Sponsored by:

RV as tow and DE/Track command center?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:56 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
+1, this might be the compromise I've always wanted if it can safely tow 10k#. Can it sleep 4? (2 adults, 2 kids)

Hmm, the prices make a used class A seem cheap.
Charlie-

RV list prices are total fantasy. Purchase price is usually 20 to 30% below MSRP unless you just fell off the truck....
Old 10-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My coach has a 10K# tow rating (trailer with car is right at 8K). It can sleep 4 easily and 5 or 6 if you have a couple of kids and the other two adults don't mind sleeping in the living room wtih the kids. I have never had any trouble getting into camp grounds with mine but I don't camp in the deep woods, well sometimes I do Ill post a pic. We like full hook ups when we take this rig. I am considering buying another for deep woods type trips with the ATVs such as a Toy Hauler. My wife drives a Diesel Excursion so I can tow my trailer with either rig. I like having options.

As for storage for me, my best friend owns an RV storage business so mine stays indoors, insulated and plugged in for basically cost. I keep it fully stocked at all times with the fridge running so I can leave on a trip with minimal work. I have a full set of clothes etc... so no thinking minus anything special for that trip. Much better than sharing with another guy as I would hate to unload it after each use. Just one of those luxuries in life. Its definatly not for everybody.

Picture below is of my rig in Lake City, CO. ATV trip on the alpine loop.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think a F550 will tow 15k... Anyone?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...p1819Jan06.pdf

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...06_default.asp
Old 10-14-2007, 10:02 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Charlie-

RV list prices are total fantasy. Purchase price is usually 20 to 30% below MSRP unless you just fell off the truck....
Thanks for the heads up. I'm obviously pretty clueless about RVs.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:39 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I did a ton of research on my Host before I bought it.

On the 07 chassis with the 6.0L the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) is 26,000lb. My total weight - full, fuel, water, people, gear - is 16,100. So room for 9,900 towing. The 08 has a new motor and chassis and I believe slightly higher ratings.

For kids - the unit has a 2 person tent that folds out of the back and the couch folds down for a 5' bed. See their web site for photos of the tent.

These units are built here in Bend, OR by the sons of the two guys that founded Beaver Motorhomes. If any of you are serious let me know as I can help with direct factory purchases. I saved a bunch on mine. I don't get anything from them but I'm an entusiast for their product.

Last edited by MarkPcar; 10-15-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:11 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There are many options.

Pro's
- Lost of amenties at the Track.
- A/C on the hot days, heat on the cold ones.
- Shady quiet place to relax
- No need to pack up each night going to a hotel as everything is there. Sleep later in the mornings too

Con's
- More crap to prep. Now you have to add on RV prep onto the normal list of stuff to prep
- Harder to haul, It is going to take more work and planning to haul a bigger rig no mater how nice
- Fuel costs increase while towing
- Paddock space requires more planning
- Cost... It will cost more the doing the Hotel thing

Now ways to do it

- Enclosed Car Trailer with Living Qtrs. I friend of mine just got one. 36ft tag triple axle. 14 foot Living Qtr and rest garage. Cost is not that bad, but it is not idea for non-car use. Requires at MINIMUM at 350/3500 Dually Diesel.

- RV C Class. I have a friend with this. Tows his 944 on an open trailer usinga 27 foot RV E-450 chassis. Works ok, but you have limited space for grear and don't thing about an eclosed trailer. Tow ratings are very limited on most C-class

- A class. Nice, but still limit gear space and open trailer

- Diesel Pusher. A friend has one of these and tows ether and open trailer or two car enclose stacker. Very nice set-up, but also expensive.

- Toter home. Just about any combo of RV size and Trailer size.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:08 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are willing to use it beyond just track events, it just might make sense. The trucks even the cheap C and A class motorhomes are based on today are more robust and willing than the ones I was haulked around in as a kid. Pulling with an open trailer makes it easier still. Now, if you and your family are already "campers" this makes it easier as you can use it for vacation (non track vacations) and feel all "Clark Griswald" like. However, as mentioned, you may need to store it somewhere, and getting the sewage tanks cleaned/emptied may be a local challange.

I remember many trips to Watkins Glen, Pocono, LimeRock etc as a kid with our family's Winnebego. If you are already towing with a "dedicated" use vehicle (say excursion/suburban) that doesn't get pressed into Daily driver duty, I think its worth considering.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:12 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Just made the madin voyage in this to Hallett and it worked out well. As with anything the more space you have the more sh*t you end up packing. Towing was no problem at all, got about 6mpg but the engine only has 7k so its not even broke in yet.(probably wont get much better). It was very nice to come in after the race and take a shower and chill in the a/c.

Chris
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2007, 09:27 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by amondc
Just made the madin voyage in this to Hallett and it worked out well. As with anything the more space you have the more sh*t you end up packing. Chris
That's true.. Initial set up takes awhile.. Plates to eat off? Cookware to cook in? Silverware? Portable grill? Stocking and emptying the fridge? Sheets/sleeping bags? Coolers (for soda/waters etc)? Filling the water tanks? Emptying the water and sewage tanks? Keeping up on maintenance, more on time than mileage intervals. If it is a "family" thing then it works.. I think for a "solo" apporach, staying in hotels is better/easier and maybe cheaper.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Super nice rig, Chris!

Are you going to spruce up the trailer with livery, or?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:13 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Yeah I have a buddy of mine working on that just no time before we left. We got the rig less then 2 weeks ago so it was a short turn around time but now we have a while to get everything sorted out.

racer: You're right if solo the hotel is probably easier but with 7 of us including 2 kids and then 2 dogs this seems like its going to work out pretty good.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by amondc
Just made the madin voyage in this to Hallett and it worked out well. As with anything the more space you have the more sh*t you end up packing. Towing was no problem at all, got about 6mpg but the engine only has 7k so its not even broke in yet.(probably wont get much better). It was very nice to come in after the race and take a shower and chill in the a/c.

Chris
Was this rig sitting out at MSR a few weeks back? We looked at it if it was and we loved it. We really wanted to look inside and check it out. My racing budy and I both have diesel pushers and a third friend with a large enclosed trailer so the three of us share everything. My buddy is thinking about selling his pusher and getting a rig like yours with a stacker so the three of us can go in two rigs and share more. I will keep my pusher as the wife and I like to tailgate and go on ATV Colorado trips.
You have a great looking rig and I bet your milage gets a little better as that beast gets worn in a little. I get around 8 MPG towing my 8K trailer so 6 is not too far off for you.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:00 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Gasser
My buddy is thinking about selling his pusher and getting a rig like yours with a stacker so the three of us can go in two rigs and share more. I will keep my pusher as the wife and I like to tailgate and go on ATV Colorado trips.
Gasser, Have your friend check mine out - give away pricing, excellent condition. Full details on my web site, link below. Thanks, Mark

Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Gasser no this was not the one but you are welcome to come by and take a look at it if you want to. It will be up at Eagles Canyon in Nov if they get the track finished in time. We are in Southlake if you want to come by let me know.

Chris

Quick Reply: RV as tow and DE/Track command center?