Sponsored by:

Lisa Thomas RIP

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Bruce P
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lisa Thomas RIP

I'm a long term lurker, seldom poster here on Rennlist. And I suppose I'm not unlike a lot of people here who visit for the comfort level.

As I write this I am waiting to attend the memorial service for my partner in life Lisa Thomas. Lisa and I both have been PCA and SCCA racers for numerous years and I know we have crossed paths with a lot of you over the years, Most people thought Lisa and I were married but we didn't do that as we were true racing soul mates. Yesterday Lisa lost her third battle with cancer. She passed away peacefully at home which we have decorated in a total car theme. In our game room is a painting of Lisa and I in our cars going through "The Corkscrew". (sorry if this is kinda rambling)

I have a short story to tell which sums up what Lisa was all about not only in her career but her personal and family life as well. The one word to describe her was INSPIRATION.

A few years ago I bought a Cup Car from Farnbacher. Lisa and I attended the Supercup race in Indy and made the deal to purchase the car there. Lisa was a striking tall blond and she immediately fell into favor with all the team including Horst Farnbacher. She continued to keep in contact with the team principles and a few years later she learned that Farnbacher wanted to come race in the US. Without my knowledge she "cut a deal" to help the Farnbacher team run their first race at Daytona in 2005. The deal Lisa made was to run two cars-- a "pro car" and a second non pro car in which I would be a driver. She sprung this surprise on me for fathers day 2004. In return she did all the logistics for the race and I provided my shop and rig to prep the cars and transport and support to Daytona. As some of you may remember the Farnbacher pro car won the race that year (Henzler, Farnbacher, Ehret and Price as drivers). We finished a respectable 15th in the non pro car. This was the start of the Farnbacher-Loles organization today. As most of you racers know, preperation in racing is everything and I believe that Lisa's efforts to bring a foreign team here and handle ALL the logistics/paperwork etc. was the single biggest reason Farnbacher was successful on their first attempt. But wait theres more.

Lisa was a very elegant writer and she chronicled our Daytona experience in what she called the "Daytona Diaries". Simply, it was about a man having a dream, reaching for it and "going for it" all facilitated by a loving partner. These Diaries made the rounds on the internet and one day I heard from a distant relative who was also a car nut. He had read the Diaries and made the decision to finally follow his dream and run for public office. Today he sits as the Treasurer of the State of Indiana. And on his desk are crossed checker flags reminding him where his inspiration came from.

Ther is so much more I could tell you about Lisa but I think all you racers get the picture.

I feel empty right now but just posting this helps.

Funny how a community of folks that you have never met can become such a comfort.

Rest in peace my love, best friend and soul mate

Bruce Phillips
Old 01-11-2008, 02:07 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Very beautiful tribute, Bruce. It is clear that you shared something special. Thanks for sharing and best to you.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:10 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bruce,

I don't know if we have ever shared a track or met, but your post is very touching, none the less. She sounds like a wonderful person and the world will be worse for her loss. My condolences to you and the rest of any family involved.

Thank you for the post, and letting us share the stories of a small bit of her life.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:10 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

My sympathies. It sounds like she was a wonderful, thoughtful person.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:26 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bruce,
I know you don't know me, but we attended a few PCA races together. Phoenix and Las Vegas. I remember seeing Lisa a couple times (hard to forget a tall Blonde in race suit) and believe one event was very close to your birthday as the other racer had posted birth notices around the track. Anyway these very limited encounters give this situation a personal face for me and am truly sorry for your loss.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

B,
I am so sorry....I knew You were facing this and wish I could help. My thoughts and prayers are with You. I remember her well, especially that day at TMS. Your special Angel.

Love You Bro,

Glen Gatlin
Old 01-11-2008, 02:28 PM
jester911
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sorry for your loss. Great story about Lisa and her life. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:05 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Bruce, that was a beautifully written sentiment. It sounds like you had a very special time together. My condolences to you on your loss, and my congratulations to you for such a successful relationship.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:53 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

IN a world where there are so many Takers , it is extremely Devastating to lose a giver, My deepest condolences....
Old 01-11-2008, 04:00 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deepest sympathies and condolences. Sorry for your loss.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:15 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm truly sorry for your loss. Sounds like a wonderful woman and partner.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Absolutely no need to pologize for "rambling", what an inspirational story. I'm so sorry for your loss, what a beautiful person you had a luck to share time with.

May Lisa Rest In Peace.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:26 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

A beautifully written tribute to an obviously very special person. My condolences and may you find peace.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:03 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine your pain for the loss of someone that was so well loved. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:22 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Bruce,

We don't know how to even say this other than your story is beautifully written and incredibly touching and moving. Margo and I enjoy this car thing together along with our photography, so we have some understanding of how wonderful your relationship was. Our hearts go out to you in this difficult time.

Arnie and Margo

Quick Reply: Lisa Thomas RIP