Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theoretical Best Lap (TBL) Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007 | 08:29 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
Hmm, any opinion of 2:15s to 2:17s on street tires in a stock 997S? I'm guessing that's not too bad then. TBL was within a second or so of that (1/2 second to 1.5 second at the worst -- it was raining in some of those sessions).
Ron, I think I saw you at Cups & Saucers. My car is a blue C2 993 with "D" stickers on it. I thought you were running great. My trans went south due to an installation mistake by my shop (wrong collar on the spline) so I only ran the rain sessions and one clearing session. My best time at that point was a 2:14 flat. I had factory headers also. I recently put a Fabspeed Supercup exhaust/headers on and dropped the second plus I was hoping for plus learning to follow Collins advice in the outer loop and FLB T10 with my foot flat to the floor. Ironically, I did not even bother with running Hoosiers, but instead ran MSPC's.

Eric, not sure what your talking about "sucking" I bet last year my times were the same as yours. If you don't have the options on your car that I do then you cannot expect similar times. I also have found little changes in the car at the Glen can make huge differences in laptimes. I only ran 2:15 and 2:16s during the club race this year at the Glen. Granted my car had issues then, but excuses don't win a race.

Bummer is I think my car would do well in the upcoming clubrace, but I just spent way too much on getting it back on the road and I have withdraw from SP. (that thing called marriage gets involved).
Old 09-26-2007 | 09:24 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT

Paolo -- I'd be happy to have you check it out and depending on what run group you are in, you can put it in your car and run a session -- it only takes about 5 minutes to install.
Ron, great, I am going to take you up on your offer so I have some basis for systems comparison..... I will be running in White......

I will be parked next to Gary's guinea orange 930, I am sure you won't miss him...........
Old 09-26-2007 | 11:43 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by analogmike
A 2:13 at the Glen in a 993 is very fast, you don't suck at all if you are within a few seconds of that with R tires or several seconds on street tires.
Please don't pump up his ego. He didn't tell you about the secret Nitrous button....
Old 09-27-2007 | 12:07 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993

Bummer is I think my car would do well in the upcoming clubrace, but I just spent way too much on getting it back on the road and I have withdraw from SP. (that thing called marriage gets involved).
Bob, that sucks!! We had seven cars in D! I was hoping I could keep up with you and the 964 cup cars and the 930 turbos and the 944 turbo cups and...
Old 09-27-2007 | 12:39 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

...Eric, not sure what your talking about "sucking" I bet last year my times were the same as yours. If you don't have the options on your car that I do then you cannot expect similar times. I also have found little changes in the car at the Glen can make huge differences in laptimes. I only ran 2:15 and 2:16s during the club race this year at the Glen. Granted my car had issues then, but excuses don't win a race...
Nah, I'm pretty sure I suck. I've only driven there 2 days but the best I could do was 2:20 on R-comps. It takes me probably 5 days to really master a track. Unlike some of us, ahem MarkInBaltimore cough cough, who can go to a new track (Putnam) and master it in 2 days!!
Old 09-27-2007 | 08:08 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Eric, The Glen is different just ask Mark. He was starting to get the track figured out at the club race, but it takes time and large ones (or a belief system). You have 2 days there and I have too many to actually count. A good coach will take 2 secs off your time in less than a day. Buy Larry a couple of cigars and a bag of Peanut M&M's. Beer and wine help also.
Old 09-27-2007 | 08:37 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
...Consistent is what you want to pair with "perfection" and that gets the sponsors
I think it's "speed" what we and sponsors want...

In all seriousness when you're not "driving the hell out of it", it's easier to be consistent than when you're really doing 10/10ths, kinda like what Mario Andretti once said: “If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”

I couldn't agree more with Mario, it's easy to be totally under control, no sliding, going over the curbs little too much etc. when you're not driving 10/10ths but when you are driving 10/10ths, often there are some "holy ****" moments in there and hands are doing a lot of work.

With that said, consistency usually is a good thing and Ron you're doing good out there, 911 is quite different from BMW. Now when you get more and more comfortable, you can start pushing more and thern most likely you'll notice bigger differences and/or find corners where it is harder for you to match the best section time you have done.
Old 09-27-2007 | 10:49 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

+1^^

Gary R. recently posted about his times at LRP. He was running 1:03's but had a TBL of 1:00. When you start really pushing you should start to see bigger swings.
Old 09-27-2007 | 11:23 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Nah, I'm pretty sure I suck. I've only driven there 2 days but the best I could do was 2:20 on R-comps. It takes me probably 5 days to really master a track. Unlike some of us, ahem MarkInBaltimore cough cough, who can go to a new track (Putnam) and master it in 2 days!!
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Eric, but I've been to Putnam once before and did my first DE there about four years ago.

Eric, The Glen is different just ask Mark. He was starting to get the track figured out at the club race, but it takes time and large ones (or a belief system). You have 2 days there and I have too many to actually count.
Bob's right. Putnam is a really easy place to push since it's so flat and has so much run-off room. The Glen has secrets that it is much less willing to give up. Although go into knee-jerk mode and blame my broken rear sway bar mount for a second or two at the last club race, there's no denying that I would still be off the pace by 2+ seconds. I have three weekends there.

So, don't beat yourself up too hard for not being to lay down incredible laps. Not many people can do that. Just don't talk to forklift aka Jim Evans; IIRC, he did a 2'11" his first weekend there.

Quick Reply: Theoretical Best Lap (TBL) Question