Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

come on 30
Old 12-28-2007, 03:54 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Based on the massive amounts of horsepower the 944 puts out, I spend more time droving in my rear view mirror than I do thru the windsheild. In my car I generally come up on people slowly (if at all??) and have time to plan. GT3s, Corvettes and Viper tend to come up on me quickly. It's just a matter of being aware and signalling in a timely fashion. I don't want to screw up anybody else's fun, nor do I want them mucking up mine.

If I can do it anyone can. Trust me on this.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:58 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not just the CI, it all in the Red and Black groups. I see many cars that I would consider slow (Miata vs Cup car) in Red compared to what's running out there. My friends complain about the "rolling chicanes", but what can you do? I guess Red is the Instructors group because "we've always done it that way, the ego has to take a back seat to reality. The slower cars could runin black or white just as well.

Page 30 yet?
Old 12-28-2007, 04:28 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
the ego has to take a back seat to reality.

Page 30 yet?
When you drove the clown car the ego is not allowed out of the house much less on the track.

Page 30 and climbing. Roger .....over.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:35 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TedA
When you drove the clown car the ego is not allowed out of the house much less on the track.

Page 30 and climbing. Roger .....over.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:48 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not just the CI, it all in the Red and Black groups. I see many cars that I would consider slow (Miata vs Cup car) in Red compared to what's running out there. My friends complain about the "rolling chicanes", but what can you do? I guess Red is the Instructors group because "we've always done it that way, the ego has to take a back seat to reality. The slower cars could runin black or white just as well.

Page 30 yet?
the truth is you have more fun when droving with others of you speed. Ego is getting in the way of fun for many. I should be in Blue at best...
Old 12-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
the truth is you have more fun when droving with others of you speed. Ego is getting in the way of fun for many. I should be in Blue at best...
Exactly. When I corded my Hoosiers two years ago, I put on my nearly full-tread RA-1's and felt like I was holding up too many faster cars/drivers in red. I asked to be moved down to black where the cars might have been a bit slower, but the group was too full to make any changes.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:14 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is good stuff. Gotta solve the world's problems. 50 pages or bust!
Old 12-28-2007, 05:48 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

BKS, ChrisL and another friend of ours have been talking about this. We have more fun running as a group, than alone. Now I could just keep up with them....

Originally Posted by kurt M
Old 12-28-2007, 06:09 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

BKS, ChrisL and another friend of ours have been talking about this. We have more fun running as a group, than alone. Now I could just keep up with them....
This is a reason to go racing: always someone around you going your speed. That's the most fun!
Old 12-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 38D
I have never seen a Chief or Instructor asked to move down, though it really should be part of the protocol IMO. I will say that this will only become more necessary as the speed disparities between cars increase.

I have to say that ego issue with the CI may depend on the region. As a former CI with Potomac driving an SC, I regularly chose to drive in Black instead of Red. The ego issue is not restricted to the CI; but, it seems that most instructors prefer to drive in a run group more representative of their relative speed. Obviously, there are exceptions.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

I just couldn't resist.

Happy New Year

Old 01-02-2008, 09:23 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

And...

Another thing that is not being factored in is scheduling. It can get enormously difficult - for yet another person you don't want to over load anymore than he/she already is - to work out student assignments when instructors are all over the group map. This may be the main reason why Red is it for instructors, fast or not.

Then there is back-to-backing them. I hate that!
Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
And...

Another thing that is not being factored in is scheduling. It can get enormously difficult - for yet another person you don't want to over load anymore than he/she already is - to work out student assignments when instructors are all over the group map. This may be the main reason why Red is it for instructors, fast or not.

Then there is back-to-backing them. I hate that!
I think that putting instructors all into one group causes more problems than it solves. Let's take the two most common scenarios of run group breakdowns: 4 groups and 5 groups.

4 Groups normally has the following: Green/Yellow, Blue/White, Black, Red. Students are spread across two run sessions: Green/Yellow and Blue. If the instructors are only in red, then you guarantee that some instructors are forced to run back to back. The way to ensure that some people get a break are to put some instructors in black and then run in the following order Red, Black, Green/Yellow, Blue/White. (Needless to say, those in black should be instructing those in Blue/White)

5 Groups normally has the following: Green, Yellow, Blue/White, Black, Red. Let's do the runs in the following order: Red, Black, Green, Yellow, Blue/White. There's lots of room now for creativity. People in red can instruct people in green or yellow. People in black can instruct people in yellow or blue. You could even put instructors in white and have them do a dual job: instruct those in green and have them get first hand experience of the people in white to see who is driving courteously and who isn't.

I think that putting instructors only in red leads to more scheduling headaches than distributing instructors across the run groups. And, even if it doesn't lead to more scheduling headaches, it leads to headaches for the instructors who have back-to-back run sessions.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:22 AM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

31 pages soon!

John wrote about overloading the instructors. We try really hard, in my region, to limit instructors to one student. If we can acheive that, we could copy another regiones method. They assign red instructors to blue students and black instructors to green students. That would be a workable solution. Argument could be made either way for which group of instructors gets which group of students.

Or...what Brian said.

Quick Reply: The Official NNJR @ VIR 2007 thread...