Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a car sight unseen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007 | 02:54 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Default Buying a car sight unseen?

Alright guys i need to ask a question about buying a race car sight unseen. I'm looking for a bmw (yea i know its no porsche) and there are a few nice ones for sale out in CA (check out the dinan 325/m3 on evilbay at the moment). Now taking a flight out to CA just to see a car just to see the car is not going to happen at the moment. So other than the usual compression and leakdown test what do i ask for? The car has seen a complete work though turning a 325 into an M3 with lots of mice parts. Thats VERY expensive process and I'd hope that any of the problems with the car would be solved when they did this. The car is also being sold by the shop that did all the work. I've traded a few emails with the seller a month or so back about the car (its been for sale for 6 months now), and I'm 90% sure everything that should be on the car is.

So what should i ask for? The car would need to be shipped, and I'm thinking of just shipping it to my local shop for a look over. Now I've never done this before so what should i look out for?
Old 12-07-2007 | 03:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Lots of people buy cars sight unseen, but it's not a practice that I feel comfortable with.
Old 12-07-2007 | 03:17 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

I sold a car sight unseen. I felt completely comfortable.
Old 12-07-2007 | 03:29 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I've bought 2 P-cars w/o seeing them personally. One this week. I have sent them to very respected shops for PPI. The one this week is a race car.
I would think a fellow RLer would put eyes on it for you.

One thing about swapping engines in BMWs is the OBCD. If they were not of the same original EMS you can have a nightmare on your hands. I drive with a guy who is living that dream. Be careful.
Old 12-07-2007 | 03:33 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

For me, I'm got to know the owner OR people who know the owner. If he (or she) is ****, I'll buy their car!
My rules for race car purchase (best case, can't always have all)
1) Know the owner, are they perfectionist? Safety conscious (probably should be 1st)
2) Talk w/the mechanic who services the car
3) If the top 2 aren't possible, talk to people I know in that area and ask about the car and/or owner.
3) Find out race venues they race. Check out the results for that car. Did they finish most races they started (i.e.reliable). How did they finish relative the others in their class?
Old 12-07-2007 | 03:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Bought my Cup car sight unseen, from a Rennlist member, true gentleman.
Old 12-07-2007 | 03:38 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

I bought my Cup sight unseen from Germany. It is a damn scary process, but I did as much homework on the car and the seller as I could. All was fine. The seller took the car for a PPI at a Porsche Zentrum. That was the best peace of mind I could get (and it didn't offer a lot).

I've bought other cars long distance, but I didn't hand any money over in those circumstances until I had gotten on a plane and saw the car in person (within U.S.).
Old 12-07-2007 | 03:48 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

So what should i ask for?
I don't mean to insult you, but if you don't know what to ask, you probably shouldn't be buying somethign unseen. Cars can look good, but it is the details that make or break a racecar build. How is it wired, how is it welded together, what kind of maintenance, what is worn, how does it feel? The details are the things that will kill you.
Old 12-07-2007 | 03:58 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't do it. Very risky. It doesn't sound like a particularly unique opportunity ... why not just wait till one a little closer shows up? If you feel you MUST move ahead, hire somebody that's very knowledgeable and reliable to go over and look at the car for you ... maybe after you've had a fellow Rennlister check it out.
Old 12-07-2007 | 04:12 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

ask a pelican to take a look. you're sure to find an expert who is local
Old 12-07-2007 | 04:19 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I did it. All I could go on was the PPI done by a reputable shop. I did consider it a crap shoot but the purchase price was such that I was willing to take the risk. I definitely wouldn't pay a premium for a sight unseen car from an unknown buyer...unless that was the only/best way to get the car (like the Cup Car example)
Old 12-07-2007 | 04:43 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I don't mean to insult you, but if you don't know what to ask, you probably shouldn't be buying somethign unseen. Cars can look good, but it is the details that make or break a racecar build. How is it wired, how is it welded together, what kind of maintenance, what is worn, how does it feel? The details are the things that will kill you.
haha, yes my initial post was vague, and after looking and and driving a few race cars i know exactly what i want. I've asked 90% of the initial questions to the seller and I'm thinking that a PPI by a different shop might be nice.

the car has a good track record with the old engine/tranny, but had little info with the new setup.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll be sure to do a little more digging.
Old 12-07-2007 | 04:48 PM
MarkSchu
Instructor

Bingo - I bought a race car site unseen that supposedly turn key and well sorted....well, the roll cage was a bolt in POS, the fuel cell and fire suppression systems were not much better. I didn't ask details, just checked off the items on a punch list, assuming they would be up to par. The warning signs? The car had no log book or history. Next time either I see it in person with my wrench or I see the log book....or possibly both.
Old 12-07-2007 | 05:07 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

PPI req'd! You pick the shop - I'm sure someone can recommend one.

Dependable Auto Shippers - cost me $580 to ship my last purchase from San Diego to VA last summer.
Old 12-07-2007 | 05:18 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Are you armed, and does the seller know that ?

Quick Reply: Buying a car sight unseen?