Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a car sight unseen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007 | 06:29 PM
Cory M
Drifting

I bought a car long distance before. I had a PPI completed by the shop of my choice and faxed to me, when that checked out I sent a small deposit check and showed up in person to check it out before paying for it.

I have looked at WAY too many cars that sound great then turn out to be junk.
Old 12-07-2007 | 06:51 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

I got really lucky with my car. I'd searched for months online for an '03 996 matching my specs. I finally found one at a high line dealer in PA. I had them take it for a PPI to a Porsche dealer of my choosing. The dealer called to report that the car has passed the PPI and was in absolutely perfect condition and that if I ended up not buying it to let them know because their used car manager wanted to buy it for his personal car. I also ran a carfax and talked to the previous owner on the phone. Based on all of this, I decided to go for it and arranged for it to be shipped to my house halfway across the country via enclosed carrier. It showed up in a big yellow semi truck and as the driver unloaded it and handed me the keys, it was one of the best days of my life! The car was flawless and has been so for the past 4 years. It worked out for me, but clearly I got very lucky and found an amazing car...
Old 12-07-2007 | 08:29 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Fly out on the condition that if you find something that wasn't previously disclosed the seller reimburses you for your trouble.
Old 12-07-2007 | 08:34 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If I couldn't make the trip, I would send someone knowledgeable that I trusted. Otherwise, I would pass.

That is how I have done it successfully, and how the buyer of one car I sold did it when he couldn't make the trip. He sent his tech (owner of a race shop outside of Summit Point) to me, who went over the car and called him from my garage with his report while I was present. No misunderstandings and all went very well.

Quick Reply: Buying a car sight unseen?