Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Fender rolling recommendations Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:03 AM
donoman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Fender rolling recommendations Bay Area

Got my 17x10 CCW's wearing 275's in the rear. Unfortunately they hit the fender lip when I hit big bumps! Oh no!!! I'm looking at doing a trackday in a few days with my 911. Damn it!

Can anyone recommend a shop to roll my fenders? I'm pissed!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:30 AM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Louisville slugger and heat gun.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:31 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Sure thing: Home Depot for a heat gun, then a sporting goods store for a baseball bat. Seriously- it's quick, easy, cheap, effective, and similar quality to a "fender roller" thingy. A virtual win-win-win.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:32 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Crap, beat me by 10 seconds.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:36 AM
donoman
Racer

Are you sure this is safe? I don't want to crack the paint on the fender and I'm willing to pay someone to do it so I have someone to sue when they screw up! hahahhaa

Seriously though, TC Design Fab told me to take a rubber mallet and hit very softly towards the outside. They said it should take me about 15 passes to make the fender flare out. Is this kosher?

I'd much rather pay someone.
I figured in the racing forum people who've done this in the past would know.

THANKS GUYS!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:34 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by donoman
Are you sure this is safe? I don't want to crack the paint on the fender and I'm willing to pay someone to do it so I have someone to sue when they screw up! hahahhaa
I doubt even a body shop would guarantee the paint won't crack, and that's if they have the proper roller to do it. You can make a real mess of things with a bat, is this just a track car or do you care about it? I'm surprised 10" wheels with 275's fit , best I could do is 9.5" Fikse's and 265 Pilot 2's on my 93.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Don't buy the fender roller from Tire rack, it doensn't fit Porsche bolt patterns. Ask me how I know...
Old 10-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmorris3
Don't buy the fender roller from Tire rack, it doensn't fit Porsche bolt patterns. Ask me how I know...
Yep, it's the same one Eastwood sells I believe.. I cut off their "adapter" and welded on a plate I made up for mine. Works great after that! LOL
Old 10-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

I started the drill one of the holes out to make it work but didn't. Had my wrench roll it as the car was there getting an oil cooler. Got it to Road Atlanta and it still rubbed, doesn't now after a good talking to with a hammer... it still looks good from 50 feet away at 50 mph....
Old 10-31-2007, 12:20 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by donoman

Seriously though, TC Design Fab told me to take a rubber mallet and hit very softly towards the outside. They said it should take me about 15 passes to make the fender flare out. Is this kosher?

I'd much rather pay someone.
I figured in the racing forum people who've done this in the past would know.

THANKS GUYS!
Heat gun & bat is just as effective as a proper roller. The important parts of the procedure have nothing to do with the tool you use. What's important is that you heat the area to like 140-150F (very warm to the touch) then make several passes. You can also use a PVC pipe. I used a junior-sized bat. IMHO, using a rolling tool is a complete waste of time & money. Just my 2c.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:38 PM
donoman
Racer

My buddy has this one:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT

Think it'll work?
Old 10-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Nope.. bolt pattern isn't correct. That's the one I have.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:59 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have modified two of those to make them work. You have to cut all 5 bolt slots open on the ends and weld some 1/4 stock to close up the slots. They will fit fine after that. The patern is OK just a little too small. They are not worth the money or effort to make them work IMO. There are easy ways that work as well as the store bought tool. Even the store bought tool requires touch and some skill.

Don't use a wood or metal bat! Use PVC water pipe. 3 foot long section of 2 inch white PVC pipe and some spray lube to cut friction. The pipe works well as it is soft enough to not gall up the paint but stiff enough to turnthe metal back smoothly.

Clean the inside of the fender and lip well to remove all the grit and gunk. If you don't it will come loose and gall up in the paint helping to crack it away from the metal.
Heat the paint with a heat gun to the almost too hot to touch point and then ease the metal back using the pipe rolling it against the tire. You can tune the pressure by jacking the car up to ajust the tire to fender gap. Take your time and keep the paint hot to reduce the chance of cracking the paint. roll it back only as much as is needed and where it is needed. Increase the angle of the pipe as the fender rolls in.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

A PVC pipe is a great idea, but, if you're car is very low and the tire-to-fender clearance especially narrow, a tapered rolling pin can be very effective, too.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:05 PM
jester911
Drifting

I had this issue a while back with my car after I went to wider wheels/tires. The front passenger side rubbed a little in spirited driving. I rolled the fender with a jr. aluminum bat and it worked great. Then I did a track day and it rubbed again only worse. Fortunately I had he foresight to bring the bat with me. I ended up doing some serious rolling in the paddock.
Moral is make sure you get enough clearance especially if your going to the track.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Fender rolling recommendations Bay Area