Sponsored by:

Track experience helps avoid accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:48 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GT3 Racer
When my daughter got her permit to drive, the first thing I did was to take her to parking lot with no cars on a Sunday morning and set up my own little AX school.
I remember my father in law did that same thing with my son and the cops showed up and ran them off. Hard to find a place to do this where you don't attract any attention...
Old 10-31-2007, 12:55 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
RANT ON

I am involved in the Street Survival program - great training for teens - car control, skids, etc.
The Street Survival program is GREAT. Bill Wade, the guy who runs the program, is a very good guy. Everyone I know who has been involved in the program has only had good things to say. Should be required course for new drivers. I was luck enough to go to a DE, where the first day was essentially a car control clinic, a few weeks after I had my licenses

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Glad nothing happened, Ron. If you can left foot brake, you'll be even safer on the road.
Left foot braking doesn't help you get on the brakes any sooner on the road unless your left is hovering over the pedal. It will take just as long to get your left foot from the dead pedal/clutch as it would to get your right foot from the accelerator.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:58 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
Left foot braking doesn't help you get on the brakes any sooner on the road unless your left is hovering over the pedal. It will take just as long to get your left foot from the dead pedal/clutch as it would to get your right foot from the accelerator.
Well, that is exactly my point. My left foot hovers over the brake pedal amost all of the time. Trust me; it works well on the street for very quick speed cessation and is invaluable when towing.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:52 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Well, that is exactly my point. My left foot hovers over the brake pedal amost all of the time. Trust me; it works well on the street for very quick speed cessation and is invaluable when towing.
Driving with the left foot hovering over the brake pedal must make for some miserable driving enjoyment. Even watching rally drivers feet I see that they rest the left foot on the dead pedal and move it over only when both gas and brake are needed at the same time.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:30 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Now I see where you are coming from. Yeah, I never hover with the left foot over the brake on the street. Just not comfortable to flex the foot for a long period.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
Driving with the left foot hovering over the brake pedal must make for some miserable driving enjoyment. Even watching rally drivers feet I see that they rest the left foot on the dead pedal and move it over only when both gas and brake are needed at the same time.
Not at all, but, of course, it all depends on how you define driving enjoyment and under what circumstances. There is actually great pleasure in knowing that you are minimizing your own performance deficits. You actually get used to it. I sometimes worry that my right foot will forget that it does more than work the throttle.

In heavy traffic, my left foot is over the brake. If I'm driving through a country road and it's dusk, prime deer time, my left foot is over the brake. At the start of a race and in trying to get closer to a car in front of me to set up a pass, my left foot is over the brake. However, when I'm cornering, I often use the dead pedal to brace myself, a technique that I think is detrimental to true, on-track left foot braking since I feel like I'm "floating" in the seat if my right foot is on the throttle and my left foot is working the brakes in a very fast corner that I'm trying to take "flat out". Next year, I'm going to really work on this approach and get over the need to brace my left foot.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:30 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Wow, Mark....even thinking about that makes me uncomfortable. Sounds horrible.

By contrast, when in my 911, I keep my foot resting on the clutch pedal (not pressed). I don't feel like there is that much room down there for my size 12 left foot. And does help out in traffic when I have to shift quick. Rennline dead pedal is on my Christmas list.

Quick Reply: Track experience helps avoid accident