Sponsored by:

Racing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:58 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Racing belt question

I am in the process of making the decision as to what belts to put in my car. I have the roll bar and GT3 recaro seats. I am considering the Schroth Profi II 6H belts for the Hans application. I did a search on the list to pick up all discussions on this belt and came across post from 2006 that said that you could not use the profi 3-2 belt ( two inch shoulder belts) unless you were using a hans devise. I plan to get the device but I assume that you can you the two inch shoulder belts without it is this correct.

also a vender is proposing that I by the Schroth belt though Porsche which is more expensive then going to another vender. any thoughts about the Porsche Schroth belts, worth the extra price?
Old 12-05-2007, 12:40 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

As a long-time Schroth distributor and installer, I would tell you that the Profi HANS-specific belts should never, ever be used without the HANS in use in case (God forbid) you actually need them. Unless you commit to putting the HANS device on each & every time, I would get the Profi-II 6-pt setup.

IMHO,..the Porsche-sourced belts offer nothing more than the opportunity to say where you bought them,.....
Old 12-05-2007, 02:30 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I just picked up my new set of OMP 6pts and am very impressed with their quality. The features are top notch with clip-in ends, aluminum adjusters, beautiful lightweight camlock. Reasonably priced and top notch stuff.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:50 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A word to the wise, if you buy belts other than Schroth Profi II, with or without Hans shoulder belts, or the Porsche-labeled Schroth belts, make sure that the aluminum adjusters on the lap belts will clear the slots in your GT3 Recaro seats. Many of the adjusters are simply too large for the slots and your lap belt adjuster will be stuck on one side or the other of the slot. The Schroth Profi II work well and there are no clearance problems.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:59 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I purchased a set of Profii II-6 belts for both driver and passenger side of my car. Then I ADDED a set of Profi II-6HANS shoulder belts to the driver side as well. I can now use my HANS when I am driving and NOT when I am taking out a student and still have the proper belts on for the proper application.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:51 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hooker.

'Nuf said.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:00 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
A word to the wise, if you buy belts other than Schroth Profi II, with or without Hans shoulder belts, or the Porsche-labeled Schroth belts, make sure that the aluminum adjusters on the lap belts will clear the slots in your GT3 Recaro seats. Many of the adjusters are simply too large for the slots and your lap belt adjuster will be stuck on one side or the other of the slot. The Schroth Profi II work well and there are no clearance problems.
Regardless of the belt used, you should never have the adjuster even with, or close to the outside of the slot in the seat. The belt will move and stretch in a collision and you run a real risk of the adjuster snagging on the opening, twisting and causing the belt to "dump". That is where all the webbing move to one side of a slot in the belt hardware and the concentrated stresses cut the belt.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:30 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbaker
Hooker.

'Nuf said.
Please say more. Never looked into Hooker but from a quick glance looks like I will. What sets it apart?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
Hooker.

'Nuf said.
Never heard of them before, look well made though. As for the Schroth's, I got the HANs specific because I never run without it. The shoulder belts are fine and I can sock them down nice and tight. What I don't like are the lap belts and maybe it's just me but I can't ever seem to get them really tight (I pull UP to tighten). My Deist, on the other hand, I can cut the blood flow off in my leg with! (they pull down, away from the lock). Is it something i'm doing wrong? I know the Deist belt material is a LOT more pliable also..
Old 12-05-2007, 11:08 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Please say more. Never looked into Hooker but from a quick glance looks like I will. What sets it apart?
1. This is probably the strongest harness on the market.

2. Hooker may be the only mfgr to use mil spec webbing. The Air Force replaces theirs every 13 years. Very cost effective.

3. With the ratchet on the lap belt it will not loosen, ever. This why it is so popular for aerobatics, off road racing, off shore boat racing, monster truck and dirt circle track racing--and crash testing.

We test exclusively with Hooker.

Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
Old 12-05-2007, 02:50 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I learns me something every day. The ratchet was the point that I am looking into further. sit down snug up and crank in "Crew chief pulled tight" without having a guy step on you and pull your belts.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:56 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
I purchased a set of Profii II-6 belts for both driver and passenger side of my car. Then I ADDED a set of Profi II-6HANS shoulder belts to the driver side as well. I can now use my HANS when I am driving and NOT when I am taking out a student and still have the proper belts on for the proper application.
Thanks all for the posts. I did want to follow up on this. are you saying you bought two sets with 3 inch shoulder belts and then just purchased the two inch shoulder portion that you could interchange. also just curious When you take out a student, why would you not ware the hans. ( maybe you would if I were your student). If you just bought the 2 inch shoulder belt as a add on what did that cost?
Old 12-05-2007, 11:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I already had the Profi II-6 belts in the car that I installed last year (both sides). Then, about 2 or 3 months ago I purchased a new helmet and HANS device. When I did, I kept my old helmet which has my Chatterbox bolted onto it that I use for when I am instructing. When I take a student out in my car, I do not wear a HANS when I have the Chatterbox helmet b/c I do not have anchors installed on it nor would it be easy to move my head around easily when talking to a student when explaining the track, etc.. Unless, it is a "go fast" session where I don't talk to the student at that speed or x/10th level then I wear the HANS and tell them I am not going to talk but rather focus solely on driving.

The PROFI II-6 HANS shoulder belts (2 to 3) were available for purchase for about $180 IIRC. Iwent through HMS for that.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:32 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Just an unasked for internet opinion which is worth 1/2 of a nigerian spam email. I would be inclined to put the chatterbox on the HANS helmet or HANS on the chatterbox helmet. You do not need eye contact to instruct a student in your car. Slow laps does not mean squat. 30 mph delta impact is 40 Gs or so. You would look real stupid getting you neck snapped after purchasing 3 sets of belts, 2 helments and one H&N.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:59 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Well crap Kurt, since you put it that way, I'm getting anchors installed ASAP!!!

By the way, great lead-in sentence

Quick Reply: Racing belt question