Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 stock class tire rule

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007 | 02:09 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Default 2008 stock class tire rule

Why was the rule--No autocross spec tires--deleted?
I really don't understand why this would have been changed.
I guess it's not enough to have to buy new Hoosiers every race--now we have to compete with people running A6s for qualifying, and maybe races. Were people already running A6s?
I think this is a move in the wrong direction. I would prefer a spec tire. Basically the Hoosier is our spec tire, so why not run a tire that lasts a few races? I guess I just hate buying tires. I don't mind spending money on my car to make it better--that stuff I get to keep. The tires just end up in a pile behind the Hoosier trailer. It's just money--screw it.
Old 11-17-2007 | 09:25 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Michelin looked at being the spec tire but they couldn't supply all of the sizes. If they can't who can? I think the idea of a spec tire, although a great one, is near impossible to execute.

Although I haven't walked the paddock and checked, I've heard lots of stories of people using A6's for qualifying.
Old 11-17-2007 | 09:32 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisp
Although I haven't walked the paddock and checked, I've heard lots of stories of people using A6's for qualifying.
Would the A6's melt after one qualifying session? If not, how many sessions are they good for?
Old 11-17-2007 | 11:15 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

don't think in sessions. think in laps.
Old 11-17-2007 | 11:34 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

I know the A6s are used at the SCCA Runoffs for races.
I think people have been using the A6 in PCA.
I think the rule was changed because it is hard to check what tires people are using for qualifying.
I guess the people that like to cheat will now have to use a disguised hand grooved slick of some type to have an advantage.
Old 11-17-2007 | 11:34 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisp
don't think in sessions. think in laps.
Understood. I'm picturing a session on the autocross tires means the one warmup lap and then the hot lap and you come in. Even still, can you do this more than once?
Old 11-17-2007 | 12:17 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I've not run them but I would imagine that's how it needs to be done. I don't know how many hot laps they will take or how many heat cycles. All I know is I can't afford to run a qualifying tire.
Old 11-17-2007 | 12:58 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I can see it now. Put on my Michelin slicks, jack the car up and roll the wheels while my buddy holds a soldering iron with a round tip to melt two "DOT grooves" into them, then paint over the Michelin logo and stencil "Hoosier" on them.. That could work!
Old 11-17-2007 | 01:12 PM
orcadigital
Intermediate

Its a tough arguement and a slippery slope. I personally cant afford Hoosiers in any form, and i know my Victoracers arent as fast, but is it unfair that i run the Kumhos while others run Hoosiers?

I was under the impression that tires were free with a DOT spec and a certain treadwear rating (dont remember the number off hand).

The only person i know who almost ran autocross Hoosiers, ordered them from tire rack, and realized at the track that they werent the R compound. From what i have heard, those autox tires will be hard pressed to last 3 full laps at Pueblo (2.2 mile track), and this from the Hoosier guys there doing mount and balance.

Our cars only go as fast as our budgets allow, and then we try to make up for those lacks with seat of the pants skills.

Now if only Kumho hadnt discountinued my tire size in the Victos...

Grant
Old 11-17-2007 | 02:03 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I can see it now. Put on my Michelin slicks, jack the car up and roll the wheels while my buddy holds a soldering iron with a round tip to melt two "DOT grooves" into them, then paint over the Michelin logo and stencil "Hoosier" on them.. That could work!
Gary, I think you may be closer to the truth than you realize.
I hope I'm blowing this out of proportion.
Old 11-17-2007 | 02:19 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Is anyone really doing this? I could see grooving an MPSC for better wet weather performance (as per Michelin's brochure) but to try to hide running a slick. Until I get to within a tenth or two of my cars max performance I won't worry about who is cheating...and that'll be a while from now.
Old 11-17-2007 | 02:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsics
Gary, I think you may be closer to the truth than you realize.
I hope I'm blowing this out of proportion.
I guess there will always be those out there that never learned the old adage - "when you cheat, you're only cheating yourself ". What does a cheater in an amateur event ever win that's worth their integrity? I'll never understand that...
Old 11-25-2007 | 01:31 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

A couple thoughts...

I have run A6's very successfully at DE events when it is COLD out (think 40-50 degrees). They hold up absolutely fine. I got as many days as I do on R6's in the summer.

Hoosier is the only one with a claimed "autocross" tire, but what about the new BFG's and Kuhmo V710's? Are these A or R compound tires. The V710 is much softer than an R6, much closer to an A6, but was it allowed or not under the old rules? Now there is no debate.

Also, some of the very light cars (914's, etc.) may not be able to get the R6's or MPSC's hot enough so they may want to use A6's. I plan to buy a fresh set of A6's and a set of R6's to start off the year and depending on the weather select accordingly, this is what I did last year and it worked great. If we have a hot (warm?) day early on, maybe I will try and run the A6's and see what happens.
Old 11-25-2007 | 09:48 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

The original reason for the "no autocross spec tires allowed in PCA club racing" was that back in the dark ages of club racing there were tires being used in autocrosses that were not DOT rated. We have eliminated this one phrase from the stock tire rule, but note that any tires that are run on stock class cars or on the GT-S cars, must be DOT approved, with the notation clearly stated on the side wall.

And don't think that there aren't "qualifying tires" being used in PCA club racing. I am personally aware of two racers who have used one type of tire, shaved, to qualify, and a different make of tires to race for the last several years. Both sets of tires were DOT approved. Yes, it strikes me as a stupid waste of money but the same could be said about racing in general.....
Old 11-25-2007 | 11:32 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Once up to temperature (which is possible in most qualifying and race sessions) the R6 should be at least as fast as the A6, if not faster. I don't really like the rule change as it makes me have to think (and possibly spend) more but ultimately I doubt there will be any difference in race results unless it's a VERY cold day.

Also I think the Hoosier Wets are basically A6 tires with extra tread depth and grooves and they are allowed.

Quick Reply: 2008 stock class tire rule