Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different HP / Speed cars running together in upper run groups

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007 | 08:44 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James-man
So does anyone REALLY get miffed at slower cars in intermediate and advanced solo run groups? If so, please 'splain why.
Slower cars and drivers do not bother me in the slightest PROVIDED that passing signals come in timely manners. In the highest run group, I think it should be expected that passing signals will be given at the earliest safe opportunity, and that nobody should be held up for more than 1 straight without a passing signal. (Actually, in the highest run group, nobody should even be held up for a single straight)

I've had times where I've followed people for an entire lap (sometimes more) at the Glen while waiting for a passing signal. When I'm told that I should cycle through the pits because the person in front can't give a signal... Well, yes, I admit to being miffed.
Old 10-11-2007 | 09:45 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James-man
With green students, the courtesy "I see you" wave can initially be problematic as it distracts from their line increasing the possibility of a whoopsie moment. Until students have some sense of line and car control, I don't want them obsessing with mirrors in turns.
Oh, nonono...

I didn't say that for the student. No no. I agree with you. A quick preparatory glance only for them. Get them paying attention early. Helps everyone.

As far as you being too slow, let it be a motivator. Turn up your driving a notch!! There is nothing better than seeing a fast car up on your tail going in, and then signaling a car that you have just driven away from in the turn.
Old 10-11-2007 | 10:20 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hmmm...

Situational awareness, indeed. A big problem if it is lacking, regardless of what speed car you drive. The REAL problem is the faster cars with slower drivers and unbalanced egos that hold ME up in the turns, lap after lap, ruining an entire session. Why the Hell should I be stuck behind a GT3 and have to cycle through the pits and lose track time because of someone elses faulty mirrors or fragile ego?
Fortunately, it does not happen that often.
Based on what I have seen, not many will catch you IN the corners. On the straight .. is a different matter and makes passes easy with no loss to either. BTW I don't recall any Rennsport GT3s holding you up
Old 10-11-2007 | 11:35 PM
James-man
Race Car

Please forgive - didn't mean to make it sound like your words.

Oh, nonono...

I didn't say that for the student. No no. I agree with you. A quick preparatory glance only for them. Get them paying attention early. Helps everyone.

As far as you being too slow, let it be a motivator. Turn up your driving a notch!! There is nothing better than seeing a fast car up on your tail going in, and then signaling a car that you have just driven away from in the turn.
Turn it up a notch? I wish it worked that way. Easier done on the chase than being chased. Why is that?
Old 10-11-2007 | 11:38 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

I dunno...I find it the other way around...haha, I love getting pushed
Old 10-11-2007 | 11:44 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I dunno...I find it the other way around...haha, I love getting pushed
I like both. I really like when a driver in a slightly faster car switches back and forth with you during a session. Chip from Delaware and I spent a session at Mid Ohio this year playing cat and mouse and switching back and forth the whole time. I am not so sure he learned from me, but I learned from him. Since I was in a slower car, I gave him a point by everytime we hit the straights, which he frequently waived off. When he did take the point by, we would run head and tail, and he would lift a little on the straights so that I could keep up there. Complete blast.

Track awareness should be second nature by the time you reach, frankly, white. If you don't know that a car is coming up on you before you are entering a turn, you don't get it. If you are at VIR and you can't see the cars coming down from Southbend as you exit oaktree, you have some work to do on your awareness.

I may have had one of the slowest cars in the black group, I guarantee you that I never held anyone up, despite getting held up occasionally by point and shoot squids (but not that often).
Old 10-11-2007 | 11:50 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob;

Only the evil handling ones.

Obviously, passing me on the straights is no challenge at all, for sure. Held up with RSR? Not at all. Your groups are quite well vetted, of course. I know that if there were such a driver, you'd have them over for a chat!

James;

Yeh. With no HP drug to blur the focus on DRIVING well, it's a slow building process, but all the more sweet. My notches have been pretty small, but I've gotten there!!
Old 10-12-2007 | 09:25 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

As for your signalling, I've done some work on that too. I try to drive with great community spirit, and keep everybody flowing as fast as possible. I USED to occasionally flash a quick signal as I entered the turn. I did this to let the passing car know that I was considering them, and that they could pass at their earliest convenience.

Someone pointed out to me that this may not be a good idea if the guy actually tried to pass IN the turn. While my first thought was that the rules did not allow this, and so it would not happen, I also know that there can be some people that don't drive with enough Vaseline behind their ears, so I have modified that tactic.
I try to give the signal (for drover's that I know) to fast approaching cars at turn-in so they can setup for the pass at corner exit. This has had the negative side effect of the other drover sometimes missing the pass since they are looking through the corner and not at my car, so I'll have to give another at corner exit.

When droving with people I don't know, I give the signal as I'm tracking out to prevent any confusion.
Old 10-12-2007 | 11:11 AM
M758
Race Director

A couple things that help this in DE are

1) No signal required on straights. If you are in the experienced run group you should be fine with having a car blow by on the straight away. It is not a big deal at all. Point by still recommended however.

2) Passing in corners with a point by. In this way faster cornering car will not have to "wait" for the straight to pass. Again if the drivers are experienced this should not be a big deal as passing in a corner is not hard if both drivers are aware and can handle their cars.

Remember race group practice is open passing any place and that works quite well when nobody is contesting corners. Even in the race group I will point by faster cars in practice or even in the race. The reason is that it gives ME some additional control over where the faster car will pass thus allowing both of us to minimize any slow down that results.
Old 10-12-2007 | 12:56 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

^^^I definitely agree with that. I loved the practice sessions before the clubrace as it was definitely less stress, easy to give up a corner (no mental ah ****), and the slower cars werent bothered much and worst comes to worst, you just pass on the next straight with NO problems...gives some great practice that I feel points dont really give...

maybe a new run group...duh duh duh...

Quick Reply: Different HP / Speed cars running together in upper run groups