Sponsored by:

Daytona Club Race Lots Of DQ's

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 02:44 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Marks
Seems to me this stopped being a gentlemen's sport when guys started showing up with tractor trailers full of cup cars or the like.
Why" Cup cars are a spec class too. I just wish they would check the spring rates....
Old 11-14-2007, 02:47 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all.

I wasn't trying to comment one way or the other on these particular DQs. I in fact know nothing personally about them.

The only point I was trying to make, mostly for those who have never club raced before, is that getting DQ'ed does not automatically equal intentional cheating.

There are many reasons why one could get DQ'ed, and not all of which mean that you are unethical.

Very interesting, though.

I would love for PCA to be able to keep cheating to a minimum. If they did, I am sure I would be at or near 1st in class all the time because the only way people can pass me otherwise is if they are low-down cheaters.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:23 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid rule...Like a 944 chip gives any edge at all! Perhaps in a flat 6 or 951 but the gain is so darn minimal a good driver could still kick *** stock over one in a chipped ECU. And for a little ribbon or plaque and if lucky a bottle of bubbly. I can see a rule in a serious race series but for weekend club racing and no money to be won is overkill. And I will also say that if it is a major deal howabout seeing some motors torndown...........there is your real issue and bet top dollar most are tweeked. Bet many have shaved heads, titanium valve parts and ported/polished!

Cheating is wrong I agree but a chip is not a big gain at all. Just for giggles make a chipped and stock class and see just how many get beat by a stock one.!!
Old 11-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why" Cup cars are a spec class too. I just wish they would check the spring rates....
No discrepect to cup cars meant. Meant to refer to any selection of high-dollar cars...
Old 11-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

When will PCA publish DQ reasons and 13's? Part of the problem, perhaps?
I'm with Matt on this one. I'd like to see that information published like SCCA does. Pick up an issue of FastTrack and and you'll see the protests/DQ/etc. and the action taken. Granted it would remove the popular sport of paddock gossiping but I think transparency is a good thing.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:10 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I was there racing in GT3s and didn't hear one story about somebody getting DQ'd for cheating. I'm sure they would have brought it up in the MANY driver meetings or I would have heard about it around the paddock.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

WooHoo, up to third. That'll double the amount of sponsorship money that I am getting.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:49 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

[QUOTE=Matt Marks;4779346]....there is an incentive to do what you have to do to win in order to justify the expenditure. QUOTE]

I have an idea..... why not just LEARN HOW TO DRIVE
Old 11-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Then there's the "well everyone else is doing it" incentive, too.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:04 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

or the "I had no idea the PO had done such a modification" reasoning
Old 11-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
WooHoo, up to third. That'll double the amount of sponsorship money that I am getting.

The other dime is now in the mail.

Random question:

On weights does PCA allow the car to be turned around and weighed in the other direction. It was an issue here a couple of years ago were a winged formula car was 2 pounds under in one direction and then had them flip it and ended up 4 pounds over due to the affect of wind on the aero.

Glad to see that impound is being proactive in some situations.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=RSRRacer;4780256]
Originally Posted by Matt Marks
....there is an incentive to do what you have to do to win in order to justify the expenditure. QUOTE]

I have an idea..... why not just LEARN HOW TO DRIVE
Who's got the time for that?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:27 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Cris Brady
I'm with Matt on this one. I'd like to see that information published like SCCA does. Pick up an issue of FastTrack and and you'll see the protests/DQ/etc. and the action taken. Granted it would remove the popular sport of paddock gossiping but I think transparency is a good thing.
If you want to see somethig like that, I'd suggest you write into bruce to let him know. PCA club racing is for the benefit of the members...but it's much easier to tune the program is the members actually voice an opinion.

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
On weights does PCA allow the car to be turned around and weighed in the other direction. It was an issue here a couple of years ago were a winged formula car was 2 pounds under in one direction and then had them flip it and ended up 4 pounds over due to the affect of wind on the aero.
A driver could certainly request that. When a car is under, we will always roll it off an re-weigh it. I just had a car at CMP that made weight exactly on the number...talk about close!

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
If someone can provide me the correct specs (# of coils, wire diameter, etc), I will measure springs with my micrometer at the next race I scrut. If there are any other suggestions on what to check, feel free to PM or email me. We do have a scope to check port/polishing, pistons, etc.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:37 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I see one notable D class car that seems to have DQ'ed. Wonder what the issue was ? Since it seems to be in all the races, my guess is it was not for weight. Hot map ? Hate to speculate, but it is so much fun.

Quick Reply: Daytona Club Race Lots Of DQ's