Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Was the GT-R quicker?
Yes, it was quicker - the GT-R is a quicker car
22.68%
Yes, it was quicker - even though the Porsche driver did mistakes
11.34%
No, it wasn't quicker - the Porsche driver did many mistakes on purpose to make the GT-R pass
14.43%
This whole race was a joke - it was obvious the Porsche was treated really bad to make it look slow
51.55%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Nissan vs. Porsche on track. Find the flaws?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rassel
Interesting, it seems the GT-R has some serious turning capability in the video. It's running stock 255 in front and 285 in the rear while the Porsche has 235 in front and 305 in the rear. Somehow the 997TT tires seems to scream a lot - while the GT-R is all quiet.

The Porsche is 3494.3 lbs and the Nissan GT-R is 3836 lbs. Though the GT-R in the video seems to feat. Recaro seats and not the standard seats....?
http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/mo...t_nurburgring/

Ooopssssss....
Old 09-30-2008, 01:42 PM
wlittleman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally saw one of these GT-R's at Thunderhill. It's a huge car, not pretty, but not quite ugly either. The owner said it was his first time there with that particular car, and it was completely stock. It had Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tires, and I managed to find a YouTube video of him doing 2:05.xx on 8/19/08 (Thunderhill w/Hooked on Driving). I don't know what kind of experience he has, but you guys can be the judge of it when you view his video. You can find it by doing a real simple search on YouTube (keywords: GT-R, Thunderhill, Hooked on Driving)

On another note, I noticed the the article said the Turbo and GT2 were both shod with "Michelin Sport Cup", the "regular Porsche road tyres". Is that a typo, or do the euro cars actually come with R-comps? I don't know anything about Bridgestone Potenza RE070, but I speculate that Nissan did use an R-compound to achieve the Nurburgring times, especially in light of the times the Turbo and GT2 are turning.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Nano
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newer generation GTRs have always been heavy. R34 was around 3600lbs I think, and still was widely acclaimed as a phenomenal sport car. For a GT, new GTR has pretty spectacular peformance, for sure on par with the turbo and the other current great GTs. How many seconds slower/faster on a track than the turbo... does that really matter? Track junkies will look somewhere else as neither car are appropriate. In the end, it's a matter of ego and what brand you are a fanboy of. Hardcore porsche people will believe the turbo is better no matter what.... hardcore nissan people the opposite.

BestMotoring? Lol... where is the NSX to beat everyone this time?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:06 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wlittleman
I finally saw one of these GT-R's at Thunderhill. It's a huge car, not pretty, but not quite ugly either. The owner said it was his first time there with that particular car, and it was completely stock. It had Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tires, and I managed to find a YouTube video of him doing 2:05.xx on 8/19/08 (Thunderhill w/Hooked on Driving). I don't know what kind of experience he has, but you guys can be the judge of it when you view his video. You can find it by doing a real simple search on YouTube (keywords: GT-R, Thunderhill, Hooked on Driving)
So that time would make it slightly faster than a 2002+ 996 with similar tires?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:17 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnusB
So that time would make it slightly faster than a 2002+ 996 with similar tires?

The worst part is the driver. He drove the 997 TT he owns at the same track with MPSC, he said the power intimidated him, so he went and made the car 700 hp and put damptronics on it with springs rates like your mattress. So being already scared of the car he was going 140 on the straight in the modded TT which is what the stock TT could do and obviously he wasnt cornering any faster. Likely slower since he couldnt put any power down on exit.

But he ran 2:03-2:04 in that.

Quick Reply: Nissan vs. Porsche on track. Find the flaws?