Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the Cayman ever take over the prestige of a 911?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:41 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Cayman will not supplant the 911 in prestige but it will be seen on the track more and more. Caymans are not collector cars (high production numbers) this will allow the prices fall.

I wouldn't be surprised if, eventually, they create a class for Caymans. Mid-engine has superior handling, manages tires much better than rear engine. Purchase and parts prices should drop to the point many can afford to track them in couple of years. My boxster handled better than any 911 I'ver owned. A track prepped Cayman? Gotta love it.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:55 AM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a cayman spec class would be a nice addition in 5 years or so. So many 911 parts bolt right on and a new drivetrain is an inexpensive problem compared to a 911 rebuild
Old 09-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 76 Posts

Absolutely... Some of us eventually looking to go club racing would jump at the chance... The Caymen is a great little car, and a very respectable platform to track... In 30 years it may well replace the 911, only time will tell...

Mike
Old 09-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
Prestige has nothing to do with setup.

Now you are moving completely away from your original question.
When the Cayman starts eating 911's on the track, it will change people's perception of it. Yes, it will never have the history or the pedigree of the 911, but who knows what will happen over the next 10 years. The "prestige" of the 911 has been greatly enhanced by its results on the track.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:41 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1957 356
When the Cayman starts eating 911's on the track, it will change people's perception of it. Yes, it will never have the history or the pedigree of the 911, but who knows what will happen over the next 10 years. The "prestige" of the 911 has been greatly enhanced by its results on the track.
The 914-6 is a phenomenal track car. There is a 928 out there that eats all but the very fastest 911s on the track. Those cars have a perception issue. I doubt there are many people who will disagree that the Cayman is a great track car. It's not a perception reason why it won't be a prestigious car. It's not a 911 and it never will be. That being said, I would love to have one as a DD/DE car.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

The 914-6 is a phenomenal track car. There is a 928 out there that eats all but the very fastest 911s on the track. Those cars have a perception issue. I doubt there are many people who will disagree that the Cayman is a great track car. It's not a perception reason why it won't be a prestigious car. It's not a 911 and it never will be. That being said, I would love to have one as a DD/DE car.
914-6 and 928??? Not sure where you're going with that. Might as well throw in the 944 which can be developed into a great track car and as some have proven a heavily modified 944 turbo can beat just about any 911.

The Cayman is a little different story. The Boxster/Cayman platform is going to sell a crazy number of units (Boxster already has). Many critics thought the Boxster would never get any prestige and it has (though not the same as the 911). The Cayman platform is the next level and with the addition of an LSD can beat the 911 out of the gate on the track. Slightly different equation.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:58 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1957 356
914-6 and 928??? Not sure where you're going with that. Might as well throw in the 944 which can be developed into a great track car and as some have proven the 944 turbo can beat just about any 911.
I was going down the road of performance handling (914-6) and beating 911s (the 928 of Mark Anderson) does not make perceptions change. I left out the 944 series because they are so heavily raced right now and didn't add to the point. They are going to be what they are going to be. The Cayman will always be one of the other cars that Porsche sold when they were selling 911s.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:25 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It seems there are 2 debates here; prestige and track performance.

It's hard to argue with 40+ years of production and race vistories as far as prestige is concerned.

BUT on trak performance stock for stock the Cayman S is already faster than a C2 and depending on the track can give the C2S a run for it's money. Of course if you're thinking about the GT3 and its varients they are on another level altogether.

Flame suit on...
Old 09-30-2007, 11:46 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok, guys let's just discuss track performance, I edited the thread.....
And I welcome all your inputs....
Old 09-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh sure, change the thread to meet your desired outcome!

Given equally preparred cars, it all depends on which "911" you are talking about.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:55 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Well that's just a pile of crap. You effectively took all my posts and made them sound like I'm talking about a completely different topic.

Change the thread title back and then start a new topic.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:02 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Joe, you are right.....

The title is as it originally started......

What I wanted to know it is about the "feel", the excitement that comes from driving one of these two cars on the track say at 9/10.......

So far the 911 is been more exciting, but then again, it is full set up and way more responsive than my stock Cayman S thus it wouln't be fair to compare......
Old 09-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

The point we were debating is the impact that track performance/motorsports success has on the "prestige" of a porsche model. The 911 would not have the "prestige" that it has now if it were not for its motorsports success.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:50 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Boston-- 2 entirely different cars. 87 is a raw car compared to the refined Cayman. Part of that is the 20 years of development/refinement part of that is the fact that your car is fully prepared.

Sure the 911 has prestige from it's motorsports success. It's the only production car that Porsche has truly supported in racing. The Cayman will always be an also ran. Not because of it's performance capabilities but for the fact that the 911 will continue to dominate the racing scene of Porshces by sheer numbers.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:12 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Boston-- 2 entirely different cars. 87 is a raw car compared to the refined Cayman. Part of that is the 20 years of development/refinement part of that is the fact that your car is fully prepared.

Sure the 911 has prestige from it's motorsports success. It's the only production car that Porsche has truly supported in racing. The Cayman will always be an also ran. Not because of it's performance capabilities but for the fact that the 911 will continue to dominate the racing scene of Porshces by sheer numbers.

The Cayman will end up like the 944. A competent car with a loyal following but still the king of the block is the 911. The high production numbers and low entry cost will likely make sure that there are a TON of them out there in coming years.

Quick Reply: Will the Cayman ever take over the prestige of a 911?