Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transportation of Nigrogen Bottles

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 11:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

See, I think this is bull****. No disrespect intended to the OP, but my research shows that these rules are primarily applicable to motor carriers, i.e., commercial vehicles that are in the business of transporting items for compensation. As far as I can tell, they do not apply to individuals carrying items like this for personal consumption. For the same reasons, we as individuals are not required to have this sort of crap when we carry 5 gallons of race gas, or when people with lung disease transport their therapeutic oxygen bottle.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:31 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
See, I think this is bull****. No disrespect intended to the OP, but my research shows that these rules are primarily applicable to motor carriers, i.e., commercial vehicles that are in the business of transporting items for compensation. As far as I can tell, they do not apply to individuals carrying items like this for personal consumption. For the same reasons, we as individuals are not required to have this sort of crap when we carry 5 gallons of race gas, or when people with lung disease transport their therapeutic oxygen bottle.
I can tell you that taking an ALMS team across the border to Canada is a real PITA , have you any idea how much 'stuff' we have on a those trucks- its one time when you really appreciate the European Union. It used to be easier getting in and out of the former 'Eastern bloc'.

R+C
Old 10-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
I can tell you that taking an ALMS team across the border to Canada is a real PITA
If that is the case, then you're doing it wrong. I regularly dispatch multi-gajillion-dollar satellite uplink trucks etc. back and forth across the US-Canada border, and ours blow thru both US and Canadian Customs in minutes. If you're paperwork is properly prepared by one of the commercial customs brokers (Livingston Intl., etc.), border crossing with big $$$ equipment that is simply moving across borders without 'resale' issues, is no hassle.

Even if you're Joe Blow-racer, the US-Canada border presents no problem. US Customs form 4455 if you're nervous, otherwise just hit the border with your stuff.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Nitrogen is a hazardous compressed gas -- what about scuba tanks?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:45 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Alan Herod
If Nitrogen is a hazardous compressed gas -- what about scuba tanks?
I was thinking the same thing. However I've never seen anywhere that I would need to register that I had my tanks in my car and they go up to 3000 or 3500 psi.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:47 PM
bsr_257
Rennlist Member

I carry a baby bottle (Size A?) for my Motons, bought it at Home Depot. Never received any paperwork, zip, nada. Does this apply to a certain volume?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
If that is the case, then you're doing it wrong.

Even if you're Joe Blow-racer, the US-Canada border presents no problem. US Customs form 4455 if you're nervous, otherwise just hit the border with your stuff.
I think that beating up on a German team that usually wins, is regarded as patriotic by the customs guys, every bloody thing has to be scheduled......... doesn't matter so much at the moment.

R+C

Quick Reply: Transportation of Nigrogen Bottles