prefer to have a tire that gives her consistent feedback so she can focus on the other aspects of fast driving.

Originally Posted by M758
If the RA-1 seemed to get greasy after a run you may be running too much air in the tires. I have found that over 40psi hot and RA-1's get slick. I start around 32 to see 38-39 psi hot. (2600lbs 944 NA) I have heard that the R888 might heat up more than RA-1 and thus need lower starting pressures.
I used the Ra-1's on my S2 and I never ran over 40 psi Hot. On the C2 i found running them at about 36-38 hot worked best. We both have different driving styles and usually run back to back so in the summer heat things can get hotter than you think sometimes.

Hate to say I started this thread late and have to pick up my son. If you guys have any other comments I would appreciate hearing them an will comment back tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:44 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Our lap times stay pretty consistent over the life of the tire. For us we go to a new set ot tires when the car doesn't like to turn.

Not saying the R6s are for you but they are faster than any other R compond out there.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Who told you to expect 10 HC's on a set of R6's??? I got a got solid 16 HC's (4 days with 4 run sessions a day) and then ran them a 5th day (4 more HC's) and could see my times were about 1 second slower (but plenty of life left in the tire). And this is running a GT3 with full suspension upgrades and pushed at 9-10/10th most of time. I also ran the Nitto NT01 and loved them! Got about 50HC's. It is true what they say about the NT01, you can run them until they cord. I was a couple seconds faster at VIR with the R6 over the NT01 but still a great tire. If you are sharing with your wife I would suggest either (a) get two sets of wheels and tires and swap between sessions (PITA!) or (b) go with NT01, RA1, R888 (all the same compound).

Last edited by LVDell; 01-23-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anthony, I too have found that the R6s last far longer than the earlier Hoosiers, and most people who I hear talking about short life spans of Hoosiers have never experienced the R6s. The R6s are a very different tire from the earlier 03s,04s, etc. Anyway, I have seen more than 40 heat cycles from a set of R6s . They do drop off after the early cycles, but begin at a much better level than the other R compounds I have tried. I see about the same life out of them as i did from the MPSCs when I ran them.

I have never shared my car with another driver, so can't report on that type of usage.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:32 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Bull;5019333]Anthony, I too have found that the R6s last far longer than the earlier Hoosiers, and most people who I hear talking about short life spans of Hoosiers have never experienced the R6s. The R6s are a very different tire from the earlier 03s,04s, etc. Anyway, I have seen more than 40 heat cycles from a set of R6s . They do drop off after the early cycles, but begin at a much better level than the other R compounds I have tried. I see about the same life out of them as i did from the MPSCs when I ran them.

+1
Old 01-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

In a 2600 LB SC I got 20 track days out of a set of R4's before they came apart.. that's about 80 heat cycles. I ran them until one delaminated, only then did I notice a loss in grip.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:17 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with nearly 400hp, you might want a 275-295 width rear, rather than a 265 as you mentioned earlier, to help put the power down. 225-245 front. RA1/R888 seem to have the best "life" for an R comp, but that is a relative term. What do you think would be a "good" number of days/events? 8 days? 12 days? 4 events? Getting great life all comes down to suspension set up and driving style. Even with my modest SC, overdriven naturally so I could win the DE Championships , I could just barely squeak out a 6 (2-day) event summer, with some AX mixed in, as a 1 driver car with RA-1s.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:21 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keeping in mind your wife driving the car ( my wife drives also). Nitto or RA-1. Unless you plan to teach your wife how to really warm up a set of MPSCs, then forgetaboutit. She is not going to push enough to get grip on MPSCs and be frustrated (ask me how I know). The other problem is pressures. Your driving styles may be very different so optimum for you is going to as much as 3-4psi more than what she gets during a run session. One last tire I have seen two driver cars use is the Hankooks. I have no opinion on them, but they seem to be happy with the results.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Apex Rex
Racer

On a 996, co-driven for some events by my dad and myself, he got over 50 HC's last season from a set of R6s and still no cords. If the car was co-driven by someone more capable than I, there might be more wear. Oh yeah, and they survived the Pocono infield landing strip too...

Quick Reply: Best R comp track tire for 2 driver car, most life?