Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leda vs Advance Design shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:21 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am leaning towards the monotube options. They have less chance of fade (whether or not I'd ever get to the point of fading them) and they can be run inverted (which may help on the 3012s). AD has the easiest adjustment, but there have been some bad reviews of their customer service and ease of tuning. The 3012s seems like the best choice except for the adjustment procedures seem like a huge pain, especially on the front of a 928.

Opposed to them is Leda who has a great reputation. Leda is by far the most customizable/upgradable of the shocks in this price range. They're also twin tube, the most expensive, and the company was just bailed out of bankruptcy.

Why can't this be a simple chocolate vs vanilla decision?

This will be for road racing. NASA Mid-Atlantic runs Summit Point, VIR, CMP, and hopefully will add the new Thunderbolt facility in NJ in 2008 or 2009. Any autocrosses would just be for practice or fun.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:24 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I did the step-up and then step-up some and I would not recommend it. Everytime you make a major upwards spring change you will have to revalve. I started with a heavy street/lite track spring and then changed twice more. The last change included the move to motons and I am very pleased with the result. In hind site I would have "found" the extra money the first time around.

Mike
Old 10-23-2007, 09:13 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

A perspective on shock adjustability. Mine (the Bilsteins) are not adjustable at all. My initial damping setting was established by recommendation from Bilstein Motorsport. It took me 5 years of driving before I was ready to consider changing them, and that only after increasing spring rate 50% and driving for a season - and this all on the same track, 6 weekends a year!

So remember that the more ***** you have, the more ways you have to make a **** of yourself! I mean, just that many more ways to get the car adjusted wrong. So most of us who aren't pro or semi-pro could benefit from a season or so of driving time on the one setup before being ready to assess any changes. When you only do 2-4 track events per year, and not even on the same track... well, I just don't think shocks are the biggest variable...

Quick Reply: Leda vs Advance Design shocks