Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

What does "permanent" mean?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I think it means everything but the carpets in the footwell of the front and back seats that can be removed . In other words, permanent means glued in.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:35 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
#20 is for non-permanently affixed carpeting
Boy, they really have a stick up their butt about the carpeting. Who runs with their front trunck carpet in?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

The whole thing is very silly. The fact of the matter is that when it comes to cosmetics that have no influence on performance, we should be able to remove anything as long as we make weight.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:04 PM
JayP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noob Question...
What -is- the point of keeping a stock interior? I can see keeping the dash and maybe the door panels but stuff like carpet, headliners and door bins?

I saw a terrific 951 racer driven to the track with 100% of the interior in tact with a cage installed. The car would be 100% street legal with zero carpet and pass PCA tech, so what's the point?
Old 09-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

"stock" is the problem. Stock classes are intended to be as close to as delivered from the factory as possible. I believe the original intent was to give the weekend warrior even footing without having to invest in a fully built out race car - just take your daily driver and race it. Unfortunately, sometimes we can't see the forest through the trees.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Yes, I think the main problem is the STOCK designaton to begin with. There is nothing stock about a track prepared PCA race car. Shocks, spring rates, bushings, swaybars and strut tower bracing is free. Full Cage recomended. Gutting the door for safety is free. Full race seats with 5-7 point harnesses, wider wheels and tires with race compound rubber. Brake cooling ducts, racing brake pads with machined rotors. Racing brake fluid. Added aero with larger splitters and wings also allowed. You can lighten the car to a pre-determined weight and even add a fuel cell. Butt...

If you take out your trunk carpet or interior you are moved up to GT class. RIGHT. I think the real spirit and logic of what we are really doing is flawed and really needs to be looked at. Now, I don't mind putting an RS carpet set back into the car. Not that big of a deal and I think looks nice but I don't think my racing competieion with out it should be moved out of my class because of it as long as they meet weight and the car looks well kept. Now if you leave glue and foam everywhere and the car generally looks like crap and is a hazzard to rescue workers then I do have a problem with that.

Off of soap box now
Old 09-28-2007, 08:17 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I need a your input.

I have an F class 78' SC 911 that I use for DE. Right now I don't think I am going to pursue my club license to race it and the interior is really ratty looking.
As a winter project I was thinking of pulling the interior and freshening it up with an RS treatment. Does this make sense or should I leave alone just in case?

Do the RS interior......
Old 09-29-2007, 09:26 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasser
Yes, I think the main problem is the STOCK designaton to begin with. There is nothing stock about a track prepared PCA race car. Shocks, spring rates, bushings, swaybars and strut tower bracing is free. Full Cage recomended. Gutting the door for safety is free. Full race seats with 5-7 point harnesses, wider wheels and tires with race compound rubber. Brake cooling ducts, racing brake pads with machined rotors. Racing brake fluid. Added aero with larger splitters and wings also allowed. You can lighten the car to a pre-determined weight and even add a fuel cell. Butt...

If you take out your trunk carpet or interior you are moved up to GT class. RIGHT. I think the real spirit and logic of what we are really doing is flawed and really needs to be looked at. Now, I don't mind putting an RS carpet set back into the car. Not that big of a deal and I think looks nice but I don't think my racing competieion with out it should be moved out of my class because of it as long as they meet weight and the car looks well kept. Now if you leave glue and foam everywhere and the car generally looks like crap and is a hazzard to rescue workers then I do have a problem with that.

Off of soap box now
+1. Exactly.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:48 PM
YZ250
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

The carpet in my 951 was severly hacked putting in the cage. Looks were not apparently important to that owner. This option for an RS carpet kit sounds perfect for cleaning up this mess. Does anyone have a link?
Old 09-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

www.appbiz.com
Old 09-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I need a your input.

I have an F class 78' SC 911 that I use for DE. Right now I don't think I am going to pursue my club license to race it and the interior is really ratty looking.
As a winter project I was thinking of pulling the interior and freshening it up with an RS treatment. Does this make sense or should I leave alone just in case?
Yup. Hire a stripper.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:54 PM
YZ250
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Thanks for link, but their web site does not list carpet for 944's. Is there another source?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Oops, sorry. Out of my depth when it comes to 944's.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gasser

Off of soap box now
Don't forget the Lexan windshield and aero mirrors

Quick Reply: Should I strip the interior?