Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Anyone have a plasma/LCD in their trailer

Does anyone have a plasma or LCD TV mounted in their trailer?
Any experiences with longevity/reliability with vibration?

Looking to mount one in my trailer for my son's karting (Cup car hasn't even seen the insides of the trailer in almost 2 years now......) for reviewing his Mychron data on something bigger than a laptop screen.
This should make it easier for us to get into arguments on whether it's the driver or the mechanic....his mother always says it's the mechanic.

And yes, of course XBOX and Playstation will find a way to be connected to it, I'm sure. Never enough kids in the trailer while you're trying to wrench on a kart.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

The only help I can add is that mom is right.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:36 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My codriver at my last race had 2 in his trailer. 48 foot gooseneck where the front half is living quarters. He ran the entire Cooper F2000 series and had to drive all over the country. They both work just fine and he's never had any problem that I know of. They are on the wall mounts that allow the TV to be swung out from the wall and face either direction but then fold flat against the wall when not in use.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Exactly what I had on the list of winter refurbishing +. The things are so cheap now.

How did we ever survive at a track when we pitched a tent next to the car we drove there and were lucky if there were TWO portajohns?
Old 11-23-2007, 08:52 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Lewis, I think it is a great idea for you and C.J. to have more bonding experiences, but you have got to take the Cup Car out more often.....

How about next year? We will run together in Black....(hopefully)
Old 11-23-2007, 10:04 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Dunlop Motorsports transport rig has a plasma on the outside, very cool.

On Mobile Command Centers I did some contract design work for, we placed 42" monitors behind glass on the outside for holding large meetings/debriefings.

A friend of ours did up his small tag trailer for entertaining in the paddock, came out nice...especially when there is a race on, but I would have used a bigger tv

Old 11-23-2007, 10:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Brian P
The only help I can add is that mom is right.
I keep asking to be fired (I could use the rest), but it never seems to happen.
And yes, she's always right.....and you can always hear her the loudest when she comes to the track to make sure I'm doing a good job for her son.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by race911
Exactly what I had on the list of winter refurbishing +. The things are so cheap now.
If the prices continue to drop, the wall mounts are going to cost more than the TV's.
There was a 42" plasma for $700 this morning at one of the 'Black Friday' sales.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Lewis, I think it is a great idea for you and C.J. to have more bonding experiences, but you have got to take the Cup Car out more often.....
I'm ashamed to say that the next time the Euro Cup actually rolls under engine power will be in 4 years when my son turns 18....and he'll be driving it.
With the plans to have him drive in the Indy Racing League Stars of Karting series (yes, where the big dogs drive...), + club racing + Rotax Grand Nationals + practice and test days, there's zero time left for me. But hey, he's only a kid once, so why not.

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
How about next year? We will run together in Black....(hopefully)
I'm pretty sure they'll put me back in Green after such a long hiatus. However, it would be pretty funny to see a Cup car in Green.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:03 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

I'm pretty sure they'll put me back in Green after such a long hiatus. However, it would be pretty funny to see a Cup car in Green.
No way.....

Once in Black, always in Black, especially with a Cup Car.....
Old 11-24-2007, 07:48 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Yeah, but you can be a kid for your whole life and still have a happy childhood!!! You know.....fun for kids of all ages!!!!
Old 11-24-2007, 09:46 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I'm ashamed to say that the next time the Euro Cup actually rolls under engine power will be in 4 years when my son turns 18....and he'll be driving it.
With the plans to have him drive in the Indy Racing League Stars of Karting series (yes, where the big dogs drive...), + club racing + Rotax Grand Nationals + practice and test days, there's zero time left for me. But hey, he's only a kid once, so why not.
If he's that good it is hard to hold him back.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
If he's that good it is hard to hold him back.

The only thing holding him back has been having me as his tuner/mechanic/driving coach.......that and about $150K/year to do the karting that he really wants to do (don't let anyone ever tell you that karting is a hobby or karts are toys....my wife used to complain about the Cup car; she now looks back with fond memories of those days and expenses).

He is ridiculously fast in the rain, if he had his choice he'd race in the rain everytime out. He actually has no idea how quickly he can recover/maintain control of his kart; to him it's just driving. It's fun to watch his hands, pretty damned fast.

He's a good kid, high honors in school, polite, curteous, never in trouble, so I don't mind doing it. It's been fun getting to this level by ourselves; we were just too stupid to know we shouldn't even be trying.

Now, if I can just get his mother to stop buying pictures of him from every event and having them framed......there aren't enough walls left in the house.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:22 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
If the prices continue to drop, the wall mounts are going to cost more than the TV's.
There was a 42" plasma for $700 this morning at one of the 'Black Friday' sales.
Guys, after 20years in the electronics industry as an engineer, retail designer, service manager............. I can assure that there are huge differences in the performance and reliability of flat panel plasma/lcd tvs-monitors. You can certainly buy a tv that happens to be flat that costs under 1K, but if you expecting it to hold up, then your going to be disappionted and out the initial "cheap" investment.

When you compare a set of BBS rims to a set of turbo twist copies made in China, do you feel your saving $$$$ ??
Old 11-24-2007, 10:43 PM
frayed
Race Car

Good stuff ltc. I'm hoping my son (4 y/o) takes a shine to motorsports. He's wicked on his trike.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a plasma/LCD in their trailer