Sponsored by:

SCCA Class question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Well, after all of this I think I am NOT going to make my 924S into an ITS car. Seems it won't be competitive in the class...
Jay, I'm wondering how you came to that conclusion. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I know there are a LOT of people who express opinions on this matter and I think it's a tough call. It would take a cost no object build to run at the sharp end of the grid, but that's the same for any car in ITS and the cost of a Spec Pinata that runs at the sharp end of the grid is an expensive car, don't let anybody kid you.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 924RACR
There's always ITB... you'd **** off a lot of NE ITB guys, trust me! They got a taste of how fast the ol' 24 is back in August, when they came out to Mid-O...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VfU9rtEHpZ4
But how would I get a 924S into ITB?
Old 11-03-2007, 05:10 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But how would I get a 924S into ITB?
You could swap in a 2.0L Audi motor. It would probably be cheaper to buy an old 924 though.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:24 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Well, after all of this I think I am NOT going to make my 924S into an ITS car. Seems it won't be competitive in the class and I am just going to save my pennies and buy my Spec. Miata. My boss said I can race his car next year for a small fee which is WAY below rental cost. Nice to have friends. However, I will still keep the 924 to do DE events with PCA and ZONE 1. I enjoy instructing in PCA and don't want to lose that.
instructors can bring any make to pca events. can't they?

i plan on staring sm racing next year so we would be running together. p.faill made the switch you should too
Old 11-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

instructors can bring any make to pca events. can't they?
Not in Potomac
Old 11-04-2007, 12:08 AM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt Marks
Not in Potomac
it is ok with NER and CVR. not certian on NCR's policy.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:08 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by J Silverman
Vaughan, are you going to be at the ARRC at the end of the month?
No - I'm going to the ARRC they're gonna hold next weekend...

HELLS YEAH, I'm going! Just dropped in new rings yesterday, cleaned the head, valves, and pistons off (4 season's worth of carbon in there!), put it all back... have to finish stitching it up today, load up Tuesday, towing down Wed for the practice day! Looking forward to it!

Why do you ask?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:10 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

You could swap in a 2.0L Audi motor. It would probably be cheaper to buy an old 924 though.
LOL! Yeah, that is what I meant, just get a 2.0L car. Not like they're either hard to find or to come by! LOL Should be able to find a decent candidate for under $500... might be worth closre to $1k if it's a late car and comes with the disc/disc brakes and the right 5-speed (not the '79 5-speed).
Old 11-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by doc2s
it is ok with NER and CVR. not certian on NCR's policy.
NCR you can run anything in Red. But I also want to be able to do Zone events as well.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 924RACR
LOL! Yeah, that is what I meant, just get a 2.0L car. Not like they're either hard to find or to come by! LOL Should be able to find a decent candidate for under $500... might be worth closre to $1k if it's a late car and comes with the disc/disc brakes and the right 5-speed (not the '79 5-speed).
So what is the right year for the older 924's then? Maybe that will help in the search.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Geo
Race Director

You could, but that would be illegal in IT.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:38 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Jay, I'm wondering how you came to that conclusion.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I know there are a LOT of people who express opinions on this matter and I think it's a tough call.

It would take a cost no object build to run at the sharp end of the grid, but that's the same for any car in ITS and the cost of a Spec Pinata that runs at the sharp end of the grid is an expensive car, don't let anybody kid you.

Well, That's the way I feel... ITS will be a very tough place to win. (w/ 924s)

Since nobody I know has done the 'cost is no object build up', you would be pretty much on your own, testing different suspension setups, shock valving, gearboxes, etc... and as a rookie, that would be tough...

-just looking at Vaughan's videos, it seems at some tracks, that is the car to beat. (in ITB)

and you might just have a source on what works, and what doesn't, assuming you say out of the midwest....

-in ITS, shops like speed source have already done the development effort, and are either selling parts, or service.

edit: I see Geo is building an ITS 944.... hmm, that might change some things
Old 11-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Geo
Race Director

Actually, a cost no object 944 build has been done by a former Rennlister (Chris Camadella - he may still pop in from time to time). However, it was not build to the current rules and weight. I am pretty sure Chris has not raced seriously in 3-4 years.

Jon Milledge has much of the prep work figured out. There are only a few new tweaks that need to be done. Will the car be competitive with a cost no object build? Not sure, but I think it can run up with most of the big dogs.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:48 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Actually, a cost no object 944 build has been done by a former Rennlister (Chris Camadella - he may still pop in from time to time). However, it was not build to the current rules and weight. I am pretty sure Chris has not raced seriously in 3-4 years.

Jon Milledge has much of the prep work figured out. There are only a few new tweaks that need to be done. Will the car be competitive with a cost no object build? Not sure, but I think it can run up with most of the big dogs.

Last thing I want to see is a porsche driver get discouraged, So all I'm suggesting is a 924 will do better in ITB than a 924s will do in ITS. mainly because I've never seen a front runner 944 or 924s in ITS, which might be a regional or track thing...

I was, pretty impressed with the videos Vaughan posted carving up the field.. the best performance I've seen from a p-car in scca, other than vintage or FP.

George, best of luck in ITS!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:20 PM
timo944
Instructor

Jay,

You are in ITS with your car. Just put in a cage and al lthe other safety gear and drive!! I've seen some late 924S in ITS do fairly well.

After you get good, get a good suspension. Ditch the Koni's and get Ledas or something. Use 32mm+ rear torsion bars and good stiff springs with shocks set up to match.

One recommendation - get a modified oil pan if you can - it may save you a blown motor.

Quick Reply: SCCA Class question