Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has set up their helmet for a Head-n-Neck Restraint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007 | 09:14 PM
Ranger
Advanced

Default Who has set up their helmet for a Head-n-Neck Restraint?

I read all the scare-mongering, figured that if I broke my neck my wife would have my ***, and bought an R3. But getting the D-rings on my helmet might be a problem. You guys that have HNR's that connect to the helmet, did any of you have nonremovable helmet padding? If so, how did you screw these things into your helmet if you couldn't remove the padding?

I have a Arai GP-4K and near as I can tell the only padding that removes is the cheek pieces.
Old 12-04-2007 | 09:24 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It is very easy. First glue the round "nut" to the washer using crazy glue gel to keep it from sliding around when you install it. Then carefully work a narrow putty knife up about 2" between the shell and the padding only where you drilled the mounting holes. Slide the nut/washer into the gap and screw in the D ring. Voila!

If you are really ****, you could use some hot glue to refasten the little bit of padding.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-04-2007 | 10:27 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
It is very easy. First glue the round "nut" to the washer using crazy glue gel to keep it from sliding around when you install it. Then carefully work a narrow putty knife up about 2" between the shell and the padding only where you drilled the mounting holes. Slide the nut/washer into the gap and screw in the D ring. Voila!

If you are really ****, you could use some hot glue to refasten the little bit of padding.
+1 on everything. Would be really tough to do without the superglue trick as you can't really easily get your fingers in there to hold the nut in the right position relative to the washer and the drilled hole.
And yes, I even used the hot glue gun to get the padding refastened to the inside shell.
Old 12-04-2007 | 10:28 PM
Geo
Race Director

Well, I'll let y'all in on a little secret. I bought my HANS at Hubbard-Downing when I was in Atlanta and had them install the anchors. They use a really thin metal strip (not unlike a putty knife blade) that has been notched to hold the nut (like an open end wrench or spanner for our friends across the pond). They put the nut in the notch and slide everything into place. Quite slick I thought.
Old 12-04-2007 | 10:41 PM
Ranger
Advanced

Thanks guys. I was under the misunderstanding that many helmets have removable padding. Thanks to your comments I just kinda fought the &^%($!!! fasteners into submission.
Old 12-05-2007 | 08:51 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

The HANS comes with the thin wrench and step by step instructions. They even give you a nifty HANS branded ballpoint pen.
Old 12-05-2007 | 08:58 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ranger
Thanks guys. I was under the misunderstanding that many helmets have removable padding....
They used to, and most still do around the mandible. I believe the main padding is heat bonded to the shell making them nearly impossible to remove.

Of course, you could always use a product that did not require a helmet connection...
Old 12-05-2007 | 10:21 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Like many, I just out-cussed the little darlings

I had to move my Hans back and forth between helmets at CMP as only 1 helmet was wired for a radio.
Note to self, GET EXTRA HARDWARE
Old 12-05-2007 | 10:26 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

"Heat bonded" = $5 glue gun to glue padding back after loosening it with a butter knife from kitchen drawer. I bet the wife has a glue gun and she might let you use it if she does not see you using the butter knife. You can lightly heat glue the nut to a regular open end wrench if you H&N does not come with one. pops right off after install
Old 12-05-2007 | 10:59 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

As Kurt alluded to above, ALL helmet padding is removable. They got it in there when they made the damn thing, DIDN'T THEY ? Butter knife/hacksaw blade/screw-driver/etc. will free the padding from the glue, and then just use a hot-glue gun to put it all back in place.

You might need four hands to do it, but it's simple to do (especially if you have four hands).
Old 12-05-2007 | 12:21 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Purchased from Apex racing and they did the install for me.
Old 12-05-2007 | 03:17 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Simple install and not worth any worries. If you have enough aptitude to torque your wheels, you can install a Hans devise.

Of course, measure three times before drilling.
Old 12-05-2007 | 03:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ranger
I read all the scare-mongering, figured that if I broke my neck my wife would have my ***, and bought an R3..
If I might ask, what 'scare-mongering' are you referring to?

Quick Reply: Who has set up their helmet for a Head-n-Neck Restraint?