Sponsored by:

Calabogie Motorsports Park Video

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008 | 10:06 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Calabogie Motorsports Park Video

I typically don't post driving videos (unless I wanted to do a HWFMR application), but it's the middle of freakin winter here and I'm bored, so I figured I post my last two laps from 07 to both remind the guys in the North-East of the great new track we have here up north and to get some tips for 08. So fire away. Beyond the few obvious mistakes, what can/should I be doing differently/better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNHGW5Wm7mI
Old 01-19-2008 | 11:03 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Very nice.....

It looks like you had the track all by yourself......

I hope to get up there with Rennsport this year and enjoy that beautiful track again....
Old 01-19-2008 | 11:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Holy crap, did they pave that just before you went out? Last time I saw pavement that smooth was when I came for the ribbon cutting of a new Wal-Mart I supplied the concrete to!
Old 01-19-2008 | 11:10 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Are you pushing the accelerator pedal all the way down?
Old 01-19-2008 | 11:17 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I assumed it was a "Track Tour" video...
Old 01-19-2008 | 11:20 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

<SNAP!>
Old 01-19-2008 | 11:30 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Looks good to me! Nice track too.
Old 01-19-2008 | 11:35 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

1) You need to brake much harder and learn to trail brake. You can see from the G graph that your lateral Gs normally are higher than your decel Gs...that just ain't right

2) You need to shift faster...this ain't a grocery run!

3) What is the redline on that thing? It sure seems that you are way down in the power band, to the point where you could be one gear lower in a lot of places.

4) I've never driven that track, but looks like you are taking a DE line. Forget the cones...the apex of a turn is usually closer to the beginning of the curbing (rule of thumb).
Old 01-20-2008 | 01:11 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
1) You need to brake much harder and learn to trail brake. You can see from the G graph that your lateral Gs normally are higher than your decel Gs...that just ain't right
I typically brake earlier and "softer" to concentrate on corner entry. I've never been a hard braker. Trail braking is the main thing that I've been concentrating on this year with limited success.

Originally Posted by 38D
2) You need to shift faster...this ain't a grocery run!
I call it "mechanical sympathy".

Originally Posted by 38D
3) What is the redline on that thing? It sure seems that you are way down in the power band, to the point where you could be one gear lower in a lot of places.
I typically shift at 6K. There are two places where I could probably use second gear, but the time it takes to shift negates the benefit of extra boost of using second (according to the data).

Originally Posted by 38D
4) I've never driven that track, but looks like you are taking a DE line. Forget the cones...the apex of a turn is usually closer to the beginning of the curbing (rule of thumb).
I don't look at cones or any other reference point, but I do agree that I'm taking a late apex in most places. To apex earlier, I would need more rotation from apex to track out than I currently have. My goal this season was to develop my trail braking skills more to carry the rotation through the corner, but the car seems to understeer on exit (either the car or me, but one of us understeers).
Old 01-20-2008 | 01:11 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Holy crap, did they pave that just before you went out? Last time I saw pavement that smooth was when I came for the ribbon cutting of a new Wal-Mart I supplied the concrete to!
I was following the paving crew. They are a second faster than I am.
Old 01-20-2008 | 09:56 AM
phils87951
Instructor

Hi Stacy, Nice. I like you am suffering from withdrawl.
Im looking at mine siting in the garage, with a fresh motor, almost ready to start, yet its -20 this morning, and summer feels so far away. Last time I went to Calab. I got bit by the 50¢ peice. I cant wait to go back. I finished the season with a definate lack of satisfaction.........

Cheers mon ami

p.s., Cant wait to feel this rush again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5JLAi34uJw

Last edited by phils87951; 01-20-2008 at 01:10 PM. Reason: shameless video clip insert
Old 01-20-2008 | 10:13 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sjanes
I typically brake earlier and "softer" to concentrate on corner entry. I've never been a hard braker. Trail braking is the main thing that I've been concentrating on this year with limited success.
I didn't say to brake any later, but to brake harder. Look at the data...it does not lie. You are leaving many seconds on the table.

I call it "mechanical sympathy".
You can be nice to the equiptment and still shift faster. You take ~1-1.5 seconds per upshift, yet do downshifts way faster.

I don't look at cones or any other reference point, but I do agree that I'm taking a late apex in most places. To apex earlier, I would need more rotation from apex to track out than I currently have. My goal this season was to develop my trail braking skills more to carry the rotation through the corner, but the car seems to understeer on exit (either the car or me, but one of us understeers).
Late apex + late on the gas = slow. In general, you are way late getting back on the gas -- look at 1:48...you are on the gas until you are basically straight!

None of the driving is bad...it's very safe...but slow. I'd suggest taking rides with the fastest people in your region (who will not necessarily be the ones wit the fastest cars.). Learning to break the late apex, late on the gas, not trailing braking habits will take time..but you'll be much faster in the end.
Old 01-20-2008 | 10:49 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

If your setup is understeering, trailbraking will help get you some rotation in the slow corners. You want rotation prior to the apex, not after. After the apex you're trying to unwind the steering wheel as much as possible and still make the corner. Steering input post apex = scrubbing speed. Don't forget that you can always do a quick lift to get the fronts working prior to the apex. If you're still having trouble, you need to revisit your suspension setup. I actually like a little understeer because the car feels better on the high speed sweepers but I can use trailbraking or breathing off the throttle to get some rotation on the slow corners.
Old 01-20-2008 | 11:26 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
I didn't say to brake any later, but to brake harder. Look at the data...it does not lie. You are leaving many seconds on the table.
Wouldn't braking harder necessitate braking later (or overbraking)? My braking is probably the thing I've on concentrated the least on so I am interested on how to improve it.

Originally Posted by 38D
You can be nice to the equiptment and still shift faster. You take ~1-1.5 seconds per upshift, yet do downshifts way faster.
I've never noticed that.

Originally Posted by 38D
Late apex + late on the gas = slow. In general, you are way late getting back on the gas -- look at 1:48...you are on the gas until you are basically straight!
Actually, I'm on the gas just after the apex, but I'm only at 3Krpm (3rd gear) so it looks and sounds like I'm coasting . This is the corner that I've had the hardest time with since it leads to a steep uphill. I've tried 2nd gear, but run out of revs by trackout, so I've been using 3rd, which has me accelerating up a hill from 3K. I've tried turning in earlier, just to understeer to trackout and not get a good run up the hill, so I started turning in later so the wheel is straighter out of the corner (you can hear my motor "free up" as I unwind). So far, this has given me the best results, but I know there is more time there which is why I'm looking for input.

Originally Posted by 38D
None of the driving is bad...it's very safe...but slow. I'd suggest taking rides with the fastest people in your region (who will not necessarily be the ones wit the fastest cars.). Learning to break the late apex, late on the gas, not trailing braking habits will take time..but you'll be much faster in the end.
agreed, it's just hard to find time when everyone has students. I think what I need most is to ride with someone that is really good at trail braking. I seem to either not trail brake enough, or go into the corner sideways.

One thing that I've noticed when riding in other instructors cars that are similar (i.e. 964's etc) is that when they are accelerating out of the corner, the rear slips just enough to give the car some rotation. I cannot seem to do this with mine (I understeer on throttle at corner exit). I don't know if it's a driving style thing, a HP thing (I have 185 lb/ft & 200hp at the wheels) or a setup thing (i.e. I don't have a LSD).

thanks for the input.

Last edited by sjanes; 01-20-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-20-2008 | 11:47 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
If your setup is understeering, trailbraking will help get you some rotation in the slow corners. You want rotation prior to the apex, not after. After the apex you're trying to unwind the steering wheel as much as possible and still make the corner. Steering input post apex = scrubbing speed. Don't forget that you can always do a quick lift to get the fronts working prior to the apex. If you're still having trouble, you need to revisit your suspension setup. I actually like a little understeer because the car feels better on the high speed sweepers but I can use trailbraking or breathing off the throttle to get some rotation on the slow corners.

I realize that trailbraking will get me into the corner better (and that's what I've been working on), but I do feel that some rotation on corner exit will help me unwind the wheel quicker and thus let the car accelerate better. I absolutely agree with "Steering input post apex = scrubbing speed". I can hear it, feel it and see it in the data, and that's why I moved back to a later apex so I can remove some of the understeer. I can (and often do) use a small lift to get the nose into the apex, but that is more of a band-aid solution than a driving style. WRT my setup, I've been making small changes all year to see what works and what doesn't. The day this video was done, the car had slightly more understeer than normal since I was trying to force myself to trailbrake more.

Quick Reply: Calabogie Motorsports Park Video