Sponsored by:

Racetech seat - experiences and opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:12 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 860 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon Moeller
Yeah, I saw that. I was hoping that the guide holes might be 3" high. ;-)
Jon,

I am 6' 3" with a 36.5" inseam and weigh ~200 lbs. I looked at the "plus" size versions of both the Cobra and Racetech seats and found them to be too wide for my body. There was a lot of lateral free play.

The Racetech RT4009HR was a little tighter than I wanted and the shoulder belt openings were a bit too low. I pulled out the seat cushion and I fit better and the shoulder belt openings were fine. The seat bottom without the pad was quite comfortable.

The Cobra Sebring Pro fit my body appropriately tight and the shoulder belt openings were okay. But, the seat fit even better when I removed the seat cushion. My plan is to run the seat without the seat cushion. If I find it uncomfortable, I will make thin seat pad.

My point? Try the seats without the seat cushion and see how they fit and feel. That may make the difference.

Scott
Old 02-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I can't comment on RT4009HR specifically, as I have the RT4009HRV, but I'm very satisfied. Comfort and fit iis very good. Seat is quite stiff. I like it and I recommend it. I do use the Hans and I never had any issues at all.

c.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Charles A. Toupin; 02-16-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: adding a picture
Old 02-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Racetech Steve
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to kinda fill in a bit of info, many drivers actually sit in their Racetech seats without the base cushion in place. And they do it comfortably....for long stints on the track! We do have options though. The new molded base cushion that is contoured for each leg is definitely thicker. Solutions to this thickness are very simple...

1. Remove the cushion from the cover material and go at it with a knife to make it thinner.

2. Replace with our older style 4-piece base/lower back cushion set. This will allow you to sit an extra inch lower in the seat.

3. Run with no base cushion in the seat

Also, just to clarify, the RT4009HR/WHR do not have back-mounting provisions, but the RT4009WTHR does. While the WTHR is not FIA Homologated, the back-mounting does satisfy most Tech Inspection purposes in most competition series. This seat was not Homologated because the costs are too high based on the popularity of the seat...But rest assured, the RT4009WTHR is build just as well as any of the other Racetech products.

The RT4009HRV/WHRV both have back-mounting provisions, but they are purely optional. The seat passed FIA 8855-1999 testing with only the side mounts like all other 8855-1999 Homologated Racetech seats. The back-mounting on the HRV/WHRV seats is what was needed to sustain the 45G dynamic sled testing performed on the seats with Diamler Chrysler for the Viper Competition Coupe development.

One other option is the RT9129THR and the (soon to be homologated) RT4129THR, which are both going to fall under the 8862-2009 FIA Homologation. These are both 10-year life seats that are back-mount required, but they were tested to the new enhanced FIA Quasi-Static load testing to 75G's on all points in a row all on the same test seat during the same test. The seats will be a standard width, tall seat for the narrow bodied 6'1" + driver. These have the taller harness guides than the standard Racetechs as well as being 60mm taller overall AND 60mm taller from the base of the seat to the base of the harness guides.

I am sorry for the overload on info, I just figured it would help...

Steve

Quick Reply: Racetech seat - experiences and opinions wanted