Sponsored by:

OT: F1 World Champion 2007

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007 | 06:38 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sawood12
Hamilton lost in Brasil because his gearbox conked out and was stuck in neutral for 40 seconds, not because of his poor start. If that hadn't happened then he would have picked up enough points to clinch it. I'd call that pretty lucky for Kimmi considering his pretty impeccable reliability through the year.
Hamilton wound was self inflicted , not a gearbox problem , the team paid the price by getting behind him at Alonso's expense from race 6 , for their efforts they got nothing in the end.... Justice served .
Old 10-23-2007 | 06:45 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 944 Fanatic
Formula 1 is a team sport, and the team should be working towards one common goal. McLaren could take a lesson from Ferrari here, who have displayed how to operate as a single team unit better the second half of this season than perhaps any team ever has. Massa, in my eyes, is the hero of Brazil, as if he hadn't been a team player and done exactly what his team needed him to do, his team wouldn't have won the Driver's championship. Sure, he himself did not win, and yes he wanted it badly, but thats a surprising amount of selflessness for any F1 driver to display.
Bravo Paul, excellent points here. Without a doubt, Ferrari has had a team aproach for a while that they've instilled in many of their drivers. I mean, think about how Rubins helped Shuey in the past years? As much as any driver wants to win (championship or just the race), they need to think about the team frst and not themself. And Massa is a good example of this helped Kimi win.

Ferrari in 2008!!

Old 10-23-2007 | 06:59 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Kimi Has Emotions!

I found this on the racing forum and had to post it here. I don't think people realize that Kimi does have an emotional side, contrary to what they believe. I think these photos will enlighten people, but if nothing else, should will make them laugh.

Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2007 | 07:32 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Looks like he has just been told off by his Mom!
Poor guy!!! World F1 champion, multi millionaire, gets given Ferraris best and still struggles to raise a smile!!! There must be some isses going on! Hopefully now he has the title we will start seeing the real Kimi as Olli desribes. Olli if he is anything like Barry Sheene he will be all over the TV and advertising now he has his title. He still has some catching up to be as good as Keke though!!
Old 10-23-2007 | 08:25 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tommo951
Looks like he has just been told off by his Mom!
Poor guy!!! World F1 champion, multi millionaire, gets given Ferraris best and still struggles to raise a smile!!! There must be some issues going on! Hopefully now he has the title we will start seeing the real Kimi as Olli describes. Olli if he is anything like Barry Sheene he will be all over the TV and advertising now he has his title. He still has some catching up to be as good as Keke though!!
That's what I think also. Keke was too much fun to watch when he had the bit between his teeth. He was four wheel drifting before the Jap crowd were even born.
Oh, and Scott, no sour grapes but that was an incredibly boring World Cup Final and while I really dislike the South Africans, it was better for Rugby in general that the English 'game' didn't win. They are trialling new rules in the Southern Hemisphere to open the game up. You deserved to beat us Aussies, but I know who I'd rather watch when on song.

Lol, nice picture Rob. That's funny.
Old 10-24-2007 | 03:41 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944 Fanatic
And - the really important question - where has this policy of equal treatment gotten them this year??? With two drivers tied for points, 1 point out of the championship. Don't you think Ron is thinking to himself "Gee, if I had just stood behind my two-time WDC, instead of favoring a rookie, I would have won BOTH Championships?"
So true. But instead he ignored the two-time WDC, favored or not, and lost BOTH Championships.

I still can't believe Alonso came in as well as he did finishing third, against all odds. That car was clearly not running right.
Old 10-24-2007 | 06:26 AM
sawood12
Racer

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Hamilton wound was self inflicted , not a gearbox problem , the team paid the price by getting behind him at Alonso's expense from race 6 , for their efforts they got nothing in the end.... Justice served .
How did the team get behind him and not Alonso? Both drivers were treated equally - the only person dishing out un-sporting behaviour on and off the track was Alonso himself. He's been a disgrace to himself and the sport.

The gearbox problem was the final nail in the coffin for Hamilton. The rookie mistake that really cost him his title was getting embroiled with racing Raikkonen at Japan rather than focussing on the bigger picture. He should have let Raikkonen by, come in earlier for tyres and ended up taking 3rd or whatever spot he'd have taken. If he'd done that he would be world champion now. I also personally think he should have ran Alonso wide at Ou-Rouge in Spa and in Brasil, but again he showed his inexperience and gave Alonso the room he needed - probably because Alonso was his team-mate - though he wouldn't extend Hamilton the same considerations. He wont be making those errors next season after Alonso skulks back to Renault with his tail between his legs where he will get all the pampering he needs.

Ultimately F1 is not officially a team sport as proved by the antics of Schumacer and Barrichello. The teams have to 'rely' on the drivers own sense of team to support eachother at the right moment. Team orders are not allowed. Ferrari had to orchestrate the pit stops to allow Raikkonen to overtake Massa to clinch the title.
Old 10-24-2007 | 08:16 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

He wont be making those errors next season after Alonso skulks back to Renault with his tail between his legs where he will get all the pampering he needs.
I mean no disrespect, but how many WDC titles has Hamilton won? That's right: zero. Until he at least wins one, he should show a bit more respect for drivers on his own team who have.

Remember it was Hamilton who lost the championship for Maclaren by finishing 7th. Or was that Alonso's fault too?
Old 10-24-2007 | 09:02 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
I mean no disrespect, but how many WDC titles has Hamilton won? That's right: zero. Until he at least wins one, he should show a bit more respect for drivers on his own team who have.

Remember it was Hamilton who lost the championship for Maclaren by finishing 7th. Or was that Alonso's fault too?
Exactly
Old 10-24-2007 | 04:53 PM
sawood12
Racer

Sorry, I thought this was motor racing. I just don't understand that logic. I don't remember many people saying that Tiger Woods should have shown a bit more respect and waited a few more years before he started wiping the floor with everyone else. Or telling Mohammed Ali "Now just slow down there sonny, don't hit him so hard, he's the champion of the world don't you know, you don't want to make him look bad"!

But just for the record Hamilton has been extremely successful in all the previous formulas of racing he has participated in. He's hardly just popped out of obscurity and hopped into an F1 car. He's used to winning. it's in his blood and is what makes him successful. I don't know the stats but I reckon he has probably been far more successful that Alonso, Raikonen and the vast majority of other drivers currently in F1 during his pre-F1 years. He may be young but he's been racing and winning since he was about 6yrs old and worked his way up the ranks winning along the way.

There are too many old timers in F1 paying out of their own pockets to be there or driving for free, and the sport seems to have become complacent with mediocrity, too scared to get involved in good old fashioned wheel to wheel combat. Next season will soon tell if Hamilton is a flash in the pan and I hope he isn't because it's just what the sport needs - a plucky youngster to shake up the old guard and show us what they're made of.

I think every three seasons or so every F1 driver should have to go back to carting or a lower formula of racing just to re-learn how to race and overtake. Hamilton is fresh out of those lower formula's and it shows.
Old 10-24-2007 | 05:50 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Hey Sawood, if Hamilton was Irish American or Argentinian or even an Aussie everybody would be loving him. Whats his problem???? Yes he is a Brit. For some reason a lot of people are so jealous of Brits and feel that we are all stuck up our own asses! The trouble is most of these people have never been to England and still think we all have tea with the queen and walk around in pin stripe suits with bowler hats and umbrellas singing songs from Mary Poppins!
Britain is a modern multi cultural forward looking country, I don't see many Black Formula 1 drivers coming out of any other countries or is that his other problem
Luis as for respect?? How much respect did your iberian chum Mr Alonso have for his paymasters and team mates?? None! The guy is a loner who has lost friends in every non Spanish speaking country. Who is going to want him in their team?? With equal equipment he finished the season behind a rookie, thats the fact or would you rather whinge that his car was doctored with to make it slower than Hamiltons? I suppose it is all a conspiricy to stop Alonso getting given another title?? Kimi is World Champion and a worthy one and without reliability issues would now be at least a 2 time world champion at Alonso's expense Live with it! That is sport
Old 10-24-2007 | 09:09 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Hamilton lost in Brasil because his gearbox conked out and was stuck in neutral for 40 seconds, not because of his poor start. If that hadn't happened then he would have picked up enough points to clinch it. I'd call that pretty lucky for Kimmi considering his pretty impeccable reliability through the year.
More like his finger slipped and the system went into start sequence mode. He had to recycle the electronics which takes 40 secs and 17 cars later the system was back up. He has already publicly accepted that as human error. I guess the nerves got to him.
Justice has been served.
Mclaren was clearly messing with Alonso's car. It was too obvious. He was completely off the pace. It will be funny next yr when there will be no Alonso to develop the car and McLaren only seems to be fast every so many yrs. Tough times are ahead my friend .
I would never ever root for McLaren again. I was a big fan during the Mika yrs and was rooting for them this yr unless Hungarian fiasco.
Not a peep was said to Hamilton regarding his refusal to allow Alonso through and as we all know the rest if history. All of a sudden its Alonso against the whole team since their golden boy was stood up. The FIA even tried to best to give Hamilton the championship but there is a God out there.
I rather see Kimi win.
Raj

Last edited by RajDatta; 10-24-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-24-2007 | 09:57 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by tommo951
Hey Sawood, if Hamilton was Irish American or Argentinian or even an Aussie everybody would be loving him. Whats his problem???? Yes he is a Brit. For some reason a lot of people are so jealous of Brits and feel that we are all stuck up our own asses! The trouble is most of these people have never been to England and still think we all have tea with the queen and walk around in pin stripe suits with bowler hats and umbrellas singing songs from Mary Poppins!
Britain is a modern multi cultural forward looking country, I don't see many Black Formula 1 drivers coming out of any other countries or is that his other problem
Luis as for respect?? How much respect did your iberian chum Mr Alonso have for his paymasters and team mates?? None! The guy is a loner who has lost friends in every non Spanish speaking country. Who is going to want him in their team?? With equal equipment he finished the season behind a rookie, thats the fact or would you rather whinge that his car was doctored with to make it slower than Hamiltons? I suppose it is all a conspiricy to stop Alonso getting given another title?? Kimi is World Champion and a worthy one and without reliability issues would now be at least a 2 time world champion at Alonso's expense Live with it! That is sport

Well, Tommo - if he was Argentinian, he would have won.
Old 10-24-2007 | 11:54 PM
blitz951
Pro

Tommo,
You should be very proud of your British countryman. I also agree that England today has a different face infact Hamilton looks very English from what I have seen in England, not the classic European face like Mary Poppins or the Queen. Just think how jeolous the world will be of England in another 30 years at the rate it is changing. All those European countries with centuries of tradition and culture, genious in math and science... will all finally have to look up to England and its achievments.
My ancestors in Europe would be proud to have someone like Hamilton represent all those centuries of European blood. We should all be lucky enough to modernize as quickly as England has.
Thanks England,
Cheer O
Old 10-25-2007 | 03:15 AM
smac951
Rennlist Member

Although I do have respect for Brits, I have yet to meet anybody who is jealous.

Quick Reply: OT: F1 World Champion 2007