Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stolen trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007 | 11:37 PM
silver44
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we all agree and Sean is right. If a thief wants the trailer he/she is going to take it. What about using those GPS units that you can track it with? Are they worth while? If you can't stop them from taking it, can we at least be able to locate it once they do?
Old 12-07-2007 | 01:30 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver44
I think we all agree and Sean is right. If a thief wants the trailer he/she is going to take it. What about using those GPS units that you can track it with? Are they worth while? If you can't stop them from taking it, can we at least be able to locate it once they do?
I think some sort of reporting GPS tracking device would be the way to go. Catch them red handed.

Sorry about this Bill,

IPSC
Old 12-07-2007 | 08:15 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This was brought up a while ago when Christian's beautiful trailer was stolen

Here's the GPS tracking device that is probably the best way to keep track of your stuff...

http://www.dewalt.com/us/security/mobilelock/

Although I have my trailer and car in a very secure aea with video monitoring etc I think this would be a good idea for the trailer when it leaves the garage.
Old 12-07-2007 | 10:54 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys I found this and I bought it. It works great. Pretty much impossible to cut the lock or hasps off the trailer back door now.

http://snatchlatch.com/

2Bridges who makes that cable for the wheels ?

Also I'd add wheel lug nut locks. One more deterrent.
Old 12-07-2007 | 11:46 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

SnatchLatch? I was thinking something TOTALLLY different....
Old 12-07-2007 | 01:51 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about the loss, Bill. Hopefully the bastards who took it will find their place in hell.
Old 12-07-2007 | 02:00 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by AndyT
Guys I found this and I bought it. It works great. Pretty much impossible to cut the lock or hasps off the trailer back door now.

http://snatchlatch.com/

2Bridges who makes that cable for the wheels ?

Also I'd add wheel lug nut locks. One more deterrent.
I recall it is kryptonite. Should mention that cable is not marketed (or probably intended) as a trailer wheel lock cable. Think it was $65 or so.

I don't have any pic, but I usually have aprox18" chunk of 2" heavy wall square tubing (Painted orange - to attract attention) on the lower exposed portion of the cable. Doubt it adds much additional security, but at a drive by it looks much more secure and hopefully like more of a hassle for a thief.

Last edited by 2bridges; 12-07-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2007 | 09:27 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
My agent told me that a race car would not be covered. There is a good company for race car insurance. It is Parrish, located, I think, in Nashville. They have resonable rates, and tell me that the car is covered for most hazzards until it reaches the hot pits, then it is not covered, as it is not on the track, but when you return to the regular pits, it is covered again. So if someone steals it saturday night while you are at a motel, it is covered. I'm going to look into them.

Also, glad to hear that Pace etches the VIN, that was the kind of enclosed trailer I had, it was a good one.

TR6, yeah, I had a hitch lock on, and there were no pieces of it at the scene, so they either took it with them, or they used a wrecker to take the trailer. Also, after the rash of thefts in my home county, I started taking the right side wheels off. A smart thief could carry a couple of wheels, but most crooks take the path of least resistance, and with the wheels off, even a wrecker would have a hard time taking it. I'll bet a boobytrap bomb would work, but I would probably blow myself up.

Bill
I am doing some Research for our chapter of the PCA and looking for companies who may quote property damage for DE's do you this this group has a DE package, if so you you send me the contact info or send a PM.
Old 12-07-2007 | 11:47 PM
Janni
Intermediate

We had our first 48' Featherlight stolen in 2001. It was insured. Fireman's Fund replaced it - in full - $50 deductible in under 30 days so we could make an event at Mid Ohio.

2 months later, the police called us - there had been a trailer theft ring - landscape trailers, horse trailers, pig cookers (!) etc.

Featherlite marks their trailers with the VIN in at least one additional location other than the riveted plate on the tongue.

Our trailer was scheduled to be sold at auction, but mysteriously never made it through the sale. It was about 1.5 years old and perfect.

Insurance is just too cheap NOT to have.
Old 12-08-2007 | 09:28 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill, sorry to hear about the theft.

We use a GPS/Starter Interrupt system in my business - you can track a car and disable the starter through the web. I am pretty sure you could rig that up to activate the trailer brakes (you would need electric brakes, of course) when you send the disable command. Find the trailer, notify the police and cause a break down if they are moving.
Old 12-08-2007 | 06:03 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Mark, are those things very expensive?

Bill
Old 12-08-2007 | 06:16 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
Mark, are those things very expensive?

Bill
The one we use is around $230. You get a certain number of pings and disables with the package. It is made by Citrix (as I recall) - there are many others on the market. Look for payment enforcement devices used by car dealers. I would think that you could wire the disable into the brake 'dead-man' switch and lock up the trailer brakes. If you only want GPS tracking, I think you can find these for around $175.

Quick Reply: Stolen trailer