Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007 | 10:36 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David 23
Trying to make some plans for a future tow vehicle. Plan to tow a 16' open aluminum trailer (1000lbs.) with a 2600 lbs. 911 onboard.
My wife loves Land Rovers, so thinking I could make this a less painful situation, could an older LWB Range Rover or HSE tow this rig? I'm in Texas, not towing to Colorado, just fairly local flat drives.
I would avoid both like the plague, despite the relative light weight you are towing. Range Rovers have long been THE least reliable vehicles sold in the US. Never IMO has any vehicle used so much fuel to produce so little power. They break down all the time, and just aren't up to the task. You are better off getting a Sequoia or Armada or new style Tahoe/Yukon.
Old 12-05-2007 | 10:45 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

If i understand you correctly you are looking for a combined use for your wife and tow vehicle for you.

Any V8 powered Toyota product will do the trick handsomely. Certainly the new Tundra will cover this job in spades but don't overlook the Sequoia, Land Cruiser, or 4Runner. The V8 in the SUV's is something like 280hp, 310trq. It moves out very well and the chassis' are very capable of handling the non-acceleration related stuff (handling, braking, etc). The models also offer Some have auto leveling suspension (air bags). Mine doesn't.

I have a 2005 V8 4Runner and tow a very similar set-up as what you have. Capacity is 7,000lbs and I pull about 4,750 all loaded up. I added a weight distributing hitch and it made the drive that much better. I also use it as a daily driver and the wife likes it too. I get 19-20mpg not towing and 12-14mpg towing. My tows range from 1hr to 9hrs over hill and dale.
Old 12-05-2007 | 10:53 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Somehow, there is a certain irony to using a British "truck" (ha) to tow a German car.

Talk to any competent independant import service shop...they LOVE Land Rovers. You can guess why.....
Old 12-05-2007 | 10:55 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Somehow, there is a certain irony to using a British "truck" (ha) to tow a German car.

Talk to any competent independant import service shop...they LOVE Land Rovers. You can guess why.....
^^^ TRUTH ^^^
Old 12-05-2007 | 11:08 AM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

I love towing with my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel. It tows 10,000 lbs. up and down hills w/ 35" tires, no problem. I also have some additional gizmo's that pump the engine up some.

It is always nicer to tow with a heavier vehicle, as this drives the trailer easier.

One thing I like about the Ram is the brakes are designed to work with a load so I have never had any stopping issues.

Sufficient side mirrors to see around the trailer are a must, but can be accomplished with aftermarket attached mirrors.

For the Wifey, I would suggest a larger SUV, the Sequoia looks nice.
Old 12-05-2007 | 11:33 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Brendan, don't even think about it. A 3/4 ton has much larger brakes, axels, rear differencial and I believe most have different transmissions. They are not the same animal. We have 1 and only 1 1/2 ton van at work and I will never buy another one. Goes through brakes and rotors fast, even had to replace axels once. No, don't go there.
My point was since I was planning a Frame-off type of restoration (and engine upgrade) - if I were to also upgrade the brakes, differential and axles, as you suggest they are not uprated enough - possibly I would end up with a good tow vehicle. Possibly GETTING these pieces from the 3500 suburban?
Old 12-05-2007 | 11:49 AM
Z-man
Race Director

I bought a Ford Explorer Sport Trac V8 this year - it is my daily driver and tow vehicle. My views are limited, but here's some things I've learned:

1. Bigger is better, but big enough is sufficient as well.
- Since my Sport Trac is my daily driver, I am pleased that is has a more car-like ride than something that's built on a truck platform. The independant rear suspension really helps smooth out the ride. And at 7000 lbs towing capacity, I have a sufficient buffer to tow my 944 on a steel open trailer.
- You need a V8. Not matter what folks say, a V8 is necessary to tow any car trailer - open/closed, steel/aluminum. Sure, you can tow with a V6 (or maybe a Jetta!) but in an emergency situation, more power can save the day. Plus a bigger engine will last longer and take the extra load easier. In the hills in PA and NY (trip to Watkins Glen), I've not had a problem climbing them with the Sport Trac.
- If Mrs. Dave 23 is part of the equation, then you probably shouldn't get a 3500 Mega-cab uber truck. Unless she wants something like that!

2. Make sure everything is properly setup. If buying new, get whatever trailer package the truck comesw with. These packages typically include trailer hitch receiver, wiring harness for the electronic brake controller, and extra cooling for the tranny fluid. Then get a decent digital brake controller installed.

3. Get a trailer with electric brakes, not surge brakes. Make sure the hitch ball is at the proper height, and when loaded you have the proper tongue weight.
Old 12-05-2007 | 11:52 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would second or third the Armada. My sister has one and that thing would pull an open trailer nice. I pulled with a BMW X5 (V8) with the load leveling suspension and it was nice. It was also a lot more fun to drive around when not towing than the Armada would be (I would think). Armada would be safer especially if you bring much gear with you to the track.
Old 12-05-2007 | 01:07 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John H
I would second or third the Armada.
I bought a Titan to tow with, which is essentially the same as the Armada except the armada has independent rear suspension. If you dont mind the pickup you can get some great deals. Im 100% happy with my purchase so far.
Old 12-05-2007 | 01:12 PM
Vampire
Racer

I tow an enclosed Featherlite with my 2004 Dodge Durango w/Hemi. When I did my research, it had a high tow capacity to price ratio. Do not go with 2003 Durangos or older as they are entirly different.
Old 12-05-2007 | 02:47 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vampire
I tow an enclosed Featherlite with my 2004 Dodge Durango w/Hemi. When I did my research, it had a high tow capacity to price ratio. Do not go with 2003 Durangos or older as they are entirly different.
I forgot about the Durango, another good option. If I remember right the wheelbase is about the same as an Expedition but the overall package is smaller. I shopped these when I made my decision but decided against it because I wanted to be able to carry more stuff. The interior finish is also a step down from the Expedition or Armada. Still, a good choice for the price point and a great package if you want something a little smaller.
Old 12-05-2007 | 02:52 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

David,

I have an open steel trailer with tire rack, and my car weighs about 2500 empty (911SC), 2640 with full tank. I tow with an'04 F150 FX4. While an F250 or 2500 diesel would be an easier tow, I do not feel it is worth the extra $. I tow to 4-6 events a year, and the delta in gas does not offset the extra cost for the diesel (about $6k I think), especially when you factor in current diesel fuel prices.

Plus, and this is big for me, the tow vehicle has to be my daily driver. The F150 is way-more comfortable than the 3/4 ton diesels, especially unloaded on the highway. The F150 is the most comfortable vehicle we have, including a Volvo S80. If you need an SUV, go with the Toyota Sequoia or Nissan Armada. They are basically the Tundra and Titan with SUV sheet metal and seats. Unfortunately, Ford's only truck-based SUV is the Excursion, and it rides like the F250. You would probably be good with a Suburban or Tahoe, but I have no experience with those. Wheelbase and weight are your friends when towing. I would not tow 5000 lbs with anything with a significantly shorter wheelbase or significantly lighter than my F150 (145", 5300#).

My F150 gets 14-15 around town/mixed, 18-19 highway, 12 towing @ 60, 9.5 towing @ 75.
Old 12-05-2007 | 03:35 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Has anyone tried using something like a sprinter?

http://www-5.dodge.com/vehsuite/VehicleCompare.jsp

6000 +lb cargo

5000 towing.
Old 12-05-2007 | 04:01 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

By the way, David, you are more than welcome to take out either my Expedition or my F-250 for a test tow if you like. Both have brake controllers already installed. Just let me know.
Old 12-05-2007 | 04:29 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I believe that SUV's make fine tow vehicles; but, I like to buy gas away from the track. Which means that at the end of the day I dump the full cans in the 911 and take them to town. I fill them up in the morning and bring them back to the track. I don't want them in the vehicle with me. I don't even want the smell of the funnel in the truck with me.

Quick Reply: Tow Vehicle?