Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 11:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Good stuff ltc. I'm hoping my son (4 y/o) takes a shine to motorsports. He's wicked on his trike.
50cc Kid Karts, ages 5-8
Rotax MicroMax, ages 7-10.
http://floridawintertour.com/news/article.php?id=78

If you live in CA or FL, PLENTY of racing opportunities.

I love watching the 5-8 year olds on track. I wish I had been able to get my son involved at that age.

Last edited by ltc; 11-26-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: corrected MicroMax age/updated
Old 11-24-2007, 11:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by frayed
Good stuff ltc. I'm hoping my son (4 y/o) takes a shine to motorsports. He's wicked on his trike.
BTW, given the live axle used in all karts, in order to turn, you HAVE to lift/unload the inside rear wheel....the factory guys from Italy always say you drive a kart like a tricycle, always on 3 wheels.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:48 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
50cc Kid Karts, ages 5-8
Rotax MicroMax, ages 5-8.

If you live in CA or FL, PLENTY of racing opportunities.

I love watching the 5-8 year olds on track. I wish I had been able to get my son involved at that age.

We're a little late to the party, but Santa will be bringing a Kid Kart for my 6 yo (who will be 7 by the time next season starts). Because she also is interested, there's a Cadet that's going to be stuffed into the sleigh for the 8 yo (will be 9 next season).

Wish me luck and a lottery win.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DrJupeman

We're a little late to the party, but Santa will be bringing a Kid Kart for my 6 yo (who will be 7 by the time next season starts). Because she also is interested, there's a Cadet that's going to be stuffed into the sleigh for the 8 yo (will be 9 next season).

Wish me luck and a lottery win.
Congratulations.
If I can be of any help (parts, online suppliers, engine guys, setups, track info, events), don't hesitate to PM or email.

I would also consider the Leatt neck brace (Moto GPX) for karting. I can't imagine my son going back to a foam collar.

Lottery issues aside, all nighters repairing/working on a kart, getting brake cleaner into open cuts.....the memories are priceless.
I remember not knowing whether to laugh or cry when my son won his first race (pumping his fists like Schumacher as he took the checkers), after that there was no holding him back. My wife made me buy new bodywork for his Cadet kart back when we sold it...she kept his original (race winning) bodywork, sort of like baby shoes.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:44 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

The Cal State Championships are this weekend, there is a group from our home track in NY out there. Reports of 50 kart fields in 50cc Kid Kart class !

After that, its the www.floridawintertour.com ..... I miss time off.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:50 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,266 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

The only thing holding him back has been having me as his tuner/mechanic/driving coach.......that and about $150K/year to do the karting that he really wants to do (don't let anyone ever tell you that karting is a hobby or karts are toys....my wife used to complain about the Cup car; she now looks back with fond memories of those days and expenses).

He is ridiculously fast in the rain, if he had his choice he'd race in the rain everytime out. He actually has no idea how quickly he can recover/maintain control of his kart; to him it's just driving. It's fun to watch his hands, pretty damned fast.

He's a good kid, high honors in school, polite, curteous, never in trouble, so I don't mind doing it. It's been fun getting to this level by ourselves; we were just too stupid to know we shouldn't even be trying.

Now, if I can just get his mother to stop buying pictures of him from every event and having them framed......there aren't enough walls left in the house.
I've seen guys with flat screens just like the one pictured above in the Dunlop Motorsports trailer. Works real well and keeps the kids calm in the shade between runs.

Just curious, why did you pick Rotax after the Comer 80? We've got 1 more year before moving up and I'm seriously considering the Rotax Jr. as a sealed engine will elimiate one factor of having your competition with huge budgets able to buy the best engines. Looking over and having your competition having 6 engines on a table with 4 chassis compared to your 2 engines and one chasiis is quite humbling.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:00 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Cal State Championships

Originally Posted by ltc

The Cal State Championships are this weekend, there is a group from our home track in NY out there. Reports of 50 kart fields in 50cc Kid Kart class !

After that, its the www.floridawintertour.com ..... I miss time off.
We were at Perris practicing for the Championships, but the practices before this weekend were run very poorly. A newbie sent his kid kart rookie out on track with the 80s, HPVs, and some Rotax karts. Before this kid did a full lap, my daughter was coming around the sweeper and the kid drifted wide when she was passing, touching wheels sending my daughter into the wall. Hurt kart and her back. We had to miss it.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:16 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, thanks ltc. I'm in Austin, TX. I plan to take my daughter (6) to the kart track and mess around a bit. Problem is, she's more of a tech than a driver. Loves fixing/building stuff. My son (4) is a drover. Heh.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by M3Pete
Just curious, why did you pick Rotax after the Comer 80? We've got 1 more year before moving up and I'm seriously considering the Rotax Jr. as a sealed engine will elimiate one factor of having your competition with huge budgets able to buy the best engines. Looking over and having your competition having 6 engines on a table with 4 chassis compared to your 2 engines and one chasiis is quite humbling.

Skipped MiniMax and went right to Jr Rotax from Cadet simply due to his age at the time and his driving ability. He barely fit the full size chassis, even with the seat moved all the way forward and with pedal extentions and with 45# of lead in the seat, but as he grew, he did get fast.

I really enjoy the sealed Rotax engine concept, 50 hours between rebuilds, pretty even engines, it comes down to move driver and setup than $$ engines.
Rotax is pretty well reprented in our area, and my son likes it a lot more than Yamaha (they sound funny running around on the clutch).

We'll see how he likes JICA and running Stars.......
Old 11-26-2007, 07:33 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

Skipped MiniMax and went right to Jr Rotax from Cadet simply due to his age at the time and his driving ability. He barely fit the full size chassis, even with the seat moved all the way forward and with pedal extentions and with 45# of lead in the seat, but as he grew, he did get fast.

I really enjoy the sealed Rotax engine concept, 50 hours between rebuilds, pretty even engines, it comes down to move driver and setup than $$ engines.
Rotax is pretty well reprented in our area, and my son likes it a lot more than Yamaha (they sound funny running around on the clutch).

We'll see how he likes JICA and running Stars.......
I get confused with all the different series. Is JICA and Stars running the same chassis and engines as Jr. Rotax?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:08 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I get confused with all the different series. Is JICA and Stars running the same chassis and engines as Jr. Rotax?

The only 12-15 yr old class in Stars is JICA. JICA motors are blueprinted, need an external starter, notoriously high strung air cooled 2 needle carb motors that turn lots of RPM's and you need to have 3, practice, qual and race motor, which are rebuilt after each race weekend.
Jr Rotax is a sealed motor, 14K rpm rev limiter, water/radiator cooled, no needles on the carb, onboard electric starter/battery, rebuilt every 50 hours (maybe piston ring at 25 hours) .....
The chassis is the same, CIK homologated.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:21 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc

The only 12-15 yr old class in Stars is JICA. JICA motors are blueprinted, need an external starter, notoriously high strung air cooled 2 needle carb motors that turn lots of RPM's and you need to have 3, practice, qual and race motor, which are rebuilt after each race weekend.
Jr Rotax is a sealed motor, 14K rpm rev limiter, water/radiator cooled, no needles on the carb, onboard electric starter/battery, rebuilt every 50 hours (maybe piston ring at 25 hours) .....
The chassis is the same, CIK homologated.
I'm leaning on going to the Jr. Rotax. I used to race in the Rotax Masters Series and have to keep reminding myself why I went to it in the first place. Can't keep chasing your tail around to try to beat the guys with the 150k yearly budgets
Old 11-26-2007, 11:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I'm leaning on going to the Jr. Rotax. I used to race in the Rotax Masters Series and have to keep reminding myself why I went to it in the first place. Can't keep chasing your tail around to try to beat the guys with the 150k yearly budgets
Some of them I can probably compete with and maybe even beat.

It's when you get into the $500K-$1M kid karting budget, drivng 4-5 days/week, racing every weekend, home schooling, etc..... that it's time for
Old 11-26-2007, 11:32 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Some of them I can probably compete with and maybe even beat.

It's when you get into the $500K-$1M kid karting budget, drivng 4-5 days/week, racing every weekend, home schooling, etc..... that it's time for
It's the nature of motorsport and it really shouldn't be a surprise. We are the Minardis of the grid. It's hard to compete with the McLaren and Ferrari's of the karting world. When you see 18 wheel rigs pull up to our 12'X6' trailer and you overhear these kids talk about their weeks where they are at the track as much as they can be and are home schooled, etc. it's hard to compete with that. Thankfully, she's got straight A's in honors class and wants to go to the best college she can get into. She loves the sport and believes when she's out there, she's the best driver on the course. We're having fun. It's dad that's a little more competitive. You've probably swayed me over to the Rotax side again. Now I have to see about the chassis. CRG or Birel?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:58 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You've probably swayed me over to the Rotax side again. Now I have to see about the chassis. CRG or Birel?
Usual answer: whichever chassis is best supported at your local track/local kart shop.
FWIW, we ran a CRG in Cadet, an Arrow AX9 for 2 years of Jr Rotax and now we're on a pair of Maranello RS7 chassis (one for Nationals and one for club).
Birels are very big out in CA, as are the CRG's.....of course the $ to Euro isn't helping much these days.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a plasma/LCD in their trailer