Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traqmate Inputs using TraqData/TraqTach add-on (what have you added?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toby/Anyone,

Is the DME under the drivers seat ?. It just looks a lot smaller then the ones that I'm used to seeing, such a my old 1985 911 or my BMW 540i, and it seems to have only 3 plugs going into it, not 5 as described above.

Also any good suggestions on where to tap into power for both the trackmate and the Chasecam ?. Would the wires running into the cigarette lighter work ?. Since the center console between the seats has a couple of them, it may it easy to just tap into those.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Rennlist Member

That's probably not the DME. For my Boxster (you may want to double check about 911) the box under the driver's seat controls the airbags (and maybe other things). My DME is in the rear trunk, so I am not sure where do they put it in the 911.

The cigarette lighter should work to power both device, provided the Chase Cam is not a power hog.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Chasecam use 1-2 amps. Why do you think the Chasecam and Traqmate need to be within 12 inches of each other? Ideally the Traqmate should be mounted near the cars roll center (I put mine where the parking brake was when I had one. You could mount it on the tunnel just behind in a stock car. The audio for the Chasecam sucks in the back seat area. I mounted mine on the side of the tunnel almost under the dash on the passenger side.

You can see the Traqmate between the seats and then the Chasecam (with SS1000), Traqmate display and no longer used Hotlap in these pics. I took a piece of mild steel and bent it into a "U" and mounted it upside down to provide a nice platform for the Traqmate to sit on. It was bolted into the tunnel. The power and cables ran along the top of the tunnel, as you can see in the second photo. The little round thing that's hard to see (in front of the shifter) is the LANC.
Attached Images   
Old 01-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Thanks Toby,

Tom, that's a nice setup, but I have a mostly street RS that I would like to keep mostly stock looking. If it was a racecar, I would have bought the stacker mount that they sell and mounted it the way you have it. The Traqmate unit will probably get velcro'd to the armrest/centercosole, and I think I can mount the Chasecam recorder to the RS Rollbar. Of course this is all theory since I can't even find the damn DME
Old 01-14-2008, 10:05 AM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Erik - wherever you end up setting it up, make sure you program it to ALWAYS find and monitor the #27 car. That way, you will know if your day will be more or less fun!
Old 01-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

LOL, you just worry if your 16 month old son can hang by one hand in the next couple of months
Old 02-08-2008, 01:26 PM
boqueron
Pro

LV Dell,

I'm using the OBD for RPM. I'll use the DME for TPS. I'll use the brake light directly for brake. I think that is a good start. I just need to make sure I am wiring properly. Last thing I want to do is fry my Traqmate. If anybody has done these using a Traqmate and Traqdata please chime in (cough cough ...Toby )........
Did you finally connect the RPM sensor ? My race shop is trying to figure out were to connect it on a 2003 GT3.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you have OBD-II in a RoW car???
Old 02-09-2008, 09:14 AM
boqueron
Pro

Good question.....
Old 02-10-2008, 02:55 AM
v12man
Instructor

Dell, boqueron - the OBD port is identical in US and Euro cars.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:01 PM
boqueron
Pro

THanks !!
Old 02-12-2008, 04:33 PM
boqueron
Pro

?????
Old 02-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

I tapped into E6 for RPM, then set the trackmate to 1 cylinder to get the correct rpm (if memory serves me right) and D13 for TPS, and used the 3rd brake light inside the car as the on/off brake. Whatever you do, don't do what I did. Make sure that you mark all the wires clearly. After I had everything hooked up and working, I decided to clean up all the wires and tuck them away, which meant that I had to lenghten a few of them. I then put the brakelight wire into the wrong "hole" and blew up my traqmate.

Their service was fantastic, I told them what I did (apperently I'm not the first, and won't be the last) and a week later I had my unit back, good as new, and it cost me less then $50.00.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:22 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What do ya mean you put the brake light into the wrong hole to blow up the TM?
Old 02-13-2008, 03:13 AM
boqueron
Pro

then put the brakelight wire into the wrong "hole" and blew up my traqmate.

Their service was fantastic, I told them what I did (apparently I'm not the first, and won't be the last) and a week later I had my unit back, good as new, and it cost me less then $50.00.
Great. And.... Does it work now ? ( BTW it's nice to pay ONLY 50.00 to the factory for a problem that occurs regulary with an item that is sold by the same factory to be instaled by DIY users...)

I am having problems with my DL-1 After a whole day expent with the car ( and the - expensive - Porsche mechanic), when the Throttle sensor works, the on/off brake sensor does not. Each on their own do work. Not only this, when installed together one works and , in the graph of the other you can see garbage...

To put things even more interesting, the speed vs time graph shows a speed line ( quite "interesting" if you consider that the car is FULLY STOPPED inside a garage...)

I have to admit that is quite deceiving to buy a DAS that seems to be a "bolt on" item, later to discover that you need an electronics expert to fit it on properly...

Quick Reply: Traqmate Inputs using TraqData/TraqTach add-on (what have you added?)