Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8-point harnesses?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008 | 06:03 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

I would bet that this system was design first on an average sized guy with a medium HANS. If you use this system with a small HANS and have the requisite small size chest 34-36 their is a problem of the position of the cam puts the belt poistion at the stomach/bellybutton to be wider than or just barely on the HANS tails. This problem encourages the HANS belt to slip off the HANS starting at the tails. There is about 1/2" more closure of this area that could be gained by repostioning/sewing the HANS belt at a different position relative to the body belt. I did talk to the vendor about this and I am not sure he really got what I was tyring to tell him and basically dissmissed that as an issue. I do notice that if the HANS belts are firmly on the tails the belts do not slip. I have the system pretty good now with only occasional slippage. Would it pop off in a crash? I do not know. When I asked HANS about this problem they said the key to HANS function would not be effected as long as the belts did not come off the HANS collar and they readily dissmissed belt slip off the tails as being an issue. Once problem with these belts is that is it really difficult to adjust them so that the total force needed for tight belts is 50%body belt and 50% HANS. It is really easy to upset the percentage and get a body belt too tight and have the HAN wings pop out of the HANS belts or the HANS belt too tight and have a loose body belt. Comfort of this system is amazing however since the HANS belt for the HANS makes the harness feel like you are only wearing a 3" body belt and don't get that HANS digging into the collar bone feel of the typical captured HANS in the typical shoulder harness. Perhaps even broken collar bones might be reduced by such a cushioned system, I don't know. The point I raise here may be moot with a medium HANS because the tails and user are wider. I have no data point except my own on this one. There have been pictures of the HANS tails popping out from under belts during impact posted on this forum. Perhaps if HANS is correct that the collar is where the action is and in those pictures we have all seen the dummy did not die then my concerns are unfounded.

Quick Reply: 8-point harnesses?