Sponsored by:

Arched trailer ramps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:02 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Have you tried raising the front of your trailer too? Either use the trailer jack, a floor jack or ramps for the back of your tow vehicle. You would be surprised at how much more clearance you get with a little incline to the trailer. My car is very low too, but I can just drive it up the door ramp (6') if I raise the trailer nose a foot.

Larry,

I use the trailer jack as well, but I leave the trailer connected to the truck and this past time I've noticed that the trailer jacks connection point to the trailer is starting to bend, do you leave trailer connected to the tow vehicle or do you disconnect?

JM
Old 10-31-2007, 11:07 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I can top that. I disconnected to jump start the SC and forgot to reconnect the truck and trailer then tried going up the ramps. I remembered this minor detail as the front of the trailer was reaching for the sky. It would not have been so bad except it was in the paddock at the Glen. Only damage was my pride.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorris3
Larry,

I use the trailer jack as well, but I leave the trailer connected to the truck and this past time I've noticed that the trailer jacks connection point to the trailer is starting to bend, do you leave trailer connected to the tow vehicle or do you disconnect?

JM
On my old open trailer the jack was short & pretty stout so it was no problem to raise the truck & trailer together. On my enclosed trailer, it is heavy enough to drive the car into it without it being connected. Just don't be on too much of an incline, or forget to have the wheels chocked.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SMR996
I use these for my 996 ...... I'll have anywhere from 1/2" or more clearance when I back out of the trailer.... the best part is they weight next to nothing....

http://www.raceramps.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=73

What model did you get?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:46 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I can top that. I disconnected to jump start the SC and forgot to reconnect the truck and trailer then tried going up the ramps. I remembered this minor detail as the front of the trailer was reaching for the sky. It would not have been so bad except it was in the paddock at the Glen. Only damage was my pride.
You were lucky you didn't have damage. We had a guy at LRP a few years ago decide that it would be cool to come flying into the paddock (way too fast) and just drive up onto his open trailer 9last run). He forgot that he had backed up to the trailer but never hooked them up. He not only raised the trailer nose to the sky, he drove the trailer forward so that as it came down hard it was over the bed of his truck. It made a Hell of a racket!
Old 10-31-2007, 05:33 PM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

What model did you get?

The TR-5. They will custom make to any length, width, or height based on a drawing from you.... Very nice people.....
Old 10-31-2007, 07:38 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Just dang near everybody I know has tried loading their car with the hitch not completly latched, or the trailer just setting behind the truck. Me and all my friends have dents in our tailgates. As Murphy said, if it can go wrong, it will. I once drove from Memphis to Jackson, Tn about 60 miles with my old enclosed Pace. Luckily, I did not hit a bump and disconnect the trailer from the truck.

Oh well.

Bill
Old 11-01-2007, 08:29 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Guy at MO hits the wall at Start/Finish and bangs up his 911 on 3 sides. It is still able to move under its own power so he drives it up on his new trailer and drives the hitch into the back of his new trucks tailgate and truck cap glass.

I installed 2 extra foldable trailer jacks on the back of my Trailex, one each side. Deploy them and crank all 3 to what ever hight I need. I can set the trailer angle so the car clears and also drive on and off without being hitched to the truck. when i am done the 2 in back fold up between the fender and rear lights.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kurt M
I installed 2 extra foldable trailer jacks on the back of my Trailex, one each side. Deploy them and crank all 3 to what ever hight I need. I can set the trailer angle so the car clears and also drive on and off without being hitched to the truck. when i am done the 2 in back fold up between the fender and rear lights.
I've seen that before. Pretty slick. I have resorted to a floorjack under the back of the trailer to accomplish the same thing. You could also precut 2 stacks of wood as bases to rest the back of the trailer on.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

What are the jacks in the back for?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:53 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I like Kurt's idea. Winter project for the shop.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:54 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

What are the jacks in the back for?
To keep the front of the trailer from flipping up when the weight of the car loads up on the ramps. With the two in back down and locked the trailer is a tripod. No need to be hooked up to the truck to drive on or off. Handy in cramped paddocks as you can keep the car on the trailer at night and drive the truck around too. I park my trailer in front of my house (No HOA!) and sometimes stack the car on it to free up space in the shop. This lets me drive on and off no problem.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

gotcha, thanks.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:27 AM
DGuida
Advanced

How do you ramps attach to the rear of your trailer? If they sit on top of the rear of the trailer, with pins that go through the trailer, try putting the ramps back in where you store them, just a couple inches, drill a hole though the top of the trailer into the part of the ramp that's now in the trailer so the ramps won't slide when you drive your car onto the trailer. It gave me a about two more inches of clearence.

Quick Reply: Arched trailer ramps?