F*^#@ Race seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default F*^#@ Race seats

So I order a Sabelt Taurus XL to replace my Sparco Pro 2000 currently in the car. Once I get the seat and unbox it, I instantly realize it looks to be no bigger that what I have. So I take a few measurements and confirm what I thought. Not only is the seat no bigger than what I have but in fact in some spots it's smaller. Now I've paid shipping to me and must again pay shipping to return it. Plus, I really need the seat for next weekend and wanted to install over this weekend.

So now, I've gotten a hold of some size charts (could not get one for Sabelt) and it appears the Sparco Evo 3 is the biggest seat I can find.

I'm just pissed because the Sabelt seat is advertised as (one of the largest in the industry" so I assumed it was.

Now I'm concerned for seat height. My Pro 2000 is bottom mounted and the Evo 3 is a side mount only. So now I am concerned the height might be to high once installed.

My Pro 2000 is mounted to sparco sliders and I guess I could remove them however prefer to keep them but may not have any choice.

Can side mount rails be attached to the sliders for the install or will I be forced to get rid of the sliders and use only side mounts?

Buying something like this you can't fit first is a real PIA. It's not like you run to town and fit yourself and car to some race seats

Any insight is MUCH appreciated!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Mike Simard
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not familiar with your seat but in general it's a good idea to just fab your own brackets for seat mounting. There's no way a universal bracket can fit just right and it only takes basic shop tools to make brackets and they'll be right.
I'll be glad to help out with 928 seat rail dimensions if you'd like. You have seat rails that are 18" apart on the outside. You could bolt angle stock onto the top and then attatch flat plates or even the seat itself to the sides, the only height increase would be a bolt head and the angle thickness. Would a 18" envelope fit your seat? Do you have any pics of your seat?
BTW, I vote for ditching the complication and compromise of sliders.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Mike,

Thanks for your offer to help! I may just take you up on it just for the simple fact of getting the chance to meet up with you.

I have not ordered the Evo 3 seat as of yet, and the only pictures I would have would be from vendor web sites and sparco usa that really does not illustrate mounting points. If your referring to pictures of how they are mounted now, let me know and I will go take a couple pictures of how they are currently. I just boxed up the Taurus XL for return shipping today, and since it's to small for me I never even tried to install it.

Currently the Sparco Pro 2000 is mounted as follows; I have two seperate heavy gauge metal plates that are mounted to the stock 928 seating points and then drilled to attach the sparco slider bracket (type J) to the plates and then to the bottom mounting points of the seat. The sliders are not as wide as the stock mounting points, so the plates close the gap. In theory, I have no problem omitting the sliders especially considering it would lower the entire mount about an inch.

In thinking about what you have suggested, I guess I could move the plates as needed and then re-drill to match the new seat and remount the plates to the stock seating points using the Sparco side mounts.

Are you suggesting to not even get the Sparco side brackets? I'm thinking brackets need to be FIA approved and therefore would need the side mounting brackets from Sparco.

Again, thanks for the generous offer!
Old 11-11-2007, 10:19 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you looked at the Cobra Seats? I was just sitting in several models today to try out sizes. The Standard size Sparco was by far the tightest, the Cobra Evolution was significantly more roomy in the standard size, and it comes even larger. I came away with the impression their seats had more of a range than the Sparco.
Out of curiousity, how was the Sabelt seat in other aspects? Quality, shape, support, etc.?
Old 11-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I have the OMP Big seats. They are similar to the Evo 3 but the back is much taller. Mine is bolted a rabbit hair off the floor.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:31 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wide seats often use special mounting brackets. They are the type that have a simple 90 degree bend whereas the side brackets for a normal width seat have a compound bend so that the mounting holes are positioned properly over the factory mounting points. I don't know what an EVO3 would require. i had EVO2's in my 911 and I used a homemade 90 degree bend mounting bracket. I now have COBRAs and I had to use a B-K bracket because it's made for wider seats.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David 23
Have you looked at the Cobra Seats? I was just sitting in several models today to try out sizes. The Standard size Sparco was by far the tightest, the Cobra Evolution was significantly more roomy in the standard size, and it comes even larger. I came away with the impression their seats had more of a range than the Sparco.
Out of curiousity, how was the Sabelt seat in other aspects? Quality, shape, support, etc.?
I've seen the Cobra Seats advertised but never looked into them. I was considering the Recaro and Sparco seats when I came accross the Sabelt. The Sabelt seemed like a really nice seat however for an "XL" it was really no larger than my currrent Sparco Pro 2000. I liked that it had the halo protection and was priced well for the overall product. Considered the Kirkey aluminum fram seat however a long time racer friend said he found then uncomfortable and unforgiving.
Thx for the tip on the Cobra!

Where did you go to check out so many seat fitments?
Old 11-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisp
Wide seats often use special mounting brackets. They are the type that have a simple 90 degree bend whereas the side brackets for a normal width seat have a compound bend so that the mounting holes are positioned properly over the factory mounting points. I don't know what an EVO3 would require. i had EVO2's in my 911 and I used a homemade 90 degree bend mounting bracket. I now have COBRAs and I had to use a B-K bracket because it's made for wider seats.
How does one get homemade brackets FIA approved for racing?
Old 11-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

This is just one reason why You should always use a good shop....
Old 11-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David 23
+1 for Cobra seats. They also offer GT versions(2" wider) of most, if not all, of their seats.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

I just emailed them for measurements because all sizes are not on the website.

Anyone using a XL Cobra want to share their measurements? Height, weight, waist, shoulder..

EDIT: Found the chart http://cobra.subesports.com/php/css....p?option=seats
Old 11-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

And in case you missed this:

http://cobra.subesports.com/mcs/2k8
Old 11-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Abby
Anyone using a XL Cobra want to share their measurements? Height, weight, waist[/url]
Cobra Suzuka GT
5'11"
200lbs
34"

I strongly suggest trying any seat before you buy it, just because ____ finds it comfortable you may not.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:16 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at PST housed at Motorsports Ranch in Texas. They had a number of different seats to try out.
I found the standard size Cobra Evolution to have more room than the standard size Cobra Sebring or any other standard seat. The Evolution and Sebring come in larger sizes also. The standard Evolution fit me very well, at about 5'10, 34", 195. Cobra shell is kevlar, so they are a bit lighter than Sparco, seemed to have stronger wearing covering also.

You should try out seats, just as has been suggested. I noticed subtle differences among every one I sat in.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:17 AM
jester911
Drifting

+1 for trying the seat before purchase. Even seats with the correct dimensions may not really fit properly.

Quick Reply: F*^#@ Race seats