Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Class Question for 38D & the 993 racers on Rennlist

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:00 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have thought of this as well. My car right now is just under 2800 pounds empty with me out of it. I will have to add 170 plus pounds to run stock class. I probably will add the weight but make it easy to get out if I hate it. I mostly want to run G as that is where my friends will run.

Might be fun to pull another 100 to 150 pounds out of it and run GT. Tires, brakes etc... would last longer and I would win about the same in the end.... DFL club anyone
Old 01-13-2008, 09:47 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Possibly a bit off-topic, but why do so many PCA "stock" classed cars seem to all need to add ballast? Is there a reason the club doesn't adjust their weights? Seems odd, and possibly unsafe to have to add so much weight back in. As an extreme example, my car runs POC legal at 3100lbs, but to run PCA legally in even the prepared class, I need to add 400 pounds. That scares me to think of how I'd add that much back into my car! (so GT class it is!)
Good question. Stock seats weigh alot on the newer cars (last 10yrs or so)delete stock exhaust CAT, wheels, etc, and you drop 200 lbs. The published weights seem high, but could include and optioned car with heavy fuel load.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Possibly a bit off-topic, but why do so many PCA "stock" classed cars seem to all need to add ballast? Is there a reason the club doesn't adjust their weights? Seems odd, and possibly unsafe to have to add so much weight back in. As an extreme example, my car runs POC legal at 3100lbs, but to run PCA legally in even the prepared class, I need to add 400 pounds. That scares me to think of how I'd add that much back into my car! (so GT class it is!)
Great question. See, it's so PCA members can "try out" club racing in their bone stock(!) car at the stock weight with the, er, soon-to-be mandatory full roll cage requirement! The club wants owners to not have to worry about ripping their cars apart to make a lower weight. Buuuuut, they have to run a roll cage. Unfortunately, it's an indication of some of the contradictions and idiosyncrasies of the club racing program, which are a natural part of the growth of the program as the concept of racing evolves

From what I've been told and as it is outlined in Paragraph 12 of the Guiding Principles of PCA Club Racing, part of the premise of club racing is to allow members to drive their street cars to the track, race and then drive back home. With the new roll cage requirement, that presumption of streetability is becoming much harder to justify. I believe the stock weight requirement was mandated with this stipulation in mind. However, I'm not sure where the club is headed with these new rules. I've also been told that the club racing program was never formed to keep costs down, so, if this is true, why not allow racers to take a reasonable amount of weight out, which we are already doing by simply replacing seats and wheels with lighter items? How much more of a hassle is it to remove foam insulation material in a car that is now required to have a welded or bolt-in roll cage?

The argument that the white group or higher driver who wants to try out club racing in his "stock" car with a full roll cage is a poor one. Even without a roll cage, most white group drivers have cars that are lighter than stock and are running, gasp, camber plates beyond the stock settings, less to improve grip and more to stop roaching the outer edges of their tires. But I digress.

It will be interesting to see where the club goes in the next few years. PCA seems much more open to listening to its members' wants and needs, and for that I am thankful. As the club racing rules and program ripen to accommodate the reality of the "real" race cars (as opposed to DE cars with roll bars), maybe we'll see a reasonable, rational shift in allowing de riguer modifications to cars that already exist and always will exist in the drivers education ranks.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:44 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is not the first time publish weight seems off on certain year for Porsche. Doing a little research, I am finding the "DIN" curb weight to often include a 75kg driver on board! So, including a full tank of gas and driver, you can see where 300 lbs of ballast could be needed. I am going to get better documentation from Porsche which should start to explain the inconsistency of car weights.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is why I have thought about just putting the car in GT class and not worring about it. I always just raced the guy in front of me no matter what letters he has plastered on thier car. I also know of many stock cars that...gasp, did not follow the rules to the T So we are not all on a level playing field anyway so why all the pretending...

At least in GT I will feel good about loosing because I did not spend as much as the next guy, at least he is up front about it...
Old 01-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Colin, do they still make You put ballast in the cabin( read unsafe/not smart) or can You now put it under the car or in the boot(read safe/smart)?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Glen, it has to remain in the passenger compartment.

Got your check, BTW. Hope the lights help you win.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Glen, it has to remain in the passenger compartment.

Got your check, BTW. Hope the lights help you win.
Thx Mark! Well with the above in mind, I would suggest that You mount the heaviest seat ever made in the passenger area and then mount a 6 point harness on the passenger side with sheet steel reinforcement under the car to prevent the harness mounting bolts from pulling through. Ideally the sheet steel would be large enough and thick enough to idealize the weight distribution of the car while enhancing safety.... considering driver location,(left center), battery location(LF), always run with the spare, jack and toolkit(all mounted securely of course). For additional reference, it was found that adding weight in the front bumper was not near as"safe" nor did it help with handling, it in fact hurt turn in and caused the car to exaggerate its yaw/roll... whereas if the spare tire area was ballasted or under passenger area was ballasted the car acted much better. In fact the C4 torque tube/axles and diff assembly are very effective ballast in the right places...just run the c2 spindles ....just a few thoughts....the other thing that works well is to melt lead and pour it into the channels in the passenger floorboard using them as the mold. then of course throughbolting the resulting leadmolds with a sheetsteel top and bottom to form a safety sandwich around the ballast. lead is of course very malleable and can easily pull through normal throughbolting methods in the event of a serious impact/rollover. It then forms some really kool flying objects inside the cab....
Old 01-13-2008, 02:08 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

CarreraCup-

It was my understanding from Colin's post that ALL the 'factory' RS changes had to be made to the car to run in "I" class. Since Lexan wasn't a factory item, I just assumed I'd have to put the light RS glass in the car.

Am I wrong? Of course, I'd much rather leave the Lexan in.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:51 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

According to the PCA Club Racing rules I have in front of me stock classes A - K rule #6/C "Lexan windshield of appropriate thickness and quality of construction are allowed" .
Remember even though lexan is lighter ... it is also considered a safety mod. I have lexan on my H class prepaired car.
I think you are good with lexan ... as a "factory RS" would be able to install lexan as well. Thats the way I read it anyway.
AA
Old 01-13-2008, 03:12 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Understood...I'm going to have to dig into the rule book for I class. Do you recall seeing anything about the rear and quarter glass, of which I have in Lexan as well?

Thanks again to all who responded...this place is a wealth of knowledge.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:30 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Colin, do they still make You put ballast in the cabin( read unsafe/not smart) or can You now put it under the car or in the boot(read safe/smart)?
It has to be in the passenger compartment. You can leave the spare in...that's worth 35lbs easy

Originally Posted by AC993C2S
Understood...I'm going to have to dig into the rule book for I class. Do you recall seeing anything about the rear and quarter glass, of which I have in Lexan as well?

Thanks again to all who responded...this place is a wealth of knowledge.
You can run a lexan windshield, but not lexan quarter windows.

When I said all the change for the RS, that mean all the changes that are not overridden by the stock rules ie you do not have the run the RS swaybars as those are free anyway in stock.

Quick Reply: Class Question for 38D & the 993 racers on Rennlist