Sponsored by:

Velcro Battery Mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:11 AM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Velcro Battery Mount

I am planning to use a lightweight battery (Deka ETX14) for DE/track events and was wondering if it is legal/acceptable to use Velcro to secure the battery in the battery compartment.

SCCA Solo Rules state: "All batteries (on-board power supplies) shall be attached securely to the frame or chassis structure independent of the marine-type container. NOTE: This will allow the use of gel cell or dry cell (AGM) batteries without a non-conductive marine-type container where applicable."

I searched the PCA Club Racing rule book, but it doesn't make any specific recommendation with regard to battery mounting , other than the need for a cut-off switch.

It seems to me that as long as I can demonstrate that the battery is securely fastened (i.e. can't move or shift within the compartment), then it shouldnt matter how I mounted it.

Does anyone have any experience in this regard, or have any specific knowledge of rules that would prohibit it?
Old 01-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I don't think velcro is going to even come close to cutting the mustard here. Tech is going to want a metal attachment that is securely fastened.

Sure, the velcro might not move when you try to shift it by hand, but imagine how much it will move after a 60mph hit. It could easily become a projectile that launches into the windshield, causing you to have a bad day on many levels.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:57 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

There's no way velcro would hold anything bigger than a watch battery in a crash. To me, "securely mounted" means you couldn't pull it out of the car no matter how hard you tried. A 16lb battery at 20g is 320lbs. Can the mount hold 320lbs?
Old 01-20-2008, 12:38 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Your points are well taken - I guess I wan't thinking about crashing my car!

Suppose I'll have to come up with another solution after all.

Thanks,

Last edited by KS-CS; 01-20-2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: thanks
Old 01-20-2008, 02:45 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sjanes
There's no way velcro would hold anything bigger than a watch battery in a crash. To me, "securely mounted" means you couldn't pull it out of the car no matter how hard you tried. A 16lb battery at 20g is 320lbs. Can the mount hold 320lbs?
Actually there is a velcro that is plastic hooks on both sides and is incredibly strong. That said, I would not use it for a battery (both due to the environment that might degrade the adhesive and the weight of even the small batteries.

Even with good bonding, you have to ask if it is going to hold at 40-60 g's and what happens when that item comes loose.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:07 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KS-CS
Your points are well taken - I guess I wan't thinking about crashing my car!
Although people don't like to think about crashing, it does need to be considered whenever you install something in your car. I've seen some Fire Extinguishers installed that would make a nice hole in the windshield (assuming it doesn't hit something else first) in even a moderate crash.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:02 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

I guess it depends on the velcro you're considering... there is some VERY strong industrial velcro that has been tested on aircraft to hold wings/etc together that would do the job (velcro re-adheres itself under vibrations while rivets/etc tend to come loose, etc), but good luck getting some, and then convincing the techs that it's good enough.

If you're considering "normal" velcro, not a chance.

$0.02 (CDN)
Old 01-20-2008, 07:02 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Velcro is nice, but they do not use it on parachutes yet!!!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:51 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Originally Posted by jgrant
I guess it depends on the velcro you're considering... there is some VERY strong industrial velcro that has been tested on aircraft to hold wings/etc together

But will it hold them on when the plane crashes?
Old 01-20-2008, 11:37 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At that point it is moot.

Quick Reply: Velcro Battery Mount