Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about a RL Sim Racing Forum?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 12:26 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does GTR or GTR2 have as many real world tracks as rFactor? Which US tracks does it have? I don't own a sim, but have been looking into them for grins. I agree that real world tracks are a huge benefit of these. But only the ones I'd likely ever actually drive. I probably won't ever make it to Interlagos, for example...
Old 12-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by joel-cs
I have Forza 2 for Xbox (er, my son does) and just started playing. But I can't stand the controllers. What wheel and pedals should I get for Xbox?
Sell the XBox on EBay, get a PS3 for your "son", get a Logitech G25 stup and you can use it on your PS3 AND your PC!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
Does GTR or GTR2 have as many real world tracks as rFactor? Which US tracks does it have? I don't own a sim, but have been looking into them for grins. I agree that real world tracks are a huge benefit of these. But only the ones I'd likely ever actually drive. I probably won't ever make it to Interlagos, for example...
No, it doesn't at this time.. see my previous post for a link to the track listing but without looking there are over 300 tracks available for rFactor... there's even a Lawnmower racing mod for guys like Paolo!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:41 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
... there's even a Lawnmower racing mod for guys like Paolo!

All I know is I mentioned buying the PS3 and attaching the G25, first......

BTW, why did you go with the 80GB instead of the 40GB?
And what racing games are planning to buy?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

80GB has more USB ports and a memory reader that allows the play of PS2 games should you desire to, and it comes with Motorstorm -http://www.us.playstation.com/MotorStorm/ (now THAT'S racing!). For a silly $100 I hate looking back and thinking "I wish" so....

"Though the 40GB console won't have any memory-card readers and sports only two USB 2.0 ports, it will have built-in IEEE 802.11 b/g wireless networking capability. Like its counterparts elsewhere in the world, though, it will not have software-based backwards compatibility with PlayStation 2 games. Full specifications of the new console are listed below.

For those who either don't want the stripped-down 40GB PS3 or simply can't wait until November 2, SCEA also announced it is cutting the price of its 80GB model to just $499 in the US. (The 80GB console is not currently available in Europe.) Though the PS3 remains the most expensive game console on the market, today's announcement puts both models within reach of the $349 Xbox 360 Pro and the $449 Xbox 360 Elite.

That said, the PS3's inclusion of a Blu-ray disc drive may give it an edge to North American audio-visual fanatics still on the next-gen console fence. No 360 can play HD-DVDs without the addition of an external $179 HD-DVD player, which would make the Pro model cost $528 and the Elite cost $628 in the US for comparable functionality. Also, the 40GB PS3 is now the most affordable BD player on the market, with the cheapest standalone BD players still costing more than $400. Also, all PS3s have HDMI audio-video outputs, a feature that is standard only on the 360 Elite, though it is being slowly phased into other models. "
Old 12-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Why not?

http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsand...schule-brazil/

Jeremy Clarkson hadn't thought of driving Laguna Seca until playing GT4...

http://www.kewego.com/video/iLyROoaft0ZG.html
Old 12-13-2007, 01:06 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

80GB has more USB ports and a memory reader that allows the play of PS2 games should you desire to, and it comes with Motorstorm -http://www.us.playstation.com/MotorStorm/ (now THAT'S racing!). For a silly $100 I hate looking back and thinking "I wish" so....

"Though the 40GB console won't have any memory-card readers and sports only two USB 2.0 ports, it will have built-in IEEE 802.11 b/g wireless networking capability. Like its counterparts elsewhere in the world, though, it will not have software-based backwards compatibility with PlayStation 2 games. Full specifications of the new console are listed below.

For those who either don't want the stripped-down 40GB PS3 or simply can't wait until November 2, SCEA also announced it is cutting the price of its 80GB model to just $499 in the US. (The 80GB console is not currently available in Europe.) Though the PS3 remains the most expensive game console on the market, today's announcement puts both models within reach of the $349 Xbox 360 Pro and the $449 Xbox 360 Elite.

That said, the PS3's inclusion of a Blu-ray disc drive may give it an edge to North American audio-visual fanatics still on the next-gen console fence. No 360 can play HD-DVDs without the addition of an external $179 HD-DVD player, which would make the Pro model cost $528 and the Elite cost $628 in the US for comparable functionality. Also, the 40GB PS3 is now the most affordable BD player on the market, with the cheapest standalone BD players still costing more than $400. Also, all PS3s have HDMI audio-video outputs, a feature that is standard only on the 360 Elite, though it is being slowly phased into other models. "
Yes Sir......
Old 12-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

The 40GB will be just fine.... did you order your new system yet? Sorry about leaving out the DVD burner, I was in a rush..
Old 12-13-2007, 02:04 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Gary;
A quick qestion - I see they have an option to DL the entire game or buy on CDs - do you have a preference? Ever have any problems with the DL files?
I'll try the demo to see if it runs on my machine - some of the others are iffy.
Alan
Old 12-13-2007, 02:06 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

The 40GB will be just fine.... did you order your new system yet? Sorry about leaving out the DVD burner, I was in a rush..
I am going to upgrade to the PS3 80GB and get the new PC system next year.....
Old 12-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aeshultz
Gary;
A quick qestion - I see they have an option to DL the entire game or buy on CDs - do you have a preference? Ever have any problems with the DL files?
I'll try the demo to see if it runs on my machine - some of the others are iffy.
Alan
Alan- No problems and I buy most games that way now.. as long as you have a good broadband connection and use their DL Manager it works great. The rFactor DL is the full game as I remember, buying it just gives you an activation key # and unlocks all the content.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:07 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Yep! As it's snowing pretty hard here i'm even more bored than usual! Just bought a PS3 80GB at Best Buy, picking it up tomorrow!
I'm going to have to take up ice racing; this off season is just way too long.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:46 PM
krC2S
Racer

guys going for PS3 (paolo and gary) right now your options are

GT4(ps2 game)
F1 championship( i hear it's good)
GT5 prologue which just came out in japan, is prelim version of GT5
with less tracks and cars then GT4/GT5 ...it will probably be released in the US in a couple of months
but you can get the japanese copy if you can't wait from play-asia.com
the full GT5 is probably a year away.

a good place to go to for GT games is http://www.gtplanet.net/
Old 12-13-2007, 04:45 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I haven't seen anyone mention GT Legends (which is based on GTR, I believe; for the PC); its an historic race car series but on modern tracks.
Enticing for those of us that think Can-Am races were the pinnacle of the sport.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:50 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I haven't seen anyone mention GT Legends (which is based on GTR, I believe; for the PC); its an historic race car series but on modern tracks.
Enticing for those of us that think Can-Am races were the pinnacle of the sport.
Rick, you are a dating yourself....... BTW, ice racing sounds good, just tell me when and where......

KrC2S, thanks for the PS3 info.

Quick Reply: How about a RL Sim Racing Forum?