Sponsored by:

Open Trailers:Steel vs. Aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008 | 01:28 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

hey 94speedster,

how well does the disco tow? i've got a 2000 d2 and am planning on towing to multi day events. doesn't the d2 have a tranny cooler?

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
The main reason to buy aluminum is the weight savings. This of course comes at a cost. Steel trailers new tend to cost $2-2.5K (BigTex) wheres a new aluminum (Trailex) will run $5K+. I went with a steel trailer a few year back, and it met my needs. I sold it used one year later for (EDIT: 90%) of what I paid for it new. Not a bad deal at all.... (Aluminum trailers also hold their value quite well, so no need to worry about depreciation)

I think the tow capacity of a Cayenne Turbo is 7700lbs, so you should be fine with either.

Good luck.
-B

EDIT: I went back and checked my receipts. I received a little less than 90% of the MSRP for my one year old steel trailer. Just wanted to be factual as steel holds their value quite well (minus rust of course)!

This was my set-up in 2003:
Old 01-05-2008 | 12:13 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Karlooz-

The Disco does have an aux tranmisson cooler. They also have plenty of torque. I towed the Speedster + trailer (@4500 lbs) around the country (big loop to the east coast, southern states and back) over a one month period, and the car handles flawlessly. I also made several trips to CA from UT and never had any problems. I cronicled most of the cross country trip here on Rennlist if you do a search. Occasionaly, I would turn off the AC on really hot days. I can't remember if that was preventative, or because I saw the temps heat up a little in the gauges.

I miss my Disco. Great snow car!

-B
Old 01-05-2008 | 01:05 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
Karlooz-

The Disco does have an aux tranmisson cooler. They also have plenty of torque. I towed the Speedster + trailer (@4500 lbs) around the country (big loop to the east coast, southern states and back) over a one month period, and the car handles flawlessly. I also made several trips to CA from UT and never had any problems. I cronicled most of the cross country trip here on Rennlist if you do a search. Occasionaly, I would turn off the AC on really hot days. I can't remember if that was preventative, or because I saw the temps heat up a little in the gauges.

I miss my Disco. Great snow car!

-B
thx! very encouraging
Old 01-06-2008 | 12:04 AM
callen2
AutoX

Default Many Thanks

Great info from all. Its much appreciated. I do have an extended warranty, but I did not even think of that. Still undecided. Weather is not a huge deal here in SoCal, except this weekend. It seems steel is heavier and cheaper....its would be best to go used on that. Seems Trailex is the popuar choice in Alum. Still kicking tires so to spreak.

Quick Reply: Open Trailers:Steel vs. Aluminum