Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crazy to toss my air conditioner for weight loss?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:01 AM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Sounds like cabin fever.

Redrum
Redrum
Redrum

Leave the AC. Even without it the GT3's are going to leave you and they will have their AC on.
That's what it is!!! Cabin fever.
My son wants me to get Playstation 3 and play Gran Turismo over the internet with him when the next version comes out. Steering wheel, clutch, 6 speed & all. He knows about cabin fever too, but that's to long to wait, so my track dreams continue.
I know the AC out is dumb, but............
OK, OK, I'll shut up.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:23 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedread
That's what it is!!! Cabin fever.
My son wants me to get Playstation 3 and play Gran Turismo over the internet with him when the next version comes out. Steering wheel, clutch, 6 speed & all. He knows about cabin fever too, but that's to long to wait, so my track dreams continue.
I know the AC out is dumb, but............
OK, OK, I'll shut up.
How bout getting a GT3?
Old 12-31-2007, 12:43 AM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is a 90% track car and will be a 100% race car.... but the A/C is still installed. Don't remove it unless you're sure you will never want it.

BTW: on a 928 A/C is 75lbs for compressor and all associated parts other than airbox and blower.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:28 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

when you pull the AC, it becomes a dedicated track. the AC wont win you any DE's either. the entire system is what, 20-35lbs? just run with a 1/8th tank next time you go out on track.

mk
Old 12-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 84-944
I raced 2 years with working A/C, I made weight and finished well so I left it.
105 degree day sitting on pit road while being gridded for 20 minutes, cockpit temp 120+, I had the A/C blasting until we finished our parade lap! It was great.
Keep the A/C.
+7
One of my worst track memories was at WG with my instructor in his race car (no a/c). It was 95-100F in the shade and just a nudge over 120F above the blacktop. We sat for 20 min in the line up and we sweat like a peeeeg.

We went out in my car, still with nice a/c, and sat in the line up with windows closed and a/c on for 20 min. I thought my instructor was going to kiss my bum.

Leave the a/c alone and get a pair of skis.....it will take your mind off it.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:53 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A race car heat soaks by the end of a "normal" stint. Everything is hot because there's no insulation and minimal heat shielding. Heat from the tires, brakes suspension, pumps, fans, blowers, and of course the engine and tranny all transfer to the metal structure of the car and hence its like sitting in an oven. That heat radiates to everything in the car.

Just my $.02 but, if all you are doing is a DE event and the car is a daily driver, leave the AC. If you are interested in pursuing racing, then I'd recommend you buy a car that's prepped for the track. I know our favored marques are born out of competition, and are high-speed wonders, but they are still street cars with street systems that will be affected by use on a track for any period of time. I don't do autocross or DEs in my street 930 for that very reason. I owned an SCCA Spec Racer Ford for track use. It'll be cheaper in the long run and you'll still be enjoying that street Porsche many years from now.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Back when I was racing in the "Showroom Stock" classes (no changes at all...even !!!!stock brake pads!!!!), in the summer we were the happiest drivers on the grid before a race. Windows up, A/C on, stereo cranked.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:01 AM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The valets are going to hate me at the country club." - hilarious

Speedread - sounds like it is time to buy a track car/race car.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:22 PM
TX996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight Loss

Ok some thoughts...

Easy weightloss

1. lighter wheels (maybe 25lbs or so conservatively all four)
2. go on a diet ( you and the car!) unless you are already skinny (call it 10 lbs)
3. run 1/2 a tank of gas or less (6lbs or whatever it is a gallon...think about it..10 gallons is 60 lbs) 50lbs to be safe
4. Remove the passenger seat ( it is damn heavy and also makes draggin stuff to the track easier, it is SUPER simple to take out.... put some bath towels in the sill when you remove and don't ask me how I know, scratches) not sure here let's call it 30lbs to be conservative
5. Run no washer fluid - 1/2 gallon = 3lbs
6. Remove your spare tire - guessing 30lbs

25+10+50+30+3+30= 148 lbs

I think you get the idea...you may be able to gain more or less without carving up your nice 996. get creative....

Hope that helps ya man......
Old 01-12-2008, 01:27 AM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TX996
Ok some thoughts...

Easy weightloss

1. lighter wheels (maybe 25lbs or so conservatively all four)
2. go on a diet ( you and the car!) unless you are already skinny (call it 10 lbs)
3. run 1/2 a tank of gas or less (6lbs or whatever it is a gallon...think about it..10 gallons is 60 lbs) 50lbs to be safe
4. Remove the passenger seat ( it is damn heavy and also makes draggin stuff to the track easier, it is SUPER simple to take out.... put some bath towels in the sill when you remove and don't ask me how I know, scratches) not sure here let's call it 30lbs to be conservative
5. Run no washer fluid - 1/2 gallon = 3lbs
6. Remove your spare tire - guessing 30lbs

25+10+50+30+3+30= 148 lbs

I think you get the idea...you may be able to gain more or less without carving up your nice 996. get creative....

Hope that helps ya man......
I've been gone for a while.
Thanks for the ideas. And the rest of you, thanks too. By the way, I remember reading that the spare tire is part of the crash crumple zone, and should be left in. Anyone know if that's true or not for the 996?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:48 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speedread
How much does a 996 air conditioner weigh? Is it worth loosing for a hp gain? How about if you do not remove all the plumbing? (thus still keeping my fast fading illusion that I could sell it some day to someone who might want to convert it back to stock). How much would I gain by removing all the carpet. I probably am not going to do either. I do not race. I only do DE with my street/track car. I just am going "heavy snow, no track, daydreaming crazy". Still..... what do you think?
If you're just doing DEs don't bother removing it. Who F'in cares about a few lbs or hp in a DE environment? What's the prize for that extra .2 seconds/lap? (Been there, done that with that mentality, I'm just hoping you'll listen to a veteran who has been through this cycle...)

If you're going to to race the car... still don't remove it! The AC may be required by the class you are going in to. You'll need to review the class rules for where you want to race and then make your decision.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Total weight is about 25lbs for the compressor, condensor, easily accessable lines, etc. As mentioned, there are much easier ways. Also, the crash bars in the front and rear are about 25lbs each. Save the A/C till the car is under 2900 lbs then you can take it out.

Quick Reply: crazy to toss my air conditioner for weight loss?