Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winterizing a race car

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007 | 10:20 PM
bnewport
Racer

Default Winterizing a race car

My 944 spec car runs water as coolant. I'm afraid it'll freeze over the winter (I live in MN) so I want to know what to do. I can just try to drain it but water will probably remain in the engine and possibly damage it by freezing. I can add anti freeze or drain and refill with 50/50 but someone said it's hard to get it all out to pass tech the following spring.

Any ideas?
Old 11-03-2007 | 09:02 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

The idea of having to have no coolant this far north to pass tech is BS. I run coolant in my racecar, never an issue - just keep it all in the engine. Like we all have heated garages???
Old 11-03-2007 | 12:52 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Im getting ready to mix some coolant in with the distilled water for an upcoming DE. Ill leave the coolant in until March or April when we get away from the freezing weather. A simple drain and refill wont get all of it out, but close enough. Drain and refill it again if youre worried about it.
Old 11-03-2007 | 04:08 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

I think you have to get the car inside or get a good mix of anti in there. See the other thread about antifireeze. Also, if you have an ESS fire system remember to get the bottle out of the car. I have a trouble light hanging by mine until I can get the car inside.
Old 11-04-2007 | 12:14 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glycol
Old 11-04-2007 | 01:28 AM
deep_uv
RIP

What's this strange coolant you speak of? What does winterizing mean?
Old 11-05-2007 | 10:37 AM
M758
Race Director

Billy,
Drain the water and add in 50/50 mix (or 60% coolant). Run the motor and get it nice and warm. This will allow for what is left in the motor to mix well. That is about it.

In the spring when it its time to race drain and refill with water. I am pretty certain if you run an event when still cool and there is chance of freezing you can run the coolant and be ok.

I have raced with NASA for 5+ years and never seen any car checked for coolant.
Old 11-06-2007 | 11:13 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by deep_uv
What's this strange coolant you speak of? What does winterizing mean?
That was nasty since I just put the 3 p-cars away last weekend!
Old 11-06-2007 | 11:56 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bnewport
My 944 spec car runs water as coolant. I'm afraid it'll freeze over the winter (I live in MN) so I want to know what to do. I can just try to drain it but water will probably remain in the engine and possibly damage it by freezing. I can add anti freeze or drain and refill with 50/50 but someone said it's hard to get it all out to pass tech the following spring.

Any ideas?

If you undo the bottom hose from the radiator, you will drain most of the coolant and then filling with water/wetter will pass any tech for no-antifreez.
Old 11-06-2007 | 01:33 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
That was nasty since I just put the 3 p-cars away last weekend!
Sorry man. I guess I should feel bad as you guys are prepping for winter and I'm prepping for 2 DE's in the next 4 weeks. Dang, I did it again.

To make you feel better, winter has set in here too. We just had a cold front blow in and it's in the low 60's. Brrrrrr. We're in the deep freeze until the weekend when the highs will finally be back in the 80s. I can't stop.

Quick Reply: Winterizing a race car