Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,213 Likes on 594 Posts

It's the curse of the Gerbil Raper!
Old 11-19-2007, 11:23 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for posting the vids guys. I can't wait to run up there.
Where did you stay? Are there hotels in the area? Food, etc.?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Quick!
That seemed like a pretty tight line all the way around 13 (looks like you stayed right after the trackout on 12). Did that have something to do with how your car could take that hill, or was that just your racing line? I tended to go down the middle after trackout at 12 and hit only the late apex of 13.
I found there was a lot of grip at/near the apex curbing so I hugged it for a little while, it didn't cause me to run out of track out room either. As for entering: after tracking all the way out of 12 and then having to stand on the brakes(early, to allow me to huge the curbing a little bit) for 13, there was very little time to get left.

But with it being such a new track I don't think anyone knows the best line yet, but we all have our opinions on it though.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Great track. Sadly, it ate my differential in grand fashion yesterday, with Greg Smith in my right seat.

I guess 96,000 miles on the original diff is a lot.

Nice to see so many of you!
I was actually thinking earlier on in the day how that was still your original diff(knock on wood). With that much track duty I think they just eventually just let go, face it, that diff has seen a lot of track time/abuse.

Factory LSD. It puked all over the back opf my car + filled toe cabin with nasty smoke (a real surprise since the diff is behind the seats). I coasted back to the pits, but could not drive the car on the trailer. Greg's dad + some other guys were kind enough to help.

I also figured out why I had so much ****ing understeer all weekend, no matter what I did: front sway was on full stiff. I realized this as I was tying the car down on the trailer. Wish I had figured this out on FRIDAY....
That smoke is nasty, I was trying to stick my head out of the passenger window so I could breathe. One thing I noticed as we left the pits that session was a natural gas smell, I just figured it was something in the air outside, but maybe it was your diff.

Excuses, excuses... For me when it comes to suspension tuning, it's "Set it, and forget it".
Old 11-19-2007, 12:13 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great track. Sadly, it ate my differential in grand fashion yesterday, with Greg Smith in my right seat.

I guess 96,000 miles on the original diff is a lot.

Nice to see so many of you!
Bummer Dave. My car kinda croaked at the end too. Shifting got more and more difficult and eventually caused me to spin in Turn 11 during my 4th session on Sunday because I just couldn't get the car downshifted in time and I turned in too late and too hard. Around it came. I called it a weekend after that. I'm pretty sure it's worn bushings in the linkage.

Great to see all you guys too. Can't wait for TWS CW in 2 weeks.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:23 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deep_uv
...My car kinda croaked at the end too. Shifting got more and more difficult and eventually caused me to spin in Turn 11 during my 4th session on Sunday because I just couldn't get the car downshifted in time and I turned in too late and too hard. Around it came. ...
Yeah, yeah. Blame the spin on the hardware.

Speaking of blaming hardware, I lost the third session on Sunday because my front (street) pads were giving up the ghost. I didn't even make it through the warm up lap before deciding that discretion is the better part of valor and pitting in first time around. A visit to PST and $300 odd later with a new set of PFC 01's in the front and the 4th session was great. Nothing like getting confidence back in your brakes. I didn't realize how much I'd been easing up on the pace as the brakes gradually went south in the first couple of sessions earlier.

I'm slowly but surely turning the wife's grocery getter BMW into a track car. She won't suspect a thing...
Old 11-19-2007, 12:37 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

But with it being such a new track I don't think anyone knows the best line yet, but we all have our opinions on it though.
I agree. I'm still experimenting. I did finally get some clear air yesterday in the last session. Had three laps within a tenth (54.8/54.9/54.8). Once they get the braking zones smoothed into 7 & 9, with more braking point/line tinkering & w/good race rubber, I bet we'll see high 40s in the 7 cups & maybe even the 6s.

PS: Good meeting you yesterday at the pumps.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:38 PM
TR6
Drifting

I was VERY luck to make it back to the pits...
Which triggers a probably dumb question on my part... If you have a mechanical failure and cannot make it to the pits (or even run out of gas), is it best to coast off the edge of the track into the dirt at a safe spot (not in a turn or edge of track out) so you can just sit out the rest of the session without ending it early for everyone else? Then they can tow you in after the session is over? I've thought about this before and that's what I was thinking I'd try to do. The only concern I had with that was dry grass under the car off the track surface catching on fire (which was not a problem at ECR this weekend!).
Old 11-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
II was actually thinking earlier on in the day how that was still your original diff(knock on wood). With that much track duty I think they just eventually just let go, face it, that diff has seen a lot of track time/abuse.

That smoke is nasty, I was trying to stick my head out of the passenger window so I could breathe. One thing I noticed as we left the pits that session was a natural gas smell, I just figured it was something in the air outside, but maybe it was your diff.

Excuses, excuses... For me when it comes to suspension tuning, it's "Set it, and forget it".

Yeah, that smell must have been the diff beginning its suicide ritual.

Not excuses, but you'll recall how much understeer I had in 6, 11/12, 13, and 14/15....before it grenaded.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:36 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Dave,
Sorry to here about your diff On the positive side though, it is the end of the season & you have had a good run. You drive the crap out of that thing! It's amazing it's lasted this long
Old 11-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
Dave,
Sorry to here about your diff On the positive side though, it is the end of the season & you have had a good run. You drive the crap out of that thing! It's amazing it's lasted this long
Thanks. Yeah, after it blew, lots of folks were amazed that it lasted 96,xxx miles, probably 15,000-20,000 of which are on the track (I am guessing). I am supposed ot instruct at TWS in 2 weeks--let's see if I can get it fixed by then!

I hope your dad had fun!!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:13 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

He had a ball! You guys did a great job & he really enjoyed Mark as an instructor. I told him he'd be better off w/o me instructing him. Too close to home.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:37 PM
cosmosm3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Yeah, after it blew, lots of folks were amazed that it lasted 96,xxx miles, probably 15,000-20,000 of which are on the track (I am guessing). I am supposed ot instruct at TWS in 2 weeks--let's see if I can get it fixed by then!

Dave,

Saw your car at SoulSpeed with the rear covered in a patina of diff fluid. What gear ratio are you going to replace it with or are you staying stock?

Dat
Hook 'Em!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Jay, I'm happy to hear that!

Dat, I am debating between 3.73 (better for MSR but may run out of 5th gear on TWS' straight) or 3.46 (not as good at MSR but great at TWS).

I am leaning towards the 3.46.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:35 PM
TR6
Drifting

Jay, I'm happy to hear that!

Dat, I am debating between 3.73 (better for MSR but may run out of 5th gear on TWS' straight) or 3.46 (not as good at MSR but great at TWS).

I have the 3.73 in my M Coupe and wish I had the 3.46. With a 3.73, you'll find you cannot use 2nd gear in a lot of places you'd like to without hitting the rev limiter well before you're out of the turn. Even at MSR, its a problem (wagon wheel, horseshoe, etc). And yeah, I think in 5th with the 3.73, you'd top out around 130 or so. I guess I'll find out Dec 1 at TWS if I'm brave enough....

By the way, thanks for introducing me to Stuart. It was an eye opener getting a ride with him in his M Coupe. Man, he can fly in that thing. It also made me realize what a marshmallow rear suspension I've got compared to his.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:18 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

3.73 is fine at TWS, no rpm issues FYI. 3.64 is fine at TWS also. 3.91 is perfect for MSR.

Sadly, i've run all 3 at different times.

Quick Reply: Eagle Canyon Raceway Video