Sponsored by:

FAST Helmet Blower Ducting and G class

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Chulo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAST Helmet Blower Ducting and G class

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get air to my new FAST helmet blower, and have seen many plexiglass rear windows with NACA ducts on them. This seems like a great solution, but is it legal for D prepared (the new G prepared class)? If so, great. If not, what other solutions are out there for sufficient air flow to the unit?
Old 11-20-2007, 03:25 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

You must keep the stock qtr windows. With a helmet blower just have the intake inside the interior of the vehicle. Make sure you use a filter to help with dust.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen the intake hose mounted abouve the main rollbar hoop. The inlet is positioned right where the pass window would be open.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by flatsics
You must keep the stock qtr windows. With a helmet blower just have the intake inside the interior of the vehicle. Make sure you use a filter to help with dust.
I thought so. So a NACA duct will get enough air installed in the car?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:30 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be careful which helmet you choose. I had a duct set in the bottom of the helmet that works fine (blows on my face). I recently got a duct entering the top of the helmet (Top Force) and I haven't figured out how to make it work. The port on top of the helmet basically hits the top of the roof. I've got a 964 w/all the insulation removed so it's just the metal and it still rubs. Plus I can't exit the vehicle with the helmet on as the port makes the helmet longer and won't fit through the side window area.
You may want to check this if you decide on the Top force type helmet. I've gone back the the other style.
Anybody want a top force helmet used 2 days??
Old 11-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by pat056
Just be careful which helmet you choose. I had a duct set in the bottom of the helmet that works fine (blows on my face). I recently got a duct entering the top of the helmet (Top Force) and I haven't figured out how to make it work. The port on top of the helmet basically hits the top of the roof. I've got a 964 w/all the insulation removed so it's just the metal and it still rubs. Plus I can't exit the vehicle with the helmet on as the port makes the helmet longer and won't fit through the side window area.
You may want to check this if you decide on the Top force type helmet. I've gone back the the other style.
Anybody want a top force helmet used 2 days??
I spoke with the guys at FAST, as well as some others that have helmet blowers, and not one person is happy with the top mount. I've got maybe an inch of clearance above my helmet in my 964, so a top mount would never work. The FAST guys even state that the side mounts cool better, FWIW.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:09 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

I would have to agree with them on the cooling issue. Cool air on my face feels better tham on top of my head. And if you use a balaclava, you won't even feel the air on top of your head...or at least I don't!
Old 11-20-2007, 11:28 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chulo
I spoke with the guys at FAST, as well as some others that have helmet blowers, and not one person is happy with the top mount. I've got maybe an inch of clearance above my helmet in my 964, so a top mount would never work. The FAST guys even state that the side mounts cool better, FWIW.
How well do the side mounts work with containment seats? Any clearance issues with the head bolsters?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by shiners780
How well do the side mounts work with containment seats? Any clearance issues with the head bolsters?
I don't have a containment seat, but have heard that some guys need to add an extra piece of plumbing to make it work, but it works.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:55 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Anyone know where to get the helmets (or kits) that the Autralian SuperCars use? They're the ones that have the inlet right in front. Apparently cools far better,
Old 11-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Chulo
Racer

Anyone have pics of their FAST system installed? I'm trying to get some ideas as to where the tubing should go. Ideally, pics without the use of side plexi windows.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:04 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one mounted in my driver's side window just pointing at me and it moves a ton of air. If you want to hook a hose up to it, just mount it on the passenger side.
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2007, 08:39 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recall someone saying remove the clock and bring fresh air in through that opening from you front vent.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:50 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Smart Racing sells the duct kit to run fresh air into the clock hole
Old 11-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts

On the class question. I downloaded the new adopted rules PDF and it ends with the D/G cars. Under the 07 rules my car is an E car, so does that mean it's now an H car?

Quick Reply: FAST Helmet Blower Ducting and G class