Sponsored by:

Ideas for background music in a track video

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008 | 12:40 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
WRT video shot from behind you, it is really helpful. At least as good as watching the view out your front window. I've had it suggested that a video shot looking backwards is pretty good too. May try that next month. ervtx, look forward to visiting with you at TWS in Feb. I'm still enjoying the vid you gave me of you following me.
My pleasure... hope to get some more in Feb! Camera facing backwards sounds like a good idea... I'll try to hang with you again as you slice thru the traffic, and that way you can return the favor with video of the front of my car! Last time at TWS I also had a friend shoot some video from the fence at the carousel, and that is also very a completely different point of view (we look faster coming down the hill at the braking point than it feels from inside the car). We need to recruit from other run groups for that, however!

Somewhere in all of this post-DE video exchange for instructional purposes, there's a business opportunity waiting to happen. But I digress from the topic of this thread... I've realized that I need to update my music library!
Old 01-22-2008 | 12:48 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A
Ok, I'll add my take on EC with my type of music..... The name of the band is Airbourne. It reminds me of the 80's music I grew up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tN850T3XLo

G.
Good balance of music volume vs. original video sound; I think that's a bigger factor than music choice as to whether or not I can watch them end-to-end.
Old 01-22-2008 | 10:46 AM
Musche
Racer

Thanks for some of the great ideas. I too, prefer the sound of the motor and the video I want to make is for entertainment, not analysis. The music will be mixed in the background behind the motor sounds. I have a Sony stereo mic attached to the camera out of the wind so the motor sounds are pretty good and I don't want to cover that up. Just monkeying around with some new toys!
Old 01-22-2008 | 11:18 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Then there's my all time favorite, my first club race. Two black cars from the DFW area driven by guys with too much attitude.... I figured Pantera fit the bill....

http://p993.net/george/Cowboys_from_Hell.wmv

G.
Old 01-22-2008 | 11:45 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Another one bites the dust"
Old 01-22-2008 | 11:54 AM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by ervtx
Last time at TWS I also had a friend shoot some video from the fence at the carousel, and that is also very a completely different point of view (we look faster coming down the hill at the braking point than it feels from inside the car). We need to recruit from other run groups for that, however!
If you guys are in a different run group than me, I'd be happy to shoot some video at the fence for you. Let me know. I'm in Blue.
Then there's my all time favorite, my first club race. Two black cars from the DFW area driven by guys with too much attitude.... I figured Pantera fit the bill....

G.
That one is always one of my favorites with the salute at the end! That video also represents a good mix of audio levels between music and motor.
Old 01-22-2008 | 01:17 PM
deep_uv
RIP

G.
Hilarious at the end, George. It's weird not seeing the houses at Big Bend. Really nice save in Rattlesnake!

Here's an old skool tune that's a great driving song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QtJWsqt268
Old 01-22-2008 | 02:04 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Yup, that's an old video. It's really amazing how much MSR has grown. BTW, you should see the video from the enduro at that event. I went at it with the same guy for the entire race and there were a bunch of those directed his way. Oh yeah, he was replying accordingly.... The best part was that we were sharing a garage at the time. It was all in good fun.....

I've always wanted to incorporate Low Rider by War in one of my videos but haven't found the right clip.

G.
Old 01-22-2008 | 03:50 PM
Mike Frye
Craic Head
Lifetime Rennlist

Guns and Roses: Rocket Queen.

That song just flat out rocks. I tried using it in a video but I only had about 3 minutes of video and the song is over six minutes long. Done right, it would be perfect.
Old 01-22-2008 | 11:22 PM
Weston
Racer

I use music for our highlights videos, or when there's some sort of audio problem. I find that something with a good beat / tempo tends to work the best, especially if you have slow parts or still pictures mixed into your video, but you still have to find the right song to match the video content. I try to keep a good balance between race car audio and music volume, so that you can still hear what's going on, but the music is still loud enough to help keep things moving during the slow parts and still pictures. I'll also rearrange the order of the video clips, or the timing of the music, so that they flow together better. If part of the song sounds dumb or just doesn't work, you can sometimes put one of your more intense video clips there, preferably with a tad more volume, so that nobody's paying attention to the music at that part.

Here's the short version of the NASA Rocky Mountain 944-Spec 2007 season highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQGvcpLiE2o

The song is "Ruby" by the Kaiser Chiefs. That one was fairly easy to put together. The full version will premier this Saturday night at our banquet, and because it's more than twice as long, and includes a bunch of pictures, I had to spend more time on the music selection and rearranging things to work. As of right now, I'm using three songs for it:

Rob Zombie - Never Gonna Stop
Apollo 440 - Stop the Rock
Ram Jam - Black Betty

A few other song ideas:
Van Halen - Panama
Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
Moby - Extreme Ways
Grand Theft Audio - As Good As It Gets
Europe - The Final Countdown (ok, maybe just if you race 80's Porsches and like cheesy music )
Boston - Don't Look Back
Dope - You Spin Me Right Round
AC DC - Thunderstruck
Jimmy Eat World - Pain
Old 01-23-2008 | 12:38 PM
TR6
Drifting

Alright, I've succumbed to peer pressure and taken a stab at making a music/track video. You Social Distortion fans should like it. Especially if you like early Social D...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fp2jKFgYiZ0

Originally Posted by Weston
A few other song ideas:
Van Halen - Panama...
Absolutely one of the best track video songs I can think of! And one of my favorite Van Halen songs. I've seen several videos use it.
Old 01-23-2008 | 11:58 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
Alright, I've succumbed to peer pressure and taken a stab at making a music/track video. You Social Distortion fans should like it. Especially if you like early Social D...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fp2jKFgYiZ0
Greg,

That's a really good first effort. I'd suggest though that you consider something that more closely matches your droving style and rhythm. I consulted with my film maker daughter, & we offer this as an alternative musical selection. Make sure you watch it to the end for an example of the use of music for dramatic effect.

http://www.vimeo.com/631863

Old 01-24-2008 | 12:06 AM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by mglobe
Greg,

That's a really good first effort. I'd suggest though that you consider something that more closely matches your droving style and rhythm. I consulted with my film maker daughter, & we offer this as an alternative musical selection. Make sure you watch it to the end for an example of the use of music for dramatic effect.

http://www.vimeo.com/631863

Nicely done! I was kind of expecting 'Wipeout' by the Safaris.

Although it felt so much faster with Social Distortion playing...
Old 01-24-2008 | 12:10 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Kind of amazing what a difference the musical choice makes, isn't it? Just be glad I didn't actually use the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy like I started to do.

I really liked the social distortion version
Old 01-24-2008 | 12:11 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
Nicely done! I was kind of expecting 'Wipeout' by the Safaris.
That would have been much too fast.

Quick Reply: Ideas for background music in a track video