Residence Inn Daytona: Warning to those that stayed

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 11:08 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts
Default Residence Inn Daytona: Warning to those that stayed

I stayed at the Residence Inn for 2 nights during RRIII as I know some of you here did. Yesterday I received a notice of fraudulent activity on a credit card. The attempted charge was for $5000 to some Buddist activity in Daytona. I only used that particular card for two transactions my entire 3 day stay in Daytona, both were at the Residence Inn. The bank did not approve the fraudulent transaction, and their fraud team will investigate. A call to the hotel was unhelpful as the manager was unappologetic, and did not believe that her hotel could be used to access credit card numbers.

To those that stayed there, check your accounts.

In hindsight, what a perfect weekend to gain credit card info on people that are known to have at least a little bit of money.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:39 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Did the hotel have those credit card looking door keys? I've read about those being used to pull CC numbers off after people check out.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

You've been enzo'd Enzo:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/hotelkey.asp
Old 11-07-2007, 12:21 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Oh sure, the first time in years I don't check snopes......
Old 11-07-2007, 03:26 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marriott requests that you leave your card room keys in the room when you use express checkout. If confidential information is on those card room keys, and Marriott does not have an audit control on the return of those keys, then it faces potential liability arising from their failure to secure the confidential information on them.

I stayed at the Marriott Courtyards in Daytona Beach. I had better check with my card issuer to see if there is any unauthorized activity.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:13 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Marriott requests that you leave your card room keys in the room when you use express checkout. If confidential information is on those card room keys, and Marriott does not have an audit control on the return of those keys, then it faces potential liability arising from their failure to secure the confidential information on them.

I stayed at the Marriott Courtyards in Daytona Beach. I had better check with my card issuer to see if there is any unauthorized activity.
There is no such thing as credit card info or any personal data on a room key. I'm a General Manager of a hotel so I know exactly what can happen. The room keys are a totally separate system from the PMS ( Property Management System) that has your personal data and credit info and only one line on the black strip to encode the new combination of the specific door lock. The maximum code lines on a key would be 3, one containing the name, the other the length of stay and the other the code.

How in your case could have happened are 2 ways.

1. unethical employee or manager, which is very possible. New PMS systems encode the last 4 digits of the cc as soon as it is swiped and only management has authorization to see this number. With the older systems you can see all the data and I suspect this being an older property its probably the case.

2. If there is a data device plugged in the back of the computer that collects information, that is another way. Again difficult to happen because someone needs access to the front desk and since most are manned 24/7 its almost impossible for someone to do it.

Your best chance is to address the issue with the management company directly and file a complain asap. I would be very disturbed if I had a guest with this issue and would address it immediately.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Dick Beers
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

SeaCay,

Thanks for the heads up!!!!!! I just checked my Capital One account and found 3 charges for 190 posted today. Called the fraud dept and another was made today for 222 and change. Also stayed at the Residence Inn.

For certain something going on there.

Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:59 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dick Beers
SeaCay,

Thanks for the heads up!!!!!! I just checked my Capital One account and found 3 charges for 190 posted today. Called the fraud dept and another was made today for 222 and change. Also stayed at the Residence Inn.

For certain something going on there.

Thanks again.
Damn. Glad to have helped. My bank is going to be conducting it's own investigation, but perhaps a call to the Daytona Beach Police may be in order?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Dick Beers
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Filed a report with my local police (Minneapolis) per Capital One's request and put in a call to the Gen. Mgr of the hotel. Doesn't sound like you got any satisfaction from that activity?!

Thanks again for the heads up. Sent an email to all club members in the NordStern region as there were several others from here who also stayed at the Residence Inn.

I kind of expect some sort of trouble down here ... had a cell phone stolen at the last Rolex 24 race I attended. Stolen by one of the hotel maids down at one of the cheap hotels on the beach. Cops, hotel mgr and everybody else could have cared less.

Be careful down there.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I didn't stay at the Residence Inn but I just double checked mine. Everything is OK, but why did I put the go-cart tickets on a credit card when I was running with you guys?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:26 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kurt R
I didn't stay at the Residence Inn but I just double checked mine. Everything is OK, but why did I put the go-cart tickets on a credit card when I was running with you guys?
I hear ya, I did the same thing on a different card...

Well, at least you didn't get kicked off of the track.

Nice to meet you, hope your flight back was uneventful.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Posting a link to this thread up on Pelican and NNJR PCA's website.

-Z-man.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:17 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJF1
The room keys are a totally separate system from the PMS ( Property Management System) that has your personal data and credit info and only one line on the black strip to encode the new combination of the specific door lock. The maximum code lines on a key would be 3, one containing the name, the other the length of stay and the other the code.

How in your case could have happened are 2 ways.

1. unethical employee or manager, which is very possible. New PMS systems encode the last 4 digits of the cc as soon as it is swiped and only management has authorization to see this number. With the older systems you can see all the data and I suspect this being an older property its probably the case.

2. If there is a data device plugged in the back of the computer that collects information, that is another way. Again difficult to happen because someone needs access to the front desk and since most are manned 24/7 its almost impossible for someone to do it.

Your best chance is to address the issue with the management company directly and file a complain asap. I would be very disturbed if I had a guest with this issue and would address it immediately.

Everything said here is correct I have several key systems to test interfaces. I did have one moron of a developer who wanted to use a CC as the card key and even had a couple of the lock companies interested until I killed that off as soon as I heard about it.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My guess is they have chosen the wrong group of folks to steal from. Sorry to hear about this and glad you are on to them. Sick'em!
Old 11-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

THanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: Residence Inn Daytona: Warning to those that stayed