Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about a RL Sim Racing Forum?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007 | 10:05 PM
Barfly
Racer

It doesn't take a state-of-the art PC to run these games which is nice.

In my opinion, the physics of the SIMBIN titles are good stretch ahead of GT4. That won't stop me from playing and enjoying GT5 though.
Old 12-11-2007 | 01:48 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by krC2S

i play gran turismo and love the gameplay but sick of the limited tracks/cars..
If you have access to an Xbox 360, Forza Motorsport 2 has great p car content, good tracks, and there is downloadable content so there will be future cars and tracks for a few $$$. Im still going to get GT5, but Forza 2 is great until then!!
Old 12-11-2007 | 08:35 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Riff
Anyone planning on getting a PS3 for GT5? There will be online racing this time around. I went this route and the Prologue demo that was released is AWESOME. They really upped the ante with the visuals and the driving physics are even better than before. My home machine is probably too clunky to play any of the other sims mentioned.

Cheers
Riff -

Not owning a console I can't compare the two but from my limited knowledge I would say the PC version's of racing sims are world's ahead in both software maturity and hardware controllers available.

As for other questions; I would say it sounds like rFactor is a pretty common denominator but GTR2 is close. As for which sim is "best", to be honest I like Race07 right now but there are no Porsche's (yet). With rFactor, you can find a mod for just about any race car in existence from Karts to F1 and about every track out there.. there is even a lawn mower racing mod!
Old 12-11-2007 | 01:22 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

+1 rFactor... all the tracks that I drive on... Summit, Road Atlanta, etc, etc, etc
Old 12-11-2007 | 01:38 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

+2 for rFactor. I just recently joined a league (trackpedia.com) and it's great!
Old 12-11-2007 | 06:50 PM
Barfly
Racer

Forza 2 was a nice game and there is a bunch of Porsche content as Jason mentioned. I'm excited to check out the Nissan GT-R in GT5, even if it is a heavy pig.

So, who is willing to set something up? It wouldn't be hard to set a mic up, so chat could be available. Another way to get to know one another and a hell of a lot cheaper.
Old 12-11-2007 | 07:12 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Get Teamspeak ( http://www.goteamspeak.com/?page=downloads ), we can all hook up on a free Public server and talk crap before, during, and after the races!.. Boston - Add a cheap headset and mic combo (Radio shack has some good ones cheap) to your list, about $30; http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
Old 12-11-2007 | 09:06 PM
krC2S
Racer

Jason I don't have an xbox but i heard very good things about forza
can't wait for GT5 but having played GTR2 i would love to have the same type of cars and tracks in a game that plays more realistically then GTR2 like GT4 for instance.. with PS3 games having a lot more downloading/patching going on I am hopeful we will have similar mods/tracks in GT series soon

Originally Posted by J Silverman
If you have access to an Xbox 360, Forza Motorsport 2 has great p car content, good tracks, and there is downloadable content so there will be future cars and tracks for a few $$$. Im still going to get GT5, but Forza 2 is great until then!!
Old 12-11-2007 | 09:48 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pyruvate

So, who is willing to set something up?
If anyone plays Forza hit me up, my SN is NOVAdub.
Old 12-11-2007 | 10:01 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Get Teamspeak ( http://www.goteamspeak.com/?page=downloads ), we can all hook up on a free Public server and talk crap before, during, and after the races!.. Boston - Add a cheap headset and mic combo (Radio shack has some good ones cheap) to your list, about $30; http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
Man.....Gary you really know your stuff.........

My Logitech 25 and GT2 is arriving thursday, I just hope I won't overload my PC.....All I have to do now is go toRadio Shack and I then Iwill be all set......
Old 12-11-2007 | 10:03 PM
joel-cs
Instructor

I have Forza 2 for Xbox (er, my son does) and just started playing. But I can't stand the controllers. What wheel and pedals should I get for Xbox?
Old 12-11-2007 | 10:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Man.....Gary you really know your stuff.........

My Logitech 25 and GT2 is arriving thursday, I just hope I won't overload my PC.....All I have to do now is go toRadio Shack and I then Iwill be all set......
Next i'll have you building a killer PC and you'll be all set!
Old 12-11-2007 | 10:55 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Next i'll have you building a killer PC and you'll be all set!
Ahhh, we still have to set up dates for my "hands on course" remember?

We got to set the priorities straight.....
Old 12-11-2007 | 11:21 PM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Riff
Anyone planning on getting a PS3 for GT5? There will be online racing this time around. I went this route and the Prologue demo that was released is AWESOME. They really upped the ante with the visuals and the driving physics are even better than before. My home machine is probably too clunky to play any of the other sims mentioned.

Cheers
I have a PS3, and has been playing the GT5 Prologue Demo (it's a mouthful...) from Sony's Japanese site for the past couple months.

Only 1 track (Suzuka) and 7-8 cars. The graphics is jaw dropping, and the physics is excellent, as always.

The Prologue will be released in Japan tomorrow. A friend is getting it for me, and will be bringing it here over Chrismas. Looking forward to it.

A list of tracks and cars in the Prologue. http://www.gran-turismo.com/en/

It will be released in the US mid-Feb.
Old 12-11-2007 | 11:47 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Live For Speed (LFS) is great and cheap...especially for those that like to tinker with suspension setups (you have control over EVERYTHING...you can even monitor tire temp)... the downside is I don't think any of the tracks are based on the real world. Look it up online....there is a free demo with no time limit.

Quick Reply: How about a RL Sim Racing Forum?