Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007 | 08:21 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kurt M
Just an unasked for internet opinion which is worth 1/2 of a nigerian spam email. I would be inclined to put the chatterbox on the HANS helmet or HANS on the chatterbox helmet. You do not need eye contact to instruct a student in your car. Slow laps does not mean squat. 30 mph delta impact is 40 Gs or so. You would look real stupid getting you neck snapped after purchasing 3 sets of belts, 2 helments and one H&N.
Well said Kurt, I agree 100%, and apparently well taken!
Dell!
Old 12-06-2007 | 08:24 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Every once in a while we need our fellow track brothers to bitch slap up back into shape when what we do has no rational answer.

Now that I really have time to think about it, WTF was I thinking NOT having anchors installed on ALL my helmets. The HANS does nothing for you in the event of an emergency if it's sitting in the trailer
Old 12-06-2007 | 09:36 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

A forehead slapper only counts if someone saw you. I did a DE lap without my helmet on. I normaly put it and the other in car gear in the pass seat before I get out of the car. I hopped out to do something and set the head hut on the trailer fender. Got busy tinkering with something and missed all the next Black run group calls but the 1 min one. Jumped in the car and rolled out to grid only to stop and discuss something with someone. By the time I got to grid they had rolled them out and I tucked right in at the back of the rolling line. As I hit the gas at pit out my first though was "Boy the car sure is louder than normal, WTF did I loose a header gasket? Then a little 3 watt light bulb over my head flickered on dimly. Doh! I don't have my helmet on!" I then looked to my right and into the very empty pass seat. Double Doh! I tried to suck my head into my chest and scrunch down in the seat as far as I could as I beat feet for pit out 3/4 the way around the the track. Made it in unnoticed.
Old 12-06-2007 | 10:18 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Great story Kurt. That definitely calls for a double-doh!
Old 12-06-2007 | 09:40 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Great story Kurt. That definitely calls for a double-doh!
I wish i had a good story, but I am new to the game. My DE's are just Grip it and rip it. Give me your thoughts on a hans where to by and what is fair to pay. I may have to get my bell helmet drilled or by a new helmet which I don't want to do. ??
Old 12-06-2007 | 09:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I bought mine through Apex Perf a few onths back when a group buy was organized. I think we got something like 15% off since we had so many takers. They even installed the anchors for free in the helmet. Just about everybody is selling at retail and IIRC there is a HANS price increase coming soon. There was a thread on that recently.
Old 12-06-2007 | 10:23 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Never heard of them before, look well made though. As for the Schroth's, I got the HANs specific because I never run without it. The shoulder belts are fine and I can sock them down nice and tight. What I don't like are the lap belts and maybe it's just me but I can't ever seem to get them really tight (I pull UP to tighten). My Deist, on the other hand, I can cut the blood flow off in my leg with! (they pull down, away from the lock). Is it something i'm doing wrong? I know the Deist belt material is a LOT more pliable also..
Do you have a 2" or 3" lap belt? The 2" ones are MUCH easier to tighten, and safer to boot. One thing that helps is while pulling up on the loose/tightening end, use a hand to push the lap belt down in between your hips and seat.

A forehead slapper only counts if someone saw you. I did a DE lap without my helmet on. I normaly put it and the other in car gear in the pass seat before I get out of the car. I hopped out to do something and set the head hut on the trailer fender. Got busy tinkering with something and missed all the next Black run group calls but the 1 min one. Jumped in the car and rolled out to grid only to stop and discuss something with someone. By the time I got to grid they had rolled them out and I tucked right in at the back of the rolling line. As I hit the gas at pit out my first though was "Boy the car sure is louder than normal, WTF did I loose a header gasket? Then a little 3 watt light bulb over my head flickered on dimly. Doh! I don't have my helmet on!" I then looked to my right and into the very empty pass seat. Double Doh! I tried to suck my head into my chest and scrunch down in the seat as far as I could as I beat feet for pit out 3/4 the way around the the track. Made it in unnoticed.
I did a similar thing once, but I never made it onto pit-out because luckily the grid person stopped me. I was so embarrassed I just about wanted to go home.
Originally Posted by LVDell
. Just about everybody is selling at retail and IIRC there is a HANS price increase coming soon. There was a thread on that recently.
They are also going to release a cheaper entry model(~$700 IIRC).
Old 12-07-2007 | 09:30 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I wish i had a good story, but I am new to the game. My DE's are just Grip it and rip it. Give me your thoughts on a hans where to by and what is fair to pay. I may have to get my bell helmet drilled or by a new helmet which I don't want to do. ??
Keep driving you will...My little blather or similar is common. I am just dumb enough to share.

Drilling two little holes in a helmet is no big thing. Drilling a tire wall or armco is. Drive long enough and you will likely get the chance to do both. Smart drovers do them in the right order.
Old 12-07-2007 | 10:36 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Kurt could not sneak by anywhere in his car -- he may have got by because the pit team were seeking shelter.
Old 12-07-2007 | 12:48 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Herod
Kurt could not sneak by anywhere in his car -- he may have got by because the pit team were seeking shelter.
Come on how much noise can a 1700 CC pushrod make?

If you can't make it fast, make it loud. I will keep the J pipe valve shut untill past Grid in the future.
Old 12-07-2007 | 01:32 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Come on how much noise can a 1700 CC pushrod make?

If you can't make it fast, make it loud. I will keep the J pipe valve shut untill past Grid in the future.
Aw JEEEEEZ...

Yur not one of those Compensators, are ya?

I'm shattered....
Old 12-07-2007 | 01:38 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by gbaker
3. With the ratchet on the lap belt it will not loosen, ever. This why it is so popular for aerobatics, off road racing, off shore boat racing, monster truck and dirt circle track racing--and crash testing.
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
Can you get that little rachet thing to adapt to other harnesses? It seems like a great idea.
Old 12-07-2007 | 01:49 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan Herod
Can you get that little rachet thing to adapt to other harnesses? It seems like a great idea.
I agree Alan, it is the cat's meow. I just wish they would put it on the shoulder belts for crash testing. That would take all the belt variables out of the equation.

IIRC, Hooker is the only mfgr with this feature, but I don't know why. Perhaps it is patented.
Old 12-07-2007 | 08:10 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Aw JEEEEEZ...

Yur not one of those Compensators, are ya?

I'm shattered....
Yes i am a compensator. A 1969 912 is a negative compensation car for the guy nicknamed tripod. The motor has a simple Bursh header and J pipe. I guess the wine and cheese crowd has never heard a open pipe on a intake and exhaust tuned old school motor.
Old 12-07-2007 | 08:23 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes i am a compensator. A 1969 912 is a negative compensation car for the guy nicknamed tripod. The motor has a simple Bursh header and J pipe. I guess the wine and cheese crowd has never heard a open pipe on a intake and exhaust tuned old school motor.
I have....on my '67 912 back in the day. Then I moved on to one of those great, big 2.0L 911s.....and I had no idea the short wheelbase cars were so difficult to drive until the legend grew 25-30 years later!

Quick Reply: Racing belt question